• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Really glad to hear that, I got the green plaid harris tweed you did a couple of years back, and it's one of my favourite pieces, I think I've yet to go out, and not be complimented on it. I'm really looking to get two more this year of different colours (hopefully brown!).

One thing I'm curious about, I ordered a 38, and it fits well, if a little big (closer to a 40), I know for your custom projects, you do 37s, have you ever thought of selling a cheap cotton version of a doyle for customers to test a fit? I'm in Canada, and it is just hell dealing with customs after returning an item. I wanted to get more into your custom projects, but being unsure whether a 36 or 37 would be the way to go is discouraging.

Oh man that's so great... that Harris Tweed piece was legendary!! Couple thoughts...

1) From Woolrich I've actually got the Donegal Tweed that we made already and a gorgeous Herringbone tweed in nearly the same color. We'll offer both for Fall as full suit separates (Doyle, Sinclair, Rivet, Wilhelm)

2) We'll do this offering via a big preorder project (with stock prices) and individual MTOs (with the custom upcharge). I'm definitely intending to also make a sample where the two tweeds are completely mashed up across individual panels.

3) We'll certainly have both preorder projects and MTO options for Wool Melton, dressier flannels, and any other stuff that I can find.

4) I'm not set up to properly do odd sizes for custom work now, but it's definitely something that I'm looking at.

5) I do actually have a set of cotton try-on jackets now for the Doyle, and I've sent them out quite a few times. Doing it to Canada is really challenging due to the time and the duties that get charged to the recipient. Sizing things remotely works really well if you have a jacket that fits, and since you already have a Doyle... I can absolutely help you to nail down the perfect fit. I tend to do this over FB Messenger or WhatsApp, as we can then just easily hash it out over video chat.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do actually have a set of cotton try-on jackets now for the Doyle, and I've sent them out quite a few times. Doing it to Canada is really challenging due to the time and the duties that get charged to the recipient. Sizing things remotely works really well if you have a jacket that fits, and since you already have a Doyle... I can absolutely help you to nail down the perfect fit. I tend to do this over FB Messenger or WhatsApp, as we can then just easily hash it out over video chat.

I'm sure you know the ins and outs of this stuff better than I do, but isn't there some marking you can put on the package (e.g. mark as a commercial sample, not a sale item) that could make this work? I guess only if you sent them out and received them back, which would add a lot of shipping costs. Might be an ok system for your preferred customers, but I guess those guys probably already know their Doyle fit.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man... I tell you, it's driving me a little bit crazy. I'm asking for updates and not getting any. But also about 6 customers received their long-awaited backorders last week. I'm honestly not sure what's being finished and what's not right now, but they're clearly working on things as we speak. 2020 is definitely the strangest freaking year that I've ever lived through.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the two madras jackets I ordered get made. I'm WFH for the foreseeable future and haven't worn a sportcoat in months, and probably will not wear one at all this summer, but man do I still want those!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Will have to think about those natty sashiko Wilhelm's to complete the suit. Going to feel like Michael McDonald about to jump in on my verse on Warren G’s Regulate.

Thanks for the mask order Eva! Think it was delivered already today. USPS has been either really quick or really off lately.

LOL the idea of Michael McDonald and "Regulate" makes me smile everytime....

I'm sure you know the ins and outs of this stuff better than I do, but isn't there some marking you can put on the package (e.g. mark as a commercial sample, not a sale item) that could make this work? I guess only if you sent them out and received them back, which would add a lot of shipping costs. Might be an ok system for your preferred customers, but I guess those guys probably already know their Doyle fit.

I'm honestly not too sure, but I think it might be best for me to start with a decent HD video guide on how to measure a jacket at home for comparative sizing in the Doyle or Sinclair. At this point we've done well over 600 individual custom pieces, and I'm probably only done in-person fittings for 25 or so of them. The vast majority is done remotely, and that works really well. Would be smart on my side to make some content and further improve that process.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I'm jumping the gun a little bit with this but so excited for it.

This Fall, I'm planning to do an exclusive makeup with Aero Leathers. The overall concept is a re-do of our shawl collar varsity jacket.. called the "Thorpe." I'm going to use one of their existing shapes with a few tweaks to the overall fit.. to better bring it in line with our in-house Doyle & Sinclair shapes.

Basic idea is:

1) You can choose from three colors of melton for the body (navy, black, loden)
2) You can choose from like 16 different leathers for the sleeves and rear collar, including Natural CXL, Navy CXL, and unfinished horsehide
3) You can pick your liner, including a range of 100% wool tartans from Locharron
4) The jacket is totally custom, so you spec your size, body length, and sleeve length. I'm going to try and put these live in August with delivery in October.

