Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. loxo

loxo Senior member

I'm considering the Quincey overcoat and debating between the heavyweight navy wool/cashmere or the cobalt check Harris tweed. A navy mac overcoat is a bit of a classic and the I'm assuming the cashmere would make it very soft. I have a couple pairs of Italian-milled wool/cashmere trousers and the hand on them is very plush.
    However, I really like the character of the pattern on the tweed. Coats in a fabric like that are rare. My concern is how punchy the pattern is and how it will play out in a full overcoat. Will it be so loud that it becomes a "statement" piece or could it be worn casually?

Tangentially, I have a Southwick sport coat made up in the Navy/Rust houndstooth tweed and it is so awesome. If I wore that with the tweed overcoat I think I would probably either lose my Styleforum cred or just ascend immediately to Tweed Valhalla.

2. applky

applky Senior member

Pretty sure you would gain SF cred!

I almost got that fabric for my Quincy, but went with a different Tweed. It was a tough choice though, as my ultimate style goal is basically to look like Max von Sydow in Three Days of the Condor.

[​IMG]

For sale:
    Southwick x Epaulet BNWT Harris Tweed SC, 38
    Three terrific Vanda Fine Clothing neckties

3. LaymanX

LaymanX Senior member

Uh, do you have any more of those Thedi shawl horsehide jackets coming? :)

4. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

@LaymanX ahh sorry, we're not working with Thedi any longer. Great guys, but we're only doing Aero at the moment, and only made to order with them.

THAT SAID.. I've got two new Aero shapes coming next week and we'll do a Fall promo for MTO jackets to be delivered by the holidays. One of the shapes is a stripped down minimal double rider that you can style in all sorts of ways. Two new leathers to offer as well!

@Don L

Chalk Stripe is the least easy of the bunch, but I think that it's entirely wearable with a Grey or Camel jacket. It certainly works with knitwear.

You're not going to see chalk stripe trouser separates rocked by American CM guys who live within the rules and post things like "Epic Haul at the Jos. A Bank 10-Suits-For-The-Price-Of-1 deal!!"

But I think that all of us could absolutely pull it off. And you've got the wardrobe to have a lot of complimentary items. You certainly see stuff like this worn as separates in Italy and Spain. It's just a very cool pattern for a pant. Rad that it's from the best mill in the USA as well.

Here's some shots of those four swatches matched up to different jackets. Apologies for the wacko perspective angle:

FullSizeRender 46.jpg FullSizeRender 49.jpg FullSizeRender 48.jpg FullSizeRender 51.jpg

@concealed yup, in fact Loro Piana owned the factory before the current owner (Jacob Long) purchased it from them:

http://articles.courant.com/2014-06...19_1_textile-industry-loro-piana-mill-complex

@Alcibiades thanks so much! We'll follow up with you for any missing info

@applky yes sir, they should finish in Portgual around the end of this week. Figure we'll have them early Oct. Sorry, the date keeps getting pushed out on those, but I'm on everyone's ass about it.

@loxo

Hmmmmmm, good question.

So, the Navy is hands-down the more versatile and sensible option. It goes with everything. Great fabric, cool jacket, fair price. Made to your specs. That's a very smart buy if you don't have anything like that already.

The Harris Tweed.. particularly that one, is insanely rock and roll in an overcoat. The swatch in question is bottom right corner in the image below.

It's absolutely going to be a statement piece and a seriously freaking awesome one at that. My god. It's going to be completely rad. I think that wearing it casually (jeans, chinos) is absolutely no problem. It's a really cool match for denim too. Likewise it will work as an eye-catching piece over a suit. The only consideration is that you may be fighting with your sportcoats if you have a lot of strong pattern jackets, but then again, you're probably wearing that overcoat closed if you have it over a jacket. And you take it off when you're indoors.

But man.. imagine that Harris Cobalt Quincy over a cream donegal funnel neck sweater, grey flannel trousers, and Color #8 boots. Unstoppable!!

[​IMG]

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

^^ post absolutely illustrates why it's fun to shop Epaulet. The proprietors are genuinely passionate about what they do. I love it. Awesome.

6. esoxm

esoxm Senior member

Hey Mike - what's the typical turn around on the aero MTOs?

7. FLW

FLW Senior member

At least 30% of my Epaulet purchases have been made JUST because of how Mike and Co have hyped something up

8. Nik Telford

Nik Telford Senior member

Honestly its probably like 50% for me. Half the time I just buy something because its cool haha. Sometimes I'm after something specific but Mike and Co always point me in the right direction.

9. FLW

FLW Senior member

"Wow, that IS a 'bonkers' shade of purple. It WOULD look great with a navy sport coat..."

Mike knows what he's doing...

10. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

Awhile back I had mentioned that I would try to bleach my back up Tobacco Doyle that shrunk in the dryer, since I bought a new one.

So, at first I washed it with 1.5 cups of bleach but that had no effect. Then I soaked it water in the washing machine for hours with 3+ cups of bleach.

Here are the results:
    IMG_20170917_023801372.jpg
    The color of the fabric definitely lightened to a point in the middle of the Tobacco and the Caramel Doyle. I like it. The fabric stiffened a bit so I may iron it to see if it loosens it up....And check out what the bleach did to the buttons. They turned blonde!

Here is my new Tobacco for color comparison:
    doyle+.jpg

11. M635Guy

M635Guy Senior member

12. Epaulet

@esoxm typically about 6-8 weeks.

They hit a really ugly snag this past season. Early in the Summer, the Aero factory was robbed, and nearly 120 jackets were stolen. Pretty much all of them were customer MTO's.. including quite a few units intended for us. They've been working overtime to replace everything and get orders out, so we had a few customers waiting about four months on this last round. But things are back on track, and we'll get a firm delivery confirmation from them when we present the new shapes.

@peppercorn78 @FLW @Nik Telford aww thank you so much guys:

[​IMG]

Thank you for indulging my crazy adjectives and my somewhat reckless use of dated pop culture references. You guys are the greatest!

@metranger8694 dude, this came out so great!!

13. Epaulet

Quincy Fit 1alt.jpg
    Deadline to save 20% on the Quincy Overcoat

Hey guys,

Big thanks to everyone who ordered so far! The 20% off deal on Quincy orders is going to end tonight at midnight PST. Just use the code quincy20 to claim it. And you can check out the jacket and read more here.

I've been fielding a lot of questions on facebook about this, so I figured that I'd post a quick list of discussion notes about it:

1) This is not a limited item, it's going to remain on the site and you can order it at any time in most of the fabrics. But the 20% off deal will expire tonight. It's only due to reduced pricing from Southwick, as they need to fill their custom line at the beginning of the season. It's a fair deal at full price, but a bonkers deal with the discount code.

2) I have to give them the fabric reservation first thing in the morning, but the actual orders can come next week. If you're not sure of sizing, then you can order with the discount and write "HOLD TO CONFIRM SIZING" in special notes. We'll follow up with you next week and get everything ironed out.

3) The shape is fairly cropped, but you can add up to 4" to the body if you want. The buttons and pocket position will scale with that, but it's not that significant. The buttons go up to the top and are covered by a fly front, so that doesn't really change. And the pockets moving down will still totally work fine even if you're a standard height.

4) The basic design is for approximately a Drop 6 to Drop 7, which is pretty typical for most of our clothes. I'm wearing a size 40 in the pic and a 34 pant. Fits great, would work just fine with a 33 pant as well. If you have a drop greater or smaller than that, we can make alterations to the waist to make it more or less fitted.

5) Piacenza Cashmere has been our best selling cloth and for good reason. It's insanely nice and available at an absolutely bonkers price with this promo. We're talking like $1160 for a canvassed MTO coat that usually goes for closer to $2000 as OTR. It's strong and heavy, but just as soft and luxe as you'd imagine.

6) Selling quite a bit of patterned Harris Tweed too. And why not? This is a great chance to get a completely old school and punk rock outerwear piece.

14. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

Mike - regarding the double riders - any chance they'll come with two-way main zippers pretty please?

15. No8PTBs

No8PTBs Member

Thing I shouldn't have bought because I have 2 similar pieces already: Quincy overcoat
    Thing I bought tonight: Quincy overcoat

On a serious note, I've completely shredded the liner on an original 1940 (ish) Navy peacoat that I was fortunate enough to find at Bobby from Boston for a song. Navy Melton has been bulletproof, not to mention versatile, for me in Boston winters so I know the fabric will serve me well. And the shape is much more refined than the peacoat, which serves my wardrobe a little better. Time to send the peacoat out for service I suppose...