• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jlancia

Reaction score
@Epaulet I love the Chainstitch shirt and I've found it's shape and construction work best with heavier, textured fabrics like denim, moleskin, HBT, or rugged flannels (I'm still looking for the Akita from a few years back...). An indigo HBT specimen would be killer.

Last edited:

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
CHAINSTITCH SHIRT DYE CONCEPT

Hey guys,

Got an idea to run by you. We came across this amazing Japanese "Takumashi" twill from Yoshiwa Mills. It's a 7oz pure cotton that's an off-white "prepare for dye" tone.

Honestly, we're struggling a bit with where to take the Chainstitch shirt. As our markdown section would indicate, doing traditional shirting fabrics (oxfords, plaids, flannels) isn't a formula for success. Our sell through rates were pretty lousy, and even on sub-profitable markdown price, we still have some inventory left. I imagine that our Individualized program is a big part of that. A fully custom shirt with the exact details that you want isn't a whole lot more expensive than an OTR chainstitch shirt, so choosing between the two could be a no-brainer.

Anyway... I'm thinking that our future with this shape is to stress denims and dyed fabrics... the kind of stuff that we could never offer with Individualized. And the kind of thing that our factories in Los Angeles really excel at. So we sourced the nicest, strongest twill that we could. It takes the garment dye wonderfully, and the natural buttons get dyed as well... giving it a sharp monochromatic look.

I'm thinking to offer this in a few weeks as a preorder project. We can do a good lineup of colors (navy, olive, grey, black, aubergine) and offer the shirts for a fixed $95. We could potentially offer Shibori tie-dye and chevron effects too at an upcharge ($110). The shirts are really soft and comfortable, but the fabric is tough as hell. Great option for the Fall/Winter. They're preshrunk and you can wash and dry them to your heart's content.

What do you guys think? Any feedback on this project or the chainstitch shirt in general would be appreciated!!

View attachment 1661940 View attachment 1661941 View attachment 1661942
I like the chain stitch shirt. I own 3 of them. The sizing is great. I don't have to have them altered.

This last round was a tough sell for me, mostly because there were a few reds (buffalo, red/violet plaid thing) and if I am remembering correctly some other bold prints/colors.

My favorite is the my chambray version. I never seem to have enough chambray shirts, I would probably buy more variations in the future.

I like the idea of simple basic button up. Depending on the color I would consider buying. I have a ton of button ups so it would have to be something new/interesting or replacing another shirt.

goalaso

Reaction score
the wide is 8 wale, the garment dyed is 14 wale

@Epaulet do you recall what wale the Loro Piana corduroy was on the RTC/MTO Doyles from ~2019/2020? I believe there was green and merlot, both of which were called "wide wale". Trying to compare that wale to this from Visconti...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I like the chain stitch shirt. I own 3 of them. The sizing is great. I don't have to have them altered.

This last round was a tough sell for me, mostly because there were a few reds (buffalo, red/violet plaid thing) and if I am remembering correctly some other bold prints/colors.

My favorite is the my chambray version. I never seem to have enough chambray shirts, I would probably buy more variations in the future.

I like the idea of simple basic button up. Depending on the color I would consider buying. I have a ton of button ups so it would have to be something new/interesting or replacing another shirt.

Awesome, that's great to hear.. and yes you're totally right, we really didn't offer enough solid options. A lot of the patterns were from the Southwick Thomas Mason stash, and they weren't the most sensible match to the Chainstitch shirt. The "Ice Bleach" denim was our best seller by far, and of course we should restock that.

Do you dig this dyed twill? It's basic, but I could see this being a nice piece in anyone's wardrobe, and I'd love to hit a price point of under $100. I haven't been able to offer that since our very first LA-made shirts back in 2014. We can offer $95 with a final sale preorder and $125 as open stock later on. It's rad that we can do whatever color we like.

@Epaulet do you recall what wale the Loro Piana corduroy was on the RTC/MTO Doyles from ~2019/2020? I believe there was green and merlot, both of which were called "wide wale". Trying to compare that wale to this from Visconti...

Oh yes, that stuff was beautiful! That was finer than this Visconti cord. This cord is wider and also thicker, with more depth from the face to the top of the wales.

Hopefully next week I'll get the pumice washed sample which will really show how it can age. Don't forget that the esteemed "King of Corduroy" trophy will be awarded next month too!

IMG_8033.JPG

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
CUSTOM SHIRT PROMO STARTS TOMORROW

Hey dudes, big news over here. We're doing our seasonal custom shirt promo tomorrow, and three big things are going to happen:

1) ALL custom shirts are 15% off

2) If you buy five shirts, we'll refund the cost of the lowest price one. So you get five, but only pay for four. This can be stacked with the discount

3) For tomorrow only (Thursday, Sept 2nd), all shirts can get a MOP or Horn button upgrade for free. It's a $25 value per shirt, and I got Individualized to agree to it as a single day promotion, designed to drive a bunch of sales right at the start. I'm going to drop the newsletter first thing in the morning, and we'll be taking orders all day. I have to have them submitted by Friday morning to count for that, so we'll need to be strict with timing.

