• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This is definitely a meaning of life type question!

Personally, I'd love something that crosses into double-breasted territory, but has VOLUME. So think adding an extra inch in the chest to most sizes, with a lapel that folds over 5-5.5"? 2x1 buttoning so it isn't so complicated and to prevent the buttons from taking away the drape that something like this in a sashiko could do. Maybe even have the bottom hem slope down towards the front (or, up towards the back?). Adding in patch pockets would keep it casual enough I'd think as well?

(Yes, there is a maker out there doing this, but I'm hesitant to say "just do what they are doing" because I don't feel like they nailed it, but the idea is a casual DB coat).

Oh rad, would love to look at that. Would you mind posting it here or DM'ing me?

To be honest, I don't see a scenario where we stock and make 100pcs of a double breasted coat, but it would be really easy to do a modified DB in dyed sashiko through RTC. We have a double breasted version of the Nuovo in work already, and customers could spec it however they like.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Weren't you kicking the tires on a shawl-collar bomber at some point a few years ago? Seems like that could maybe tick all the boxes as well.

Yes, we do have that existing bomber shape to work with. I loved it and we did pretty well with it overall. I think that for mass appeal.. the shape has to be longer and more doyle-ish. Unfortunately lots of guys just aren't comfortable with that shorter length.

However, that could be a rad item to offer custom with RTC next Spring. Imagine a wool-silk-linen bomber jacket!

Duke Silver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like that's something I'd actually want in a fleece or terry to wear in lieu of a zip-up hoodie.

I'd also echo that the only reason I never picked up a teba was the fabric selection. I'd likely be in for a tweed w/ leather buttons or a linen/wool/silk one for the warmer weather. If we're still in brainstorming mode, maybe something w/ the body and cuffs of the Doyle/Sinclair, but w/ a camp collar and just slash pockets at the hips? I feel like that would be nice a clean and could work w/ both the nicer fabrics at RTC as well as sashiko or duck canvas in LA.

And while we're on the subject of new styles, what's up w/ the drawstring pants?

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet - I've had a few double breasted pieces from you back when you were using Southwick and they always turned out phenomenal. I tended to gravitate towards rich corduroys, ultra-heavyweight tweeds, or nice bright linens (stuff that was a bit more interesting than a typical navy jacket) and would have loved to have been able to get them with a bit wider lapels and some other details like @espen describes.

(Sadly) I've lost so much weight over the past 18 months that I'm just swimming in excess fabric when I wear those jackets now.... though I did hold on to a few of them in case I fatten myself up anytime soon

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Epaulet have all of the Hertling pants from the most recent order been shipped? I am still missing mine

Edit - I missed some of the discussion on Hertling delays a few pages back, which explain a lot. Nevertheless unless you can confirm the pants are in production, I think a cancellation would be preferred (two of the pants were summer pants)

GentlemanJeff

Reaction score
@Epaulet - I've had a few double breasted pieces from you back when you were using Southwick and they always turned out phenomenal. I tended to gravitate towards rich corduroys, ultra-heavyweight tweeds, or nice bright linens (stuff that was a bit more interesting than a typical navy jacket) and would have loved to have been able to get them with a bit wider lapels and some other details like @espen describes.

(Sadly) I've lost so much weight over the past 18 months that I'm just swimming in excess fabric when I wear those jackets now.... though I did hold on to a few of them in case I fatten myself up anytime soon
Good problem to have! (generally)

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The sweatshirt bombers from a number of years back are some of my favorite pieces you ever did Eva

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like that's something I'd actually want in a fleece or terry to wear in lieu of a zip-up hoodie.

I'd also echo that the only reason I never picked up a teba was the fabric selection. I'd likely be in for a tweed w/ leather buttons or a linen/wool/silk one for the warmer weather. If we're still in brainstorming mode, maybe something w/ the body and cuffs of the Doyle/Sinclair, but w/ a camp collar and just slash pockets at the hips? I feel like that would be nice a clean and could work w/ both the nicer fabrics at RTC as well as sashiko or duck canvas in LA.