Here's the original jacket with a few mockups in this "Thorpe" combo. You can also get the jacket in all leather or all wool.

Thrope Mockup Loden.jpg
Thorpe Mockup Black.jpg
Thorpe Mockup.jpg

Thrope Murder Ink.jpg

Aero Shawl Main.jpg

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This Fall, I'm planning to do an exclusive makeup with Aero Leathers. The overall concept is a re-do of our shawl collar varsity jacket.. called the "Thorpe." I'm going to use one of their existing shapes with a few tweaks to the overall fit.. to better bring it in line with our in-house Doyle & Sinclair shapes.

Basic idea is:

2) You can choose from like 16 different leathers for the sleeves and rear collar, including Natural CXL, Navy CXL, and unfinished horsehide
3) You can pick your liner, including a range of 100% wool tartans from Locharron
4) The jacket is totally custom, so you spec your size, body length, and sleeve length. I'm going to try and put these live in August with delivery in October.

Here's the original jacket with a few mockups in this "Thorpe" combo. You can also get the jacket in all leather or all wool.

View attachment 1412221 View attachment 1412222 View attachment 1412223
View attachment 1412229
View attachment 1412224

The green wool here looks a little dark for Loden, is it?

What ballpark are we looking at for the pricepoint?

EDIT

Any pictures with the jacket open?

EDIT 2

Will there be suede options? I might be excited about this jacket

Last edited:

shrugged

Reaction score
Oh man that's so great... that Harris Tweed piece was legendary!! Couple thoughts...

1) From Woolrich I've actually got the Donegal Tweed that we made already and a gorgeous Herringbone tweed in nearly the same color. We'll offer both for Fall as full suit separates (Doyle, Sinclair, Rivet, Wilhelm)

2) We'll do this offering via a big preorder project (with stock prices) and individual MTOs (with the custom upcharge). I'm definitely intending to also make a sample where the two tweeds are completely mashed up across individual panels.

3) We'll certainly have both preorder projects and MTO options for Wool Melton, dressier flannels, and any other stuff that I can find.

4) I'm not set up to properly do odd sizes for custom work now, but it's definitely something that I'm looking at.

5) I do actually have a set of cotton try-on jackets now for the Doyle, and I've sent them out quite a few times. Doing it to Canada is really challenging due to the time and the duties that get charged to the recipient. Sizing things remotely works really well if you have a jacket that fits, and since you already have a Doyle... I can absolutely help you to nail down the perfect fit. I tend to do this over FB Messenger or WhatsApp, as we can then just easily hash it out over video chat.

So just PM you to schedule a time for that?

This is the kind of brown I'm after, something not solid. This is from Taylor Stitch which I think is your opposite number in terms of the jacket cut, but not quality ;)

73038327_2500540236732641_4317752394207099107_n.jpg

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
The green wool here looks a little dark for Loden, is it?

What ballpark are we looking at for the pricepoint?

EDIT

Any pictures with the jacket open?

EDIT 2

Will there be suede options? I might be excited about this jacket

1) These are just amateur PS mockups from me, I think that the Loden is fairly close, but I'll certainly get real samples to show off the materials. The only sample that I actually have is all brown leather.

2) I have some pics of the sample open, yeah. It's fully lined and you can select either a cotton or wool liner for it.

3) Yes! Hoping to have a beautiful rust goat suede as an option

4) I'm thinking that the price can be right under $1,000, but I need to confirm that

5) For any wild people out there, you can also do this contrasting style with two different leathers instead of leather and wool melton. Black & brown, brown & natural, brown leather & rust suede, etc.

Loving that shawl collar. Reminds me of my Himel storm rider jacket.

Totally yeah... glad that you dig it!

This is the kind of brown I'm after, something not solid. This is from Taylor Stitch which I think is your opposite number in terms of the jacket cut, but not quality ;)

View attachment 1412316

Oh very cool. I don't have anything like that chocolate color at the moment, but I'll probably do my wool sourcing in late July.

KPDarb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Basic idea is:

View attachment 1412221 View attachment 1412222 View attachment 1412223
View attachment 1412229
View attachment 1412224

This is suede is the jacket I've been waiting for... Unfortunately [for my fiancé] its launching right before my wedding :laugh:

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1412316
That's what I had in mind. Dual flappers. No big patch pockets....Can't tell if there are side vent pockets(which would be cool) but the jacket and collar look pretty rad. What can brown do for you.....Got the Golden Graham vibe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads