• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recall at least three or four people way back when being excited about a lighter, loose-weave linen for a more casual, warm-weather take on the Doyle. I was informed of the difficulty of sourcing that sort of linen and the exorbitant price. But now that you are moving more towards a crowd-sourcing model of deciding how many/what units to produce, perhaps that's doable? Particularly given how some of the smaller sample size Doyle sashikos have sold at near $300 prices? Just throwing it out there again, since I saw the linen buzz word...
The Indigo Sashiko Doyle's were $225.

metranger8694

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, I think that the weight will be great for warm weather. You need a pretty thick linen to give a casual unstructured jacket its shape.

That said, I'd likely stick to the Doyle & Sinclair shapes for this. I think that both will carry more value than a Field Jacket. The FJ is only a standalone outerwear piece, while Doyle/Sinclair can do that AND stand in for a sportcoat
Fair enough.

Since you said the Black Linen ones might be a stand alone, final sale offer could I get 2 chest pockets and make all pockets flap pockets?

I'm maxed out on Doyle's(7). I wouldn't mind something a little different if possible as I would like it as a stand alone outerwear piece.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next big thing in the Individualized pipeline is Madras... we're going to do a project with it and offer it through the usual MTO program. There's about 10 fabrics.. all of them will be exclusive to us.

The project will be based around the camp collar. You can order any of the fabrics in our standard fit with a camp collar, choose long or short sleeve, and choose your buttons. The camp collar isn't offered on single shirts, so we can't do any customizations to the body, yoke, etc.

Whatever fabric remains after that will be offered as full MTO shirting with all of the options and bells and whistles.

I recall some problems with the Gitman MTO offerings where the shirts with a camp collar made up absolutely massive through the body compared to a shirt of the same tag-size with any other collar. Is this not a worry with Individualized and their camp collar?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Any linen easy pants on the docket?

@Sartorium possibly, yeah! Would certainly make a lot of sense.

The Indigo Sashiko Doyle's were $225.

@metranger8694 we received a cost increase on the cloth, so probably going up a bit when we restock this year to $245.

Fair enough.

Since you said the Black Linen ones might be a stand alone, final sale offer could I get 2 chest pockets and make all pockets flap pockets?

I'm maxed out on Doyle's(7). I wouldn't mind something a little different if possible as I would like it as a stand alone outerwear piece.

@metranger8694 Maybe, I'll have to see how the shrinkage is after dyeing. If it's pretty minimal, then I can do a Fatigue jacket for you, which is essentially that.

I recall some problems with the Gitman MTO offerings where the shirts with a camp collar made up absolutely massive through the body compared to a shirt of the same tag-size with any other collar. Is this not a worry with Individualized and their camp collar?

Yup, two totally different setups.

Most shirt collars are independent of the shirt body. A collar-less shirt essentially looks like a band collar one, and your finished collar (point, spread, buttondown, etc) is attached on the top. So it's easy for a shirt factory to put any kind of collar onto any body.

A camp collar is integrated into the shirt body via french facing in the front, so it can't just be added to an existing pattern. With Gitman bros, they only have one body that's designed for the camp collar, and it's fairly boxy. So a camp made by Gitman has that fit, rather than our standard Epaulet fit.

With this Individualized project, they're going to use patternwork to match their camp collar to our existing body. We'll most likely spec an extra inch around the body and a square bottom, but it will have the same chest, yoke, armhole, etc that we all know and love. So it will have a great fit, but we'll lose the multitude of options that we typically have with Individualized. If you want the camp collar, you can only choose (1) size, (2) short or long sleeve and (3) buttons.

If our standard fit doesn't work or you don't dig the camp collar, then we should be able to offer most of those madras fabrics as typical MTO choices, and you can then choose any collar, sleeve, fit, cuff, etc. We want to get once of these Madras shirts into everyone's hands this season! The fabrics are freaking rad.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Re camp collar shirts: will these be conventional shirts simply with a camp collar or will they have the camp shirt body as well (squared off, non-shirt tail bottom)?

@bry2000 we'll do the bottom square for these. If anyone wants the regular shirt tail, that would be available as MTO (though not with a camp collar)

Blastwice

Reaction score
Well that all sounds good to me. Some of my favorite shirts are my ind. madras, so I'm looking forward to new fabrics! (Not sure about the camp collar if I can't get my typical fit though.)

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How long is the collar points on the Individualized Camp Collar?

@L.I.T. honestly I'm not totally sure.. I ordered four samples, one in each S-M-L-XL. So I'll have exact measurements and video guides on how to determine sizing for first-time customers. Should be here around end Feb, we go live early March with project, people get their shirts mid-April approx for all the Spring/Summer wears.

Well that all sounds good to me. Some of my favorite shirts are my ind. madras, so I'm looking forward to new fabrics! (Not sure about the camp collar if I can't get my typical fit though.)

@Blastwice thanks dude, you're going to love them! You can opt to get a popover with the MTO program, which is a pretty fresh option.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
BTW, I'm in NYC working a trade show and I ran into some Styleforum luminaries...

The Notorious @Gus
IMG_7028.JPG

The Original Gangsta of Socks and Trenches... @jah786
IMG_6980.JPG

The Sultan of Selvedge @kiya
IMG_6968.JPG

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Mist moleskin Walts on a chilly day...
6vXhgwB.jpg

@M635Guy so great... really nice match to those shoes!

Oh, and the guy on the right is Brandon from Naked & Famous Denim... I've known him for 10 years, and he's seriously one of the best salesman in our industry. Makes a ton of merchandise in Canada and is a great boss.

IMG_6958.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads