Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. trig

trig Senior member

Awww, am I the only one sad to hear of a change to regular buttons? I am actually quite a fan of the metal buttons.

2. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Ha! Thanks. Yeah, I've been busy with a couple music projects, plus I've had to assist from a systems side with an office move. I'll explain to my boss that SF is the priority here.

- K

3. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Duck canvas has thicker yarn and a larger weave structure than our standard canvas. In the same way that corduroy comes in different wales, canvas can come in different weave weights. The fabric itself isn't necessarily that much heavier, but it uses a larger-gauge weave. It's going to be a great addition to the line. Japanese jeanswear companies use it pretty frequently as a denim alternative. Here's an example pic:

[​IMG]

We do more shipping out of the Manhattan store, so generally there's a larger selection there - especially footwear and trousers.

You and me both. I personally loved the metal buttons and it was my idea to use them. But I changed them for three reasons:

1. It was important to include a proper seam allowance in these new chinos. One of the most beloved features of the Walt/Rudy is the ability to precisely tailor the waist and the seat. I wanted to extend that to the rivet chino line. I couldn't find a manufacturer who could do both proper seam allowances and metal denim buttons.

2. The metal buttons were pretty reliable, but they failed and broke off on rare occasions. As luck would have it, they would fall off for customers in remote places where getting them reattached is a world-class pain in the ass. You need a special press to do it, and it can be difficult to locate a tailor with this item. The resin buttons will be lock stitched and resistant to falling off. But if they do, it's a simple fix to do on your own or at a dry cleaner. Each new rivet chino will include extra buttons in case this happens.

3. Lots of our customers live in places with HOT summers. Especially our friends in Asia. And NYC in August is basically like Singapore. It's so freaking hot here. The metal buttons would ruin really lightweight fabrics. With the standard buttons, we can run Summertime rivet chinos in light fabrications like oxford cloth. And by golly, we surely will!

I liked the denim factory that we initially used for the Rivet Chinos, but - as you guys know - the deliveries were slow and inconsistent. Our new partners can supply the same quality, better construction, and timely, monthly deliveries. This way we can build out the line with a ton of new options. They're still made in the US, and they'll still kick some serious ass.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Um, Oxford Cloth Rivets...oh shit.

5. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Mike-
    What is the hand like on the new Canvas Walts? When I think of canvas I think of very rough and rigid feeling
    Are they prone to wrinkling?

6. ceoceo

ceoceo Senior member

My heart stopped for a moment when I thought you will be handling SDA stuffs..:embar:

7. jiomitori

jiomitori Senior member

Mike,

Can we order a pair of Walts in a Chino material in the same way that we can order pair of Rudys from a Walt material? Or is that a different situation?

8. Epaulet

Haha, they're going to be totally ridiculous. I can't wait for them.

Well, "canvas" just refers to the plain weave of the fabric. It's a tough, abrasion-resistant way to weave cotton so a lot of the canvas that we know is used in heavier applications like bags, tarps, workwear coats, etc. But it can be woven with finer and softer yarns.

The standard chino canvas that we currently use has a great hand and we're gotten excellent feedback on it. It breathes well, it drapes well, and it's very long wearing.

The duck canvas is going to be tougher at first. Since we discontinued our denim, I wanted to offer a chino that can stand in for a raw jean. The duck is tough and a little stiff at first, but will break in wonderfully with some wear. That's why the Japanese companies are into it.

Haha, as much as I like SDA and I'm a huge fan of Osaka, the idea of selling $300+ unsanforized jeans would make my heart stop. That's a business that's best left to the experts at Blue in Greene. We do chinos and trousers best, so we're sticking to our core competence.

No, as they're made in two separate places. But, we'll soon offer the Walts in a range of basic chino-ish fabrics and colors. That line should come in around April or so.

Speaking of trousers - I got quite a few PM's on the Racing Green canvas. I cut all of the fabric that we have, so we won't be able to do any special orders on it, and we unfortunately can't restock it. We're sold out of size 30, but I've still got a few units in each of the other sizes. If they're grabbing you, you'll probably want to get them sooner than later - especially if you're a 28 or a 36.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012

9. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Mike:
    Any madras shirts coming for Spring/Summer? My stocks are low and I'm in the market for something in a long sleeve. I missed out on what you had up recently. Any fabric sitting around that I can get you to cut specially for me?

10. oisin

oisin Senior member

any chance this means we can get chinos with an inch or two longer inseam (or some allowance for taking them out an inch or two)? Unfortunately after purchasing two pairs of chinos I've decided I can't get anymore because they are too darn short on me.

or maybe this will help.

11. Epaulet

Yes sir, we actually just got an awesome madras shirt in. It's gonna go online next week, and it's long sleeve. We have plenty of stock in it.

The chinos will be made with a 36" inseam, but if that's too short, then the new Walt line may be just the ticket for you.

12. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

mike-
    I was referring to the canvas on the Racing Green Walts.
    What is hand like on that? Is it soft? Is it prome to wrinkling?

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Outstanding. I'll be on the lookout for it.

14. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

The mixed media wingtips sound interesting, can't wait to see/get an idea as to what they will look like -

15. Jimbosaurus

Jimbosaurus Senior member

[redacted]