• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, after like 80 years, Hertling is no more. It's definitely sad to see. I was always hoping that he'd find a way to keep it going.

Sucks. I have about 6 pairs of their pants, at least 3 from Epaulet (not sure if they made the old rivets from around 2010 - i have two more of those), 3 direct. They were always high quality, even though the direct purchases were always torture to acquire months after ordering.

looks like their going out of business sale is bundles of 5 random pants in your size. I'd be too worried never to get them to actually place the order. But, for $298, it's a good price if you need a lot of pants and you'd take pot luck.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Sucks. I have about 6 pairs of their pants, at least 3 from Epaulet (not sure if they made the old rivets from around 2010 - i have two more of those), 3 direct. They were always high quality, even though the direct purchases were always torture to acquire months after ordering.

looks like their going out of business sale is bundles of 5 random pants in your size. I'd be too worried never to get them to actually place the order. But, for $298, it's a good price if you need a lot of pants and you'd take pot luck.
I gotta be honest. I would very much discourage anyone on this thread from sending them any money whatsoever.

5 pants for $300 is a good deal, but there’s zero guarantee that you’re going to receive anything. And chargebacks don’t work if the vendor doesn’t have funds to pull. Credit card companies sure as hell aren’t paying chargebacks from their own money.

smmrfld

Reaction score
Very sad. Nordstrom used to carry a line of gabardine Hertling suits in a variety of colors, and I had one of each. The drape, cut, and construction were outstanding.

Reactions: ljl

banjozombie

Reaction score
Are the denim chainstitch shirts the same size as your previous chainstitch shirts? I'm a bit in between sizes and knowing if they run different than previous ones will help me make a decision. With shirts (not just Epaulets) Large is often times to long and blousey, Mediums run a little tight in the chest.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Very sad. Nordstrom used to carry a line of gabardine Hertling suits in a variety of colors, and I had one of each. The drape, cut, and construction were outstanding.

Yeah those were the golden years. They made suits at their Driggs Ave factory until the late 90's. I've never actually seen one of their jackets, but they were the primary domestic supplier for Nordstrom for decades.

Are the denim chainstitch shirts the same size as your previous chainstitch shirts? I'm a bit in between sizes and knowing if they run different than previous ones will help me make a decision. With shirts (not just Epaulets) Large is often times to long and blousey, Mediums run a little tight in the chest.

We definitely optimized the fit on these and rebalanced the shirt from the ground up. I'd say that it's more true to size and a bit larger than our classic Gitman and New England shirts.

Which Chainstitch shirts have you owned? If it's one of our OG ones like the Thomas Mason oxford, then this is fairly on par for chest/waist/shoulder.

If you own one of the overdyed or bleached shirts, then this is going to fit about a half size larger.

For reference, our model is 6' 180lb and wearing a size Large. He definitely has some room in it...

DSC02204 copy.jpg

banjozombie

Reaction score
Thanks, Eva. This might be better through DM, but here goes, since you asked:

I have bought these chainstitch shirts pictured below within the last few years, so I don't know what Gitmans or New Englands are.

Shirts 1 and 2 are size L
Shirt 3 is a M

Shirts 1 and 2 fit better overall, I feel, than shirt 3, which is very tight in the wrists and a bit tight on my chest and midsection - but the length is right. However, the Ls are quite long, #1 coming down to the bottom of my butt, which is too long. I would likely wear a chambray shirt untucked, so I'm not sure what to do.

I think I wear a 40 in a Doyle, but it's hard to say since you changed sizes on the jackets, if I recall. I fit well in a size 40 Sinclair (think Woolrich donegal era), but following that, I bought a mink 38 Doyle that was way too big, so I'm not sure what to do. I took a M in the Alpaca sweaters and they fit well.

The model above at 6'0 has room in a L, so at 5'7, 160 lbs, I'd swim in a L.

It's unfortunate that the DCDBs can't be exchanged for a different size or credit, as if it doesn't work, I'll be stuck with it.

epaulet.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, Eva. This might be better through DM, but here goes, since you asked:

I have bought these chainstitch shirts pictured below within the last few years, so I don't know what Gitmans or New Englands are.

Shirts 1 and 2 are size L
Shirt 3 is a M

Shirts 1 and 2 fit better overall, I feel, than shirt 3, which is very tight in the wrists and a bit tight on my chest and midsection - but the length is right. However, the Ls are quite long, #1 coming down to the bottom of my butt, which is too long. I would likely wear a chambray shirt untucked, so I'm not sure what to do.

I think I wear a 40 in a Doyle, but it's hard to say since you changed sizes on the jackets, if I recall. I fit well in a size 40 Sinclair (think Woolrich donegal era), but following that, I bought a mink 38 Doyle that was way too big, so I'm not sure what to do. I took a M in the Alpaca sweaters and they fit well.

The model above at 6'0 has room in a L, so at 5'7, 160 lbs, I'd swim in a L.

It's unfortunate that the DCDBs can't be exchanged for a different size or credit, as if it doesn't work, I'll be stuck with it.

View attachment 1914755
Gotcha, thanks for posting all of this! You do have a good collection! You can expect a much better fit overall on this piece... we optimized it at every dimension.

Given your height/weight, I'd definitely say a Medium for you. I think that would actually be a pretty great fit in the body. The cuffs shouldn't be a problem. The model in that pic is about 20lb heavier and even he had some space in the Large. Medium should give you a similar fit to his.

Body length might be a bit longer than you like if you want it shorter, but that's subjective. Best would be to check that against a shirt that you already like.

I'll definitely do some open stock on this... so if you're more comfortable waiting for the delivery, you can totally return any of the stock pieces for a full refund or exchange.

scb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
question: on the new site, if I go to buy a shirt, I don't even see where to choose a size. Am I just an idiot, or is that not there anywhere anymore?

also, anyone have that Sky & Cherry splatter dot shirt? can't decide between that and the indigo scratch

Last edited:

L.I.T.

Reaction score
question: on the new site, if I go to buy a shirt, I don't even see where to choose a size. Am I just an idiot, or is that not there anywhere anymore?

also, anyone have that Sky & Cherry splatter dot shirt? can't decide between that and the indigo scratch

Hi @scb @Epaulet is working on adding the menus back soon for a new promo. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Yes, @L.I.T. is correct.. I'm re-doing the entire custom shirting assortment from scratch. Trying to get it refreshed and posted today. The new layout will make it a lot easier to order shirts through our menus.

I have some absolutely fantastic pure linens from Somelos and Albini to launch too....

Watermelon Mojito.jpg
Champagne Delave.jpg
Blue Curacao.jpg

Reactions: scb

SteveL91

Reaction score
Yes, @L.I.T. is correct.. I'm re-doing the entire custom shirting assortment from scratch. Trying to get it refreshed and posted today. The new layout will make it a lot easier to order shirts through our menus.

I have some absolutely fantastic pure linens from Somelos and Albini to launch too....
How would you recommend pairing the watermelon mojito or lemon drop check? They look amazing, but I don't know that I could pull them off...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How would you recommend pairing the watermelon mojito or lemon drop check? They look amazing, but I don't know that I could pull them off...

I'd say that Watermelon Mojito is my favorite of the whole bunch. Followed by Oyster Delave.

The Mojito shirt has a ton of pastel colors, but they're all really Summery and easily matched to any skin tone. I'd stick with lighter pants. Chinos in khaki, stone, off-white, or really pale olive would work. A solid navy pant would probably be the only darker pant that I'd match it to. It's a great match to a washed out or lighter jean. It would play nice with a medium-dark denim as long as the denim isn't too thick and tough. Our Garand in Rainbow selvedge is an example of a darker denim that would still work nicely IMO

In terms of jackets, Mojito would go nicely under any jacket that's blue, khaki, or olive. Would also look great under a white jacket if you have one of thoset.

Lemon drop is more difficult for sure. I think that one exclusively needs lighter pants, and if you have paler skin, it could wash you out. These really pale yellow tones are difficult that way.
I also can't recommend Oyster enough. We sell a good amount of white linen shirts, but they're really blaring optic white and they are a little bit translucent by nature. White linen is a Summertime staple, but it also can look a little bit off when it's not super hot.

The Oyster delivers the same amount of wearability as a white linen but it's far more versatile IMO. It's totally opaque, it has a rad texture up close, and you can wear it outside of the proper Summertime. Because of the wash process, Delave tends to wrinkle less than regular linen (of course, it still wrinkles though). Way back in the day at Saks, I used to sell linen Delave shirts from the likes of Zegna all year round. It works as a lightweight and textured alternative to cotton. And it's a perfect solid underpinning for any patterned jackets.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads