• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Harris_Doyle_Main_2048x.jpg

Just a quick heads-up, we're going to cut these jackets tomorrow afternoon, so if you want in on the Harris Tweed Doyle, you'll need to order tonight. We won't have any open stock when these are delivered (outside of returns or exchanges), so the preorder will be the only way to get one. Use code harris20 to save 20% on it.

Last edited:

philipneri

Reaction score
@philipneri looks excellent! The color mixture is fairly dark, so I think you can wear it.. stylistically... as late into the season as you want.

@Epaulet Yes, I plan to keep wearing my Madras Doyle Jacket this Fall all the way until my Harris Tweed Doyle arrives. So I am shooting for 6 more weeks of Madras before Tweed time.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A sampling of Epaulet goods from my closet.
Ho-leeeee cow. That is an impressive assortment.

Can you tell me about Fenway (the polo coat model) sizing? It looks like you can wear yours over a sport coat with perhaps even a little room to spare for comfort. Did you take the same size as your sport coat size?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brisk weather today. Camel hair SC gets a maiden voyage. Also Individualized shirt from last fall.

EAD3034E-DEA0-46D5-A0D3-CB0E2BD08AC3.jpeg

Blastwice

Reaction score

Can you tell me about Fenway (the polo coat model) sizing? It looks like you can wear yours over a sport coat with perhaps even a little room to spare for comfort. Did you take the same size as your sport coat size?

I went with a base sz of 40 for my (over)coat when I'm more of true 38 or 39 at Adele's recommendation. I haven't worn it yet as it's still not cold enough here to do so, but I do tend to size up a tiny bit for the outwear I get.

@Epaulet Can you educate us on cashmere? So, the swatches are boss, but a grand+ for a sports coat is DAUNTING to me. When I google 100% cashmere jackets, I see prices ranging from like $100 up and while I know that you're the real deal and a 100% cheap cashmere jacket is not the same as these cashmere jackets, I need you to explain to me A) Why Cashmere? B) Why so serious(ly expensive)? C) Advantages over traditional non-cashmere wool jackets? D) Other cashmere related information that I do not have any knowledge of-- like when I'm putting on a cashmere jacket vs. camelhair or wool.

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two cashmere sport coats, including 1 piacenza from EP Southwick. Also like 5 sweaters. What I can say is that it’s incredibly warm for how light it is. Imagine the warmth of a heavy tweed but the weight of a hopsack wool. And it’s sooooo soft. Not sure if this is a plus for you, but people will always want to touch it to feel how soft it is.

Not sure if it’s worth 1400$ to most, though. I’m pretty sure Kiton sources this same fabric for 4 or 5k.

I was lucky enough to get my Southwick SC during last summer’s “final cuts” MTO closeout. Price was 700-800, I believe.

Also, I believe cashmere from goats in the actual Kashmir region is considered the prime stuff, as opposed to hair from goats farmed elsewhere

Last edited:

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went with a base sz of 40 for my sports coat when I'm more of true 38 or 39 at Adele's recommendation. I haven't worn it yet as it's still not cold enough here to do so, but I do tend to size up a tiny bit for the outwear I get.

@Epaulet Can you educate us on cashmere? So, the swatches are boss, but a grand+ for a sports coat is DAUNTING to me. When I google 100% cashmere jackets, I see prices ranging from like $100 up and while I know that you're the real deal and a 100% cheap cashmere jacket is not the same as these cashmere jackets, I need you to explain to me A) Why Cashmere? B) Why so serious(ly expensive)? C) Advantages over traditional non-cashmere wool jackets? D) Other cashmere related information that I do not have any knowledge of-- like when I'm putting on a cashmere jacket vs. camelhair or wool.
I know you were asking Mike, but I would like to reciprocate your help with the Fenway.

A) Cashmere is incredibly soft. It is also warm but breathes quite well. There are few things in the world that feel as good to the touch as a pure, quality cashmere cloth.
B) Good cashmere is long-fiber cashmere. It has to be carefully sheared from goats (which drives up collection costs, coupled with the fact that it takes longer to grow than wool). Cheap cashmere is short-fiber cashmere, which is usually sheared from a goat too quickly. Good cashmere is like a human donation to Locks of Love while cheap cashmere is basically beard stubble. Long story short, the stuff is just in shorter supply and is more cost-intensive to weave.
C) The principle advantage is the softness of the fabric, as mentioned above. Since it is a different fiber, it does also look different than traditional wools. It creates additional visual interest and sort of stands out, but in a very subtle way. It is not by accident that the patron saint of "stealth wealth," Brunello Cucinelli, has largely made his name through cashmere garments.
D) Cashmere is less brittle than camel hair and more "spongey" than wools (especially hopsacks and worsteds). A cashmere sport coat will, over time, take on more of the characteristics of a favorite cozy sweater than a rigid sport coat. I have a pure cashmere sport coat from Oxxford and it has a noticeably softer drape than, say, a hopsack wool suit. Cashmere creates a wonderful sort of "lived in" look to it. If you want something that has that casual ease/elegance/sang froid that so many of us #menswear types bang on about, cashmere is it. If you want something sharp and crisp for standing in front of a judge, God, or overbearing spouse (a role which often embodies the two as well), you may want something else.

Hope this helps!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sooooooo tempted by the Golden Check cashmere. If I didn't already have a couple navy cashmere jackets, I'd have already ordered the hopsack cashmere as well. These are all some awesome choices.

As far as the value of cashmere - I agree that besides the hand/softness it's biggest redeeming qualities are the relative warmth:weight ratio and how a quality long-fiber cashmere can be very durable.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@suuteebird absolutely epic my man!! You really grabbed some great items from these past seasons. I dedicated today's IG story to all these rad fits!

@FLW I'd say to size down one from your Southwick sportcoat size.. that should still give you plenty of room for layering. I take a 40 Dartmouth/Nuovo and the 39 Fenway fits me really well. Plenty of room for a sportcoat or a thick sweater underneath. For the Quincy.. you'll want to go up by one (I wear a 41 in that).

I'll have our Overcoat fabrics up tomorrow, there's some amazing stuff in there!

I have two cashmere sport coats, including 1 piacenza from EP Southwick. Also like 5 sweaters. What I can say is that it’s incredibly warm for how light it is. Imagine the warmth of a heavy tweed but the weight of a hopsack wool. And it’s sooooo soft. Not sure if this is a plus for you, but people will always want to touch it to feel how soft it is.

Not sure if it’s worth 1400$ to most, though. I’m pretty sure Kiton sources this same fabric for 4 or 5k.

I was lucky enough to get my Southwick SC during last summer’s “final cuts” MTO closeout. Price was 700-800, I believe.

Also, I believe cashmere from goats in the actual Kashmir region is considered the prime stuff, as opposed to hair from goats farmed elsewhere

I know you were asking Mike, but I would like to reciprocate your help with the Fenway.

A) Cashmere is incredibly soft. It is also warm but breathes quite well. There are few things in the world that feel as good to the touch as a pure, quality cashmere cloth.
B) Good cashmere is long-fiber cashmere. It has to be carefully sheared from goats (which drives up collection costs, coupled with the fact that it takes longer to grow than wool). Cheap cashmere is short-fiber cashmere, which is usually sheared from a goat too quickly. Good cashmere is like a human donation to Locks of Love while cheap cashmere is basically beard stubble. Long story short, the stuff is just in shorter supply and is more cost-intensive to weave.
C) The principle advantage is the softness of the fabric, as mentioned above. Since it is a different fiber, it does also look different than traditional wools. It creates additional visual interest and sort of stands out, but in a very subtle way. It is not by accident that the patron saint of "stealth wealth," Brunello Cucinelli, has largely made his name through cashmere garments.
D) Cashmere is less brittle than camel hair and more "spongey" than wools (especially hopsacks and worsteds). A cashmere sport coat will, over time, take on more of the characteristics of a favorite cozy sweater than a rigid sport coat. I have a pure cashmere sport coat from Oxxford and it has a noticeably softer drape than, say, a hopsack wool suit. Cashmere creates a wonderful sort of "lived in" look to it. If you want something that has that casual ease/elegance/sang froid that so many of us #menswear types bang on about, cashmere is it. If you want something sharp and crisp for standing in front of a judge, God, or overbearing spouse (a role which often embodies the two as well), you may want something else.

Hope this helps!

@Blastwice could not have said it better than @FLW and @peppercorn78 ... those guys nailed all of the points.

Piacenza makes some of the finest suiting cashmere in the world, and it's regularly used by brands like Kiton, Brioni, Ralph Purple Label, Zegna, etc. It will most likely be the softest and most luxurious sportcoat that you've owned, and these proper cashmeres offer a lot of wear and life for the garment. That Danube Hopsack is a great price for what it is, and a really perfect weight. It's even possible to get a lot of wear out of it here in SoCal.

I am sooooooo tempted by the Golden Check cashmere. If I didn't already have a couple navy cashmere jackets, I'd have already ordered the hopsack cashmere as well. These are all some awesome choices.

As far as the value of cashmere - I agree that besides the hand/softness it's biggest redeeming qualities are the relative warmth:weight ratio and how a quality long-fiber cashmere can be very durable.

@Michigan Planner I've got 32 Fall/Winter fabrics going live for Sportcoats, Suits, and Trousers tomorrow... hopefully we can find something else that's rad for you. This is their best lineup yet.

Are we expecting the rest of the fall/winter Southwick MTO selections soon as well?

Yes sir, launching tomorrow! And we'll have discounts for about a week:

- 20% off Fall/Winter, Overcoats, and Cashmere
- 20% off Spring/Summer
- 15% off Barberis 4-season suiting

DRJames

Reaction score
Just got my Indigo Sashiko Doyle in, have been eyeballing it since last season. This probably goes without saying given all the praise it has already received, but I’m blown away. Easily one of the coolest pieces I own. Now I can’t wait to get my Sashiko Gunmetal and kinda wish I had gotten the Raisin too. Well done guys.

flashjack

Reaction score
Hey Mike any updates on when the white sport trainers will be restocked?

Subutai

Reaction score
Hey Mike @Epaulet can you also hook us up on an update with the natty horsehide trainers? Or did I miss it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics