• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
OUR NEW DOYLE PRE-ORDER PROJECT

Hey guys! We're back with our first Doyle project for the year. We sourced four awesome new fabrics, and we'll be taking orders from today through next Thursday (1/13).

You can check out the project and place an order here.

Since I can speak candidly here, these are the details:

1) Compared to the general pandemic-era chaos of the past 18 months, our preorders are MUCH more organized and fast now. Our new factory is making things quickly and Ming is doing an amazing job with management and oversight. When we say we'll deliver by the end of February, we mean it!

2) I even have samples of the items we're offering. This was freaking impossible before. These days, we get proper samples made in a week. They're available at our Redondo Beach showroom if any LA-area locals want to stop by and check them out.

3) Preorders will all be done with a price incentive. Often times, we have a 15% off code for stock items when they launch. For preorders, we're building in a discount of about 20% for anyone who orders in advance. Any open stock is then listed at full price.

4) Preorders allow you to access our full size range and all available fabrics. If you need a 36, 46, or 48... these sizes are preorder only. I'd suggest doing a preorder if you take a 38 or a 44 as well -- we typically only stock one or two units in those sizes.

5) Customizations (sleeve and body length changes, pocket changes) are not possible with these group buys. They can absolutely be done via our program with Hickey Freeman, though the price is significantly higher. You can also commission these fabrics as a Field Jacket, sportcoat, or trouser. I'll make seperate items for that and present them on Saturday.

NOW ONTO THE FABRICS.......

View attachment 1733310
This has been our most popular preorder fabric so far, and it's no wonder why. It's freaking amazing! Patchwork is a bold look, but this hits a nice balance of being visually striking but still very much wearable. And it's insanely comfortable. It's one of the softest denims that I've handled. If you're a fan of the Doyle shape, then I think this is a must. Preorder price is $195, which is really competitive for a distinct fabric like this.

View attachment 1733311
This cotton-wool-lyocell blend is a bit like tweed and denim had a child. It has a polished and sharp look -- complete with a tonal herringbone weave and ecru flecks. But it's machine washable and wrinkle resistant. It's a great option for dressing up the Doyle and giving it a biz-caz vibe. Killer preorder price at $150... which is $25 less than our OG retail price for basic duck canvas.

View attachment 1733312
This is BONKERS, and one of the coziest wools that we've ever offered. The exterior has a soft felted hand... almost like a wool velvet, and the interior is a smooth flat will, much like a suiting jacket. The texture is gorgeous and this dark merlot color is perfect IMO. It's still going to be the dark days of Winter when we deliver, so you'll get plenty of wear out of this before it gets too cold. It works great as an outerwear piece or a cardigan-esque layering item under a thicker parka. Preorder price is $225 and stock is limited to about 10 more units.

View attachment 1733313
I was so glad to find this denim. Sourced from Nihon Menpu, it's a combination weave of black and dark indigo yarns. The overall color is a deep midnight blue and the broken twill weave gives off a cool texture when you see it up close. We kept it minimal with dark matched thread, and the color is deep enough that it's still totally wearable with a normal blue jean. This was crucial... as previous denim Doyles have always begged the question... "how do I wear that with jeans?" This works perfectly with them. It should fade like a beast over time too. This is also our opening preorder price of $150.

For this project, I switched up our usual video concept and shot each sample on the dress form with some narration. I need to slow down my camera work and get better at panning, but I'm hoping that this is a good technique to deliver a lot of extra content. Definitely open to feedback on this. When the weather is more cooperative, I might try to do it on a balcony for better lighting.

I’d love to do a black watch flannel and/or lightweight tiger camo in the doyle. I’ve tried both fabrics in other chore coats and they’re just not the doyle. If I wanted to commission a custom piece, do you have a fabric guy who might be a source for fabrics or would I need to sleuth the yardage out on my own?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I’d love to do a black watch flannel and/or lightweight tiger camo in the doyle. I’ve tried both fabrics in other chore coats and they’re just not the doyle. If I wanted to commission a custom piece, do you have a fabric guy who might be a source for fabrics or would I need to sleuth the yardage out on my own?

Blackwatch flannel we can totally do! They actually have that on hand right now at Hickey, so it could be made ASAP.

For Tiger Camo, I don't have a specific source, but this looks good to me for a lightweight and fairly inexpensive option...

I don't have a formal process for it, but we can pretty much do a custom Doyle in a customer-submitted fabric for $335. You buy and ship the stuff to Hickey Freeman, and we manage the process with them. We need 3 yards of cloth and it needs to be a fairly rigid fiber (cotton, wool, linen, hemp) with little to no stretch.

Drop Ming an email and we can get this going for you! The team at RTC is making excellent progress through our outstanding pieces and definitely ready for more work.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Ooo this is titillating and tempting. Is there a picture of the Hickey Freeman black watch anywhere?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Totally yes... it's a Ralph Lauren purple label fabric. We've been offering it as an under-collar accent for our Field Jackets.

You could actually reverse this setup and do blackwatch for the body and guncheck for the undercollar. That would be seriously boss -- especially with the leather wrapped buttons.

Would be $450 if you want to commission it. Just email Ming and we'll get it set up and submitted...

BW.jpg

L.I.T.

Reaction score

Van504

Reaction score
1B68E58C-8C08-4FEF-8AF2-119F1BB2F985.jpeg

1C6B8A9C-83F1-4C2A-BA2D-5168FD32EFAC.jpeg

2054FABD-6BB1-4786-B97F-F1E228EEB156.jpeg

I figured I’d share my kamigata dyeing experience with fellow epaulet enthusiasts. The kamigata is definitely my favorite jacket of all time so I’ve got a good bit of them I’ve purchased starting since their original run years ago. I try to also keep an eye on people selling theirs on B/S/T as well as eBay and Grailed so I’ve got multiple duplicates in the same color ways, some in different sizes for different fits. Anyway, I felt brave and decided to dye one of my olive sashiko ones to a rust orange since I missed out on the chestnut in the sashiko preorder event.

First pic is what it looked like before (although pictured is my other olive jacket in a smaller size),

2nd pic is after bleaching and dying with “rust orange”. I ended up looking like I worked at Home Depot. And 3rd pic is what I ended up with after dyeing with a chocolate brown. All in all I’m really happy with the result. Since then I’ve dyed one of my other duplicate sashikos into a black and another duplicate older denim one black as well.

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
Hrrrggghhh I missed out on the 42 original run shadow ink doyle. That’s a holy grail for me. I have that color in a parka and it’s maybe my favorite piece.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kamigata look great! I'm so happy w mine. Wish I'd grabbed one in natural Sashiko before they went away - can't dye to that.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
View attachment 1733652
View attachment 1733653
View attachment 1733655
I figured I’d share my kamigata dyeing experience with fellow epaulet enthusiasts. The kamigata is definitely my favorite jacket of all time so I’ve got a good bit of them I’ve purchased starting since their original run years ago. I try to also keep an eye on people selling theirs on B/S/T as well as eBay and Grailed so I’ve got multiple duplicates in the same color ways, some in different sizes for different fits. Anyway, I felt brave and decided to dye one of my olive sashiko ones to a rust orange since I missed out on the chestnut in the sashiko preorder event.

First pic is what it looked like before (although pictured is my other olive jacket in a smaller size),

2nd pic is after bleaching and dying with “rust orange”. I ended up looking like I worked at Home Depot. And 3rd pic is what I ended up with after dyeing with a chocolate brown. All in all I’m really happy with the result. Since then I’ve dyed one of my other duplicate sashikos into a black and another duplicate older denim one black as well.

This came out so great! I dig both the rust orange and the chocolate colorways. Thanks for posting up the pics!

Also, I applaud your taste in dogs... I've got a Boston with almost the same stripe marking on the back of her neck...

IMG_3308 2.JPG

Van504

Reaction score
This came out so great! I dig both the rust orange and the chocolate colorways. Thanks for posting up the pics!

Also, I applaud your taste in dogs... I've got a Boston with almost the same stripe marking on the back of her neck...

View attachment 1733913
Thanks! Mines named Ser Barristan after the greatest knight in Westeros for any A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones nerds. I’ve got two frenchies as well but he’s far by my smartest.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a new unboxing video! This includes a gorgeous Grey Ghost Donegal overcoat, Indigo Sashiko Suit, Navy Hopsack suit, an insane pure cashmere Doyle, and Wide Wale trousers

I may be braised, but that indigo sashiko suit looks fantastic!

Valfunde

Reaction score
@Epaulet Is there any status updates to the IS shirts? Been waiting a year+. Just want a confirmation if it's a go or no go. Assuming it's a no go and would rather have kept the shirts to sell/gift away but whatever I just want an update.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads