1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. lifeinabox

lifeinabox Distinguished Member

No worries! Mike gave me the heads it was coming after I missed out on Static Indigo Check so I had plenty of time to pull the trigger. Enjoy!

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Distinguished Member

I was debating between the navy/olive windowpane or the grey/salmon windowpane but it looks like @RuleOfRescue and @M635Guy made my mind up for me - I've already got another navy linen/wool/silk suit so this is probably the way to go for me anyway.

@RuleOfRescue - I went all open patch pockets on mine. I don't really like mixing patch with welt, but I think that's just a personal preference. If I had gotten the navy, I think I would have gone with the flap inset pockets along with the ticket pocket.

That Aegean blue herringbone is still calling my name too...

3. FLW

FLW Senior Member

Patch vs. welt is totally personal preference. Usually it hinges on continuity and casualness (triple patch) or something more subdued and subtle (welt breast). I always go welt breast because I just hate the way that patch pockets look up top, but lots of stylish guys go triple patch. I feel that triple patch is more unique/less seen, if that matters to you.

4. M635Guy

M635Guy Distinguished Member

And now we wait. I'm pretty excited for these...
    I wound up with:
    Navy olive windowpane suit/tan horn/welt/inset flap/blue stripe lining/non-functional buttons w/ Walt pants
    and
    Toffee bar houndstooth sportcoat/tan horn/welt/inset flap/gray stripe lining/non-functional buttons

5. suuteebird

suuteebird Senior Member

I invested in the Navy/Olive Windowpane suit + Dark Olive & Russet Hunting Check sportcoat + Magee Ice Speckle Donegal Linen sportcoat + Baby Camel Hair sportcoat. Oh, and also the Navy Cashmere Fenway overcoat. Very happy.

6. stevenkmason

stevenkmason Senior Member

WOW

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

like a boss, bro! congrats.

8. Michigan Planner

That's quite the haul!

I've got the Magee Ice Speckle Donegal coming too and I'm really! looking forward to that one.

9. lifeinabox

Damn, that's a whole wardrobe. Post a pic of the Magee Ice Speckle when you get. Really curious to see that made up. Congrats!

10. Irish

Irish Senior Member

So many good options from this round. I went with the Di Pray "Mossy Rainbow" after an hour of back and forth between the E. Thomas check and that dark olive + russet. Hesitated to get too invested because I haven't tried the Dartmouth before, but the fit pics here have all been spot on. I'm optimistic.

11. avsmusic1

avsmusic1 Distinguished Member

I'm a vote against patch pocket on the chest - for a sportcoat, maybe, but to my eye it looks too casual for a suit

12. Hiamosey

Hiamosey Senior Member

Hertling MTO Sping trousers will be next Tuesday, right?

Not today?

13. Michigan Planner

For me, if I am getting a suit, a lot of the decision regarding pockets comes down to the type of fabric and the pattern. I probably wouldn't put patch anything on something worsted or tropical wool or like some of the flannels or the navy & ivory windowpane in the current offerings. For me, things like tweeds or really heavy flannels are just calling for patch pockets all around!

Stuff like the wool-silk-linen blends or hopsack can go either way in my book.

Thankfully I also don't work in a very conservative industry or office and I think that plays into what I can get way with. If I worked in commercial banking or tax law or something like that, I'd probably have to tone things down a bit.

14. lifeinabox

The Sashiko has been my go-to and I live in the South Bay. It's perfect for the recent weather - low 50s/high 40s in the morning and 60s during the day. I can definitely see myself wearing it through the spring but I live near the water. It's a tad warm for summer if you live inland.

15. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Oh I think that the Sashiko Doyle is a great year-round item for SoCal.. including cooler Summer nights. It's not a super-warm fabric, and I'd have no problem wearing it on nearly any evening and most days. Duck canvas doyles are pretty much equally versatile for here too, although the Sashiko has more insulation.

When you factor in humidity, then duck canvas is probably a better option as it will breathe more than Sashiko. IN terms of fading, I don't think anyone has owned the Doyle long enough to really fade it, but it should look along these lines with a lot of wear....

[​IMG]