• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

theh00d

Reaction score
821807A4-70D3-41E6-923F-55C389373D01.jpeg
Moleskin field jacket and legendary cord tweed

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First Southwick suit inbound! Excited to say the least. But won't have time to get it to the tailor prior to a party we are hosting next weekend, any way to temporarily hem the trousers to get through a day before I can get them done? Would like to wear it, guess I can break it up and wear the jacket with some other trousers but would like to wear the full suit for the occasion...

Will post pics when it shows up!

dcjohnson

Reaction score
Will there be stock items in the old Hertling shapes?
I've been toying with the idea of trying the Taylor cut but would like to try it on/order a pair before jumping into a MTO. Thatvrise sounds interesting but not sure it's for me

avsmusic1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Epaulet
I’m going to go XL - I’m totally cool w/ this being a more “overshirt” or shirt jacket look and worst case, I’ll warm wash once to shrink it up.

At this price it’s worth buying just to have a badass, tough as nail, knock around shirt

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
First Southwick suit inbound! Excited to say the least. But won't have time to get it to the tailor prior to a party we are hosting next weekend, any way to temporarily hem the trousers to get through a day before I can get them done? Would like to wear it, guess I can break it up and wear the jacket with some other trousers but would like to wear the full suit for the occasion...

Will post pics when it shows up!

@duff406 fantastic! And yes, most drug stores sell a "hem tape" in the sewing section.. or you can get it overnighted by Amazon.

Will there be stock items in the old Hertling shapes?
I've been toying with the idea of trying the Taylor cut but would like to try it on/order a pair before jumping into a MTO. Thatvrise sounds interesting but not sure it's for me

@dcjohnson not anytime soon, but eventually I'd like to have some basic inventory in all of the shapes with our new Southwick production. We're a while off on that, though.

Thanks @Epaulet
I’m going to go XL - I’m totally cool w/ this being a more “overshirt” or shirt jacket look and worst case, I’ll warm wash once to shrink it up.

At this price it’s worth buying just to have a badass, tough as nail, knock around shirt

@avsmusic1 rad! Yeah you can't go wrong with that, it works great as an overshirt too.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi Mike when you guys were in NYC who did you recommend for alteration, San Wazin in midtown east is great but he quotes ~100 for converting trouser to side tabs, anyone else you guys can recommend?

dcjohnson

Reaction score
Thanks for the information on the trousers Mike. I might have to MTO a pair of Taylor's through southwick.
Is this extra rise equivalent to moving the waist up from one shirt button to the next? Anyone who is around 5'8" or 5'9" wearing this casually, without jacket?

shabbytraddy

Reaction score
@Epaulet

Handsome Mike: quick sizing question about the chainstitch. I take a 44R in your Southwick jackets, and your old EPLA oxford XXL is pretty roomy. Go with XL on the chainstitch? Same measurements as 44R Dartmouth, so I figure yes but wanted to check...

Thanks, hombre.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Second Southwick single cuts suit is here. This was the Loro Piana indigo slub fabric that I believe was only enough for one suit? Turned out amazing especially with the smoke mother of pearl buttons...

Sorry for bad photos, was just trying to capture the fabric. Single cuts di pray deep chocolate check flannel is behind it.

Both suits turned out amazing — thanks EP!

DEE6C066-C62E-468D-A14A-2AC951FC0796.jpeg

AFCE2B31-C28A-41E7-B5CD-CE0E22E4B2F8.jpeg

AA114B60-2A46-45EA-A6AF-FE9B30CEE34C.jpeg

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ring Ring shirt looks great.

I believe some of its description got infected with some of the Chambray's.

Doktor Corn

Reaction score
Thanks for the information on the trousers Mike. I might have to MTO a pair of Taylor's through southwick.
Is this extra rise equivalent to moving the waist up from one shirt button to the next? Anyone who is around 5'8" or 5'9" wearing this casually, without jacket?

I'm 5'8" and while I always wear a jacket, I think it still looks good aesthetically without one, though some people will consider it affected as such. It also looks better with a fuller shirt sans jacket, but honestly I'm not fond of going around without a sport coat, bomber, field jacket etc in the first place so I only have one or two blousy shirts I've tried like this.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@dcjohnson at your height, the Taylor rise is going to be at about your navel. And I think that they work great if your casual look is along these lines:

tumblr_n7fzu0kvON1qa2j8co1_540.jpg

For true casual stuff... like with a t-shirt and easy sneakers, the high shape shape can be a little tough IMO. But it works brilliantly with looks like this, and it's a very comfortable shape to wear.

@Epaulet

Handsome Mike: quick sizing question about the chainstitch. I take a 44R in your Southwick jackets, and your old EPLA oxford XXL is pretty roomy. Go with XL on the chainstitch? Same measurements as 44R Dartmouth, so I figure yes but wanted to check...

Thanks, hombre.

@shabbytraddy I'd say to do an XXL in the Chainstitch, that would be fairly consistent with the 44 Dartmouth. I take a 40-41 Dartmouth and I'm wearing a Large perfectly. My production in LA is really precise these days, so those old EPLA measurements are a little out of the park.

Second Southwick single cuts suit is here. This was the Loro Piana indigo slub fabric that I believe was only enough for one suit? Turned out amazing especially with the smoke mother of pearl buttons...

@JSO1 amazing.. they came out so good! Thanks for posting.

Ring Ring shirt looks great.

I believe some of its description got infected with some of the Chambray's.

@althanis ooops, lemme fix that later. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm 5'8" and while I always wear a jacket, I think it still looks good aesthetically without one, though some people will consider it affected as such. It also looks better with a fuller shirt sans jacket, but honestly I'm not fond of going around without a sport coat, bomber, field jacket etc in the first place so I only have one or two blousy shirts I've tried like this.

@Doktor Corn definitely agreed. High rise trousers can work on their own, but a jacket complements them really nicely. Doesn't have to be a sportcoat though.. I've seen guys pair things like the Doyle and shirtjackets with them brilliantly.

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Taylors, yeah that's a great look Mike posted. I'm 5'9" and have a lot of Taylor/Gable pairs. If I don't wear it with a jacket of any kind at work I am usually wearing it with a sweater, meaning I would generally not show the high rise in an office environment. I would definitely not feel comfortable (style-wise) with that. Casually like that picture looks awesome though. In the bay area (or Redondo, amirite @Epaulet?) it will be the dressiest casual look around, but whatever if you're comfortable with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads