Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. el es dee

el es dee Senior member

Why don't you guys throw them on grailed?

2. Michigan Planner

Michigan Planner Senior member

Fees.

That's why I don't complain tooooo much about the B&S system.

3. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I often do, but would prefer to sell to folks within the SF community.

4. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

Lot of EP stuff. Sportcoat, shirt, trousers.

FullSizeRender (57).jpg

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, it's not actually free, in that we pay a fair penny just to have the forum hosted and our servers managed, not to mention all the auxiliary stuff that no-one sees. It's very large, both in database size and number of queries.

The categories we can do as soon as my systems admin gets back from vacation. If you have specific requests, I'm happy to entertain them. Of course, please remember that we have to strike a balance between too general and too specific. Please PM me suggestions, as I don't want to derail this thread, and I find that public discussions are generally useless and just end up in a lot of static rather than being focused and actionable.

The size filter, we are supposed to be getting, but motivating freelance developers (and Styleforum is not big enough to have full time devs on staff) is hard.

Search - frankly, the search is as powerful and as good as we are going to get. It's Elastisearch, which is the most powerful available engine. Unfortunately, writing good search algorithms is incredibly difficult and well beyond our capabilities.

So, some good news, and some bad news.

Cheers,

Fok.

6. LA Guy

I really wish that we would stop talking about the old SF as if this were a viable option. That platform has been sunsetted, and with it, the tech has been, AFAIK, permanently shelved. It was also very, very, messy, behind the scenes, so in addition to the million plus that would have been asked for for the asset, it would have cost several developer salaries just to maintain it. Marketplace software is very complicated. This was the best that is/was available on the market. We have had it customized to a large degree, and we'll spend more money doing so, but we don't have the resources needed to get this done in a few days, or even a few weeks. Put it this way, a fairly large group attempted to create a marketplace software for Xenforo, and simply gave up because it was not only very hard to do, but the multitude of voices simply drowned out any consensus of features, and the group leaders simply had enough.

So, if you guys want filters, there will be MORE fields to fill in. It's inevitable. The seller will have to add sizes, brand, etc... I agree that the organization on the page can be better, but even that is harder than it might appear, and if w have the developers working on filters, it's a very bad idea to also give them a design problem to work on at the same time.

What is the issue with the "bumping" and updating? We put a button at the top of each classified to make bumping particularly easy...

7. LA Guy

They won't decrease, either... They have a growing team - I think that they are up to over a dozen staff, and all of that costs investment money. They will be more and more under the gun to show growth, and in this climate, profits.