And while we're on the subject of new styles, what's up w/ the drawstring pants?

That Teba silhouette is nice!

I can't thank you guys enough for the Teba suggestion. Ming has one, and I'm going to ship it off to RTC to sample out. If we use the body of the Sinclair as a base, it should be a pretty easy modification. Really just changing the shape of the lapels on the top. And with that, we'd be able to offer a fully MTO Teba in their complete selections of fabric and finish. It will take a bit, but I imagine an October launch would be realistic.

Awesome, yeah we can definitely offer a DB jacket with customizable lapel width later in the Fall. And congrats again on that epic weight loss, it's still really so impressive!

@Epaulet have all of the Hertling pants from the most recent order been shipped? I am still missing mine

Edit - I missed some of the discussion on Hertling delays a few pages back, which explain a lot. Nevertheless unless you can confirm the pants are in production, I think a cancellation would be preferred (two of the pants were summer pants)

We just received and shipped about 25 pairs last week and we're expecting the balance to arrive this month. The outstanding pieces are all in work, so it won't be much longer! This is our last rodeo with Hertling for the time being, so all other custom pants will be routed through Hickey, and have a much more predictable lead time.

Good problem to have! (generally)

For real!

The sweatshirt bombers from a number of years back are some of my favorite pieces you ever did Eva

Oh thanks, those were a favorite of mine too. We've been meaning to swing by that factory soon and see what shapes they've got available. Doing some kind of cardigan or zip up would probably be a better option than the pullover hoodies that we offered last year.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
LAST CALL FOR SASHIKO SUITING

Hey guys! We're closing the Sashiko suiting project tonight. If you'd like to get in on it, then click through to spec out your order

Here's a few quick notes...

1) You can get 15% off these prices with code sashiko15

2) We have SUITS, SPORTCOATS, and TROUSERS available to order

3) This deadline is going to be hard and fast. Whatever gets ordered tonight will be dyed along with all of the pending Sashiko blankets that we have on hand (which, btw will ship next week)

4) If you are unsure of your size in any of these garments, but you want to order, then it's all good. With the lead time of dyeing and shipping the cloth, nothing is going to get cut by Hickey Freeman for at least two weeks. You need to commit to what color you want, but you can place the order and say HOLD FOR SIZING in checkout notes. Ming will follow up with you via email to figure out the best sizing and styling. We work remotely all of the time, and he's a maestro at it!

5) If you're going to get a jacket, then I'd suggest getting the whole suit. Even if you never wear the two together, these are brilliant as separates. And this is the only shot at a coherent dye lot. We'll offer this a few times a year but if you buy an indigo jacket now, there's no way to make a matching indigo pant later. The color always varies a tiny bit from batch to batch, and they won't be an exact match. The only exception is natural... that color is pretty much always consistent. But still better to get the full outfit now.

Natural.jpg
Indigo.jpg
Fluo Yellow Cad.jpg
Olive Cad.jpg
Shadow Cad.jpg

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should (UPS willing lol) receive my Sashiko throw tomorrow. Very curious to see what the fabric is all about. Just from a visual perspective, the idea of it as a suit in natural sounds supremely badass. Also hoping somebody here pulled a trigger on a shadow ink. Would love to see that made up.

L.I.T.

Reaction score
Should (UPS willing lol) receive my Sashiko throw tomorrow. Very curious to see what the fabric is all about. Just from a visual perspective, the idea of it as a suit in natural sounds supremely badass. Also hoping somebody here pulled a trigger on a shadow ink. Would love to see that made up.

We got shadow ink order in so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing that too. Waiting on RTC to come back from holiday as well for my natural Sashiko Rudy's to wear with my natural Sashiko Sinclair.

kevinftwman

Reaction score
Hi, just following up here on my overdye denim doyle in 34 since I have not been able to get a response via email. Believe there was supposed to be a new order placed since it was coming up to the 90 day window in which my card protection runs out and I had to dispute the charge, but have not seen any attempt by you guys to get my order filled. Is this being produced as indicated over a week ago or did I just tie up money for over 3 months for no reason again?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads