Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

:nodding:

2. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

I'm bummed....I think I made a big mistake with my size 38 Walnut Doyle.

I washed it a couple of times to try to fade it(that worked) but I followed the tags instructions to tumble dry low and even though I took it out of the dryer when still a hair damp, I feel that the jacket shrunk a lot so I measured. The sleeves now measure at 24.25"(down from 25") and the length is now 27"(down from 28").

It is also tighter by the armholes/biceps and body than my original olive doyle.

Mike, I seem to have lost .75"-1" in all dimensions. I measured twice cause I thought I might be crazy but it definitely shrunk. It is uncomfortable to wear now. I normally air dry everything but I thought this time drying might help with the fading.

3. Funcheese

Funcheese Senior member

Did you try to press it out with an iron? Really go at it with the pressure, use minimal steam, and it should return to close to original proportions. Let us know.

4. metranger8694

metranger8694 Senior member

Thanks @Funcheese.

I'll try that. Unless it gets its length back and gets bigger at the armholes and chest too, I have a feeling I'll have to order another one. But I'll give it a go.

5. OhHello

OhHello Senior member

Oh shit, that fabric looks fantastic. Would we able to pre-order a Doyle in a long size?

6. Funcheese

Funcheese Senior member

Thumbs-up emoji.

7. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Well the Doyle size adjustments are just perfect for me. I couldn't ask for a better fit, love it.

Fresh out the box pics

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

8. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

@metranger8694 Funcheese is right... the garment will most likely go back to (about) it's original size.. but I'd take it one step further and have it pressed by a dry cleaner. Costs a few bucks, but that will get the max amount of contraction out.

That said, I advise to hang dry any piece of clothing that you care about. It's the absolute best way to get the most wear out of a machine-washable garment. You put less stress on the fabric, the stitching, and the buttons. When I run the dryer, it's just got towels, underwear, socks and gym clothes in it.

In terms of fading, you also want to keep it out of the dryer. Machine drying tends to fade out the color in a uniform way... wearing it a lot and hang drying tends to fade it in the places where you move more, giving your more contrast. Since you're in FL, I think you'll get a great fade by washing it infrequently and letting it dry in blazing sunshine when you do clean it.

@OhHello sorry, I can't.. we need to keep the production realistic here. We could do that in Portugal with the Teba, but that was $400 for a tailored garment in cotton. This is gonna be $285 for the Doyle in wool. To keep that price and get everything correct and on time, I have to limit this to even whole sizes and regular length only. So we'll offer 34, 36, 38, etc.. up to 46. The factory simply can't cut single units per size, so giving them a breakdown with a 35L and a 43S and whatnot just won't work.

That said, since it's not a sportcoat, the length may be less of an issue. I think that the body would easily work for someone who takes a standard Long. There's no right or wrong length that it needs to be. If the sleeves are a touch short, you can always unbutton them and roll the cuff back a little bit.. which looks cool and then makes the shorter length intentional.