Two considerations on top of this:

1) If you need help with your sizing, you can still participate. We only need to have the orders confirmed and the fabrics reserved. So you can choose the option "create a custom profile" and Ming will follow up to figure out your sizing. This way you can get the free button upgrade tomorrow, and we'll figure out what you need shortly after that.

2) We're going to have a category of Portuguese flannels to add to the assortment. Here's a video below. A few fabrics are new, most were offered last year too. They're really excellent flannels, and it's a great time to order a few for the cooler weather. Figure that we'll be shipping these out to you around mid October...

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can the camp collars be done w/ our personal IS fit or do those collars have to be made up w/ the standard Epaulet fit? I seem to remember that being the case at one point, but I'm not sure if that was just for one specific promo or if that's always the case w/ IS.

goalaso

Reaction score
Awesome, that's great to hear.. and yes you're totally right, we really didn't offer enough solid options. A lot of the patterns were from the Southwick Thomas Mason stash, and they weren't the most sensible match to the Chainstitch shirt. The "Ice Bleach" denim was our best seller by far, and of course we should restock that.

Do you dig this dyed twill? It's basic, but I could see this being a nice piece in anyone's wardrobe, and I'd love to hit a price point of under $100. I haven't been able to offer that since our very first LA-made shirts back in 2014. We can offer $95 with a final sale preorder and $125 as open stock later on. It's rad that we can do whatever color we like.

Oh yes, that stuff was beautiful! That was finer than this Visconti cord. This cord is wider and also thicker, with more depth from the face to the top of the wales.

Hopefully next week I'll get the pumice washed sample which will really show how it can age. Don't forget that the esteemed "King of Corduroy" trophy will be awarded next month too!

View attachment 1661982
No Sinclairs on this cord run?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can the camp collars be done w/ our personal IS fit or do those collars have to be made up w/ the standard Epaulet fit? I seem to remember that being the case at one point, but I'm not sure if that was just for one specific promo or if that's always the case w/ IS.

Oh absolutely, we can put a camp collar on any IS shirt without an issue.

Gitman Bros had the restriction... they only did camp on their Gitman Vintage fit body. But the Camp is just another collar option for Individualized, you can totally match it to your regular specs. It's BOSS as a long sleeve shape, and we ran a lot of camp collar flannels last year.

No Sinclairs on this cord run?

Sorry no, the Sinclair is going to be tough as a stock item for the short term. We will offer it as an MTO shape through Hickey Freeman though.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet

Is the custom-leather-discount-code-thing still going on?

@mhip it technically ended last week, but I've got two guys where we're still figuring out the sizing. With the end of the month, people were on vacation and unable to take measurements.

So if you want to use it, I'll re-activate the code.. it's aero15 and that gets you 15% off the deposit. I'd just need the order by tomorrow. Holler if you have any questions... you can easily reach me through the chat function of the website.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@mhip it technically ended last week, but I've got two guys where we're still figuring out the sizing. With the end of the month, people were on vacation and unable to take measurements.

So if you want to use it, I'll re-activate the code.. it's aero15 and that gets you 15% off the deposit. I'd just need the order by tomorrow. Holler if you have any questions... you can easily reach me through the chat function of the website.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
But I was going to make an appointment at Redondo and go in to get all fitted up.
By tomorrow wouldn't work.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it.
But I was going to make an appointment at Redondo and go in to get all fitted up.
By tomorrow wouldn't work.

Oh that's totally fine. As long as you're comfortable placing the deposit today or tomorrow, I can send that to them and tell them that your sizing is pending.

We can see you next Wed or Friday for the appointment and confirm all of your details then. It's also really easy to do the fitting remotely if that's better for you... we just need you to measure and try on a similar casual jacket. I'd say about 95% of our Aero jackets are sold without an in-person fitting, so I'm really experienced with doing it.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh that's totally fine. As long as you're comfortable placing the deposit today or tomorrow, I can send that to them and tell them that your sizing is pending.

We can see you next Wed or Friday for the appointment and confirm all of your details then. It's also really easy to do the fitting remotely if that's better for you... we just need you to measure and try on a similar casual jacket. I'd say about 95% of our Aero jackets are sold without an in-person fitting, so I'm really experienced with doing it.
I'm gong to send you a DM.
I had a few questions.

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Yeah, I like it. Looks like a good casual shirt. I could definitely see a few hanging in my closet.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, I like it. Looks like a good casual shirt. I could definitely see a few hanging in my closet.

Okay rad, really glad to hear that! Yeah I do think that these shirts is what we've been missing in the assortment. I'll have samples in navy and shadow ink next week to show too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads