1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. FLW

FLW Senior Member

If, for the time being, Hertling relies more on wholesale, wouldn't they be wary of undercutting their own buyers? If the new owners don't want to undertake all of the marketing and other responsibilities that go with selling entirely direct-to-consumer maybe they want to protect wholesale accounts in such a way?

I know that Bills Khakis undercut themselves a bit this way by neglecting the wholesale community and offering better prices and deals directly. This ultimately contributed to their demise as they lost wholesale clients and the direct-to-consumer business never made up the market share that vanished.

2. NycLondon

NycLondon Senior Member

what has the world come to?!!!!!!!!!!!

3. CanadaCal

CanadaCal Distinguished Member

A lot of manufacturers sell on their own websites for higher prices.

It doesn’t upset your existing clients (dealer channel) and it also allows for new styles or ideas to be released quickly to the public, if they are so inclined to seek new designs.

So want to pull the trigger on a Cincy Quincy.... but I just can’t.

4. bry2000

bry2000 Distinguished Member

Which manufacturers sell for higher prices on their own website? And not higher because of fluctuations in exchange rates or due to duties, customs, etc. Seems counterintuitive.

Feel free to pm me if you don't want to derail this thread. I'm just curious.

5. budapest12

budapest12 Distinguished Member

You are definitely not alone on this one... nailed my exact thoughts.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018 at 4:46 PM

6. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for posting the story and solid writing as always from PTO.

One correction... Julie’s full name was actually “Julius,” and not “Julian.” I sent a note to Derek on it.

Although we haven’t spoken about it, I can imagine why their direct prices are higher. Hertling has to walk the line of direct retailing without undercutting or competing with their dealers. @FLW nailed it with Bills Khakis. They were famous for underpricing their partner stores and encouraging customers to “showroom” them. Guys come in, try stuff on for size, and then order online at a lower price. Carmina did this precise thing to both us and their other US dealers years ago. It’s not sustainable if you want to retain your wholesale biz. So Hertling is a bit more expensive and working with an exclusive shape which is quite slim. If you wanted to buy one of our fits or one of the fuller shapes from Ben Silver, they would direct you to one of us. Which is smart, and the right way to do it IMO.

7. clee1982

clee1982 Distinguished Member

+1, probably best to just offer different product from hertling direct, you can undercut your wholesale only if you prepare to fully launch your own distribution (which looks like what Carmina is doing)