Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Thom-

Brooklyn is a unique as hell place. Where I'm at, Bay Ridge, we outwardly make fun of the Billyburg hipster...you know the guy who's a musician, plays in a shitty band, at hipster bars in Billyburg, where only their hipster friends go to support them because mommy and daddy's trust fund is paying for their bitchin' pad and living expenses. But inwardly we wish we lived there. Its a cool place with a lot of cool art/music/food scenes. Most people in Williamsburg are first generation Brooklynites, and are a lot like the artsy Manhattanite of 2 decades ago.

Where Mike is on Smith St is kind of a middle ground. You have some of the artsy element, some of the old school Carroll Gardens Italian, and some moneyed yuppies (not using the term in a derogatory way, but there are a lot of wealthy Young Urban Professionals who live there). Great food and drink scene and some very pretty streets (I personally think Williamsburg is too industrial looking and ugly, but the hipsters love that).

Over the Gowanus, a short walk from Smith St) you have Park Slope, which is another beautiful neighborhood, and a lot like Carroll Gardens minus the Italians. There you'll have fewer artsy folks, more yuppies, LOTS of strollers, and substitute Irish for the CG Italians. There's also Prospect Park, lots of cool places to eat and drink, and a few places that will have some decent music (a cool rench Jazz place used to be on 9th Street.

Bay Ridge is cool, but more family oriented and an old school Brooklyn neighborhood. We have a Century 21 down here and some cool bars and restaurants, but nothing as gourmet as Williamsburg, PS and CG. With our large Middle Eastern population we have some of the best Mediterranean Cuisine in the city. Try Tanoreen on 3rd Ave. We also have a GREAT burger joint on 5th called Skinflints, thats been a neighborhood spot for AGES (think pre-War). Some of the best Italian-American can be found in Bensonhurst at Ortobello's (looks like a hole in the wall) on Bay Parkway, L&B Spumni Gardens on 86th St off Stillwell (more Gravesend), and DiFara's Pizza on Avenue J and E13th St (also more Midwood) but bordering Bensonhurst. Dyker Heights has some cool old school Italian groceries, salumerias and bakeries, and being right next door to Bay Ridge (and home to my tailor Ercoles) I'm always there.

As far as the place, if its in Williamsburg I'm sure its a cool place to stay. Williamsburg is also a stones throw from Manhattan by subway and if you're near a train (the L, J, M, Z all run through the neighborhood). If you're staying in Billyburg, please go eat one night at Bemontes on Withers St...one of the three oldest Italian Restaurants in NYC (and home to a Sopranos whack). Its freakin' delicious and the waiters are old school tux wearing mutha fuckin' Eyetalians. Get a Nigroni from the bar.

Hope that helps, and sorry Mike for shitting up the thread with Brooklyn stuff. PM me if you want more deets or have any questions...

2. GBear

GBear Senior member

Haha I just received my pair but haven't had a chance to try them on yet. I don't own any MMM, but I do have GATs. :p should be a good laugh :)

3. applky

applky Senior member

Respect for admitting that, man. I have never wanted to live there but a lot of people find it appealing.

The new Armor Lux stuff looks so great!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. NewYorkIslander

Its a very happening place, with lots of cool art and food. Not for me either though, but probably mostly cause I can't imagine raising kids there.

+1 on those tees.

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Glad Thom got his answer, but then here are some Carmina photos as well. Saddle shell double monks, worn without socks and with the top buckle undone to give these people fits, the ones who want to tell you how to wear your shoes. :)

The calf version posted a little earlier looks great, by the way. Don't think you can go wrong with these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

How did XL sell out in 30 min?

7. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses and no worries at all. Nothing that we make is perfect, and we're always seeking to improve things. Luxurious items often need a little TLC and most issues can be easily repaired if they happen to crop up. I'll never leave anyone hanging, and we're always easy to reach, so please don't hesitate to contact us directly if something happens to your trousers, shoes, sportcoats, - really, anything that you buy here - and we'll do whatever we can to take care of it for you.

Not at the moment. When we re-do the penobscot, we'll probably keep it on that leather sole. I've seen a camp sole beefroll around through - maybe from Rancourt?

Sure thing, we always welcome NYC questions here.

I haven't seen that hotel personally, but it looks cool from the website. I'd say that Williamsburg is hands-down the best neighborhood to stay in Brooklyn. Shopping is ho-hum, but the bar and restaurant scene is fantastic. My favorite bar there is Dram, and for restaurants check out Peter Luger's, Dressler, and Fette Sau. Brooklyn Bowl is great. There's tons of shows and other stuff going on there too. Williamsburg would be hectic to live in, but it's fantastic to visit. If you have a good rate on that hotel, then I'd grab it.

It's a good location too. You're one stop outside of the city - and the L runs along 14th street which puts you near the East Village, West Village, Chelsea, etc. You can connect easily to trains going uptown. You can get the "G" to other areas in Brooklyn too. When you come, run by one of my shops and we can give you a whole list of things to do. Or drop a PM to Matt - he's a walking Williamsburg encyclopedia.

NYR - funny that you mentioned Bamontes, I was just there yesterday for lunch. That place is amazing. It is the hardest-core Eyetalian restaruant that I've ever been to. Food's great but the atmosphere is unbelievable. I took my Boston Terrier in a bag (not technically allowed, but most restaurants don't care because she's silent in there) and they let me take her out. They then fed her a meatball. The chance of a health service official - or any official at all really - ever busting this place is probably pretty remote.

8. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Ah sorry Scott, we actually didn't receive an XL in these - we were short shipped.

9. slack tide

slack tide Senior member

Nice man, I decided I wanted the gitman pindot this afternoon so the restock was serendipitous timing. instakopped.

10. oisin

oisin Senior member

man, i haven't visited brooklyn in about a year and you guys are making me want to get back out there. some of it is very ridiculous, but also very awesome. if only i could find a job that i liked out that way, i'd trade LA for Brooklyn for sures and join the home brewing urban gardening fancy clothes wearing hordes.

11. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Don't forget Diner and Marlow and Sons...Great dinner spots in Williamsburg. If they have the porterhouse for two with marrow butter at Diner, you gotta jump on it.

12. NewYorkIslander

That's hilarious. Monte's on Carroll St. (just over the Canal from you guys) re-opened but its under different ownership...that was another place that you'd never be afraid of an inspector shutting down. Did you have the lasagne? I had my rehearsal dinner there and Fat Joe was the only other diner, with two hot chicks eating at a table behind us.

13. scottcw

scottcw Senior member

My last 2 years in NY were on 3rd Place between Court and Clinton. Great neighborhood. Unfortunately, I left before Epaulet opened.

The Grocery on Smith is/was excellent.

Schnack on Union near Columbia was great for... wait for it.... snacks. Edit - Never mind, closed.

In Williamsburg, Sea was great and there was a great Indian place on either 2nd or 3rd Street.

My take on Luger's is pass unless they have improved significantly. I went there with friends several times. We kept going back in hopes that they were just having an off day, but it was always poor.

14. applky

applky Senior member

Some parts are like an outdoor college dorm. Still it's a great place to stay. The food has gotten amazing in the past 24 months.

Dear god the saddle dub monks are insane. Well done Frank!

DRAM -- you too? Love that place. A good friend lives around the corner from there. I've spent many a long night at that fine establishment. The Post Office is another great bar with a killer modified negroni. Another vote for Fette Sau as well -- as from the cocktails everything there is fantastic (the brisket especially).

15. mymil

mymil Senior member

Is the Gitman Vintage indigo pindot chambray shirt long enough to tuck? I don't have access to a shirt to measure at the moment, but it seems too short to tuck in.