Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Hey, Mike. One suggest would be to make the Ultimate Office Jean. I think you know what I mean. Denim for a casual office or work event that you can wear with derbies/boots/sneaks a button-up/polo/sweater, and even a sport coat. It's the jean you wear when you have to be casual but still look professional (at least, that's a thing in California, for those of you who've never experienced it.) Just the right shade of indigo (or white for summer). Slim but not so skinny or tapered that they won't work with a sport coat. Ralph, Levis, and other make this, I know. But I have no interest in shopping those brands to find one I like. Just make the perfect version of that. Just about every guy on here needs that.

2. Thefenceposts

Thefenceposts Well-Known Member

@Epaulet still love the idea of a 5 pocket pant in some of the more heavy-duty rivet fabrics. Duck, cord, etc. Feel like it fits the level of formality where you all have found your sweet spot.

On a separate note - I came to the NY trunk show and got fitted for a dinner jacket, but never got my measurements. Could you send them via DM?

3. Poomba

Poomba Senior member

Does anyone know when the suede footwear pre-orders are arriving?

4. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Good suggestion @Mr. Six and I totally agree with that. In some ways, that's what the Wilshire was. I really think that the cut was ideal.. and I'm biased here.. but I thought it was the best fitting jean on the market.

We worked with good denim and priced it at $150, but it was just hard to hit a critical mass of appeal. Most of our customers liked the artisanal nature of Japanese jeans, or the vastly larger fabric offering by Gustin, or just getting something inexpensive at Uniqlo. I found it hard to get many new customers into our jeans, and you can't really effectively make jeans in small quantities.

In terms of denim and make, our jeans were on par with products like 3Sixteen or Rogue Territory, but cheaper due to the direct sales model. That's just not enough in the denim world. Branding it a real thing there, and many guys would rather get a jean from a jeans brand. It's just the nature of the biz.

Price is hard to compete on because I could never be as cheap as Levis or Uniqlo, no matter what we do.

Which is leading me to believe that we can create a five pocket concept and be competitive on a "non-jean" jean. Whether its dyeing denim or using things like duck canvas with interesting wash effects. And to your point.. making a 5-pocket pant that plays well with biz-caz attire. It's especially relevant if you consider a West Coast or a tech biz-caz look can sub the Doyle for a Sportcoat and Tennis Trainers for shoes. The new Wilshire would have to play well with our other pieces and offer some kind of distinct selling proposal that sets it apart from other 5-pocket products.

@Thefenceposts love this idea! And we'll certainly do a run of Corduroy Chinos in both Rivet and Sandow for the Fall, I have an awesome new source for it that's really well priced.

My bad on the dinner jacket.. I actually drafted that email and neglected to send it. Coming your way!

Should be finishing up in Portugal within the next four weeks @Poomba

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I totally agree with this. I personally have a big need for something like this, and I'd rather support EP and trust their consistent fits. Maybe not even raw denim, as it wouldn't be intended for "sick fadez OMG."

I've got plenty of raw denim, chinos, and trousers, but the "dress jean" is really the thing I need the most for my particular line of work.

Edit: just saw Mike's post above and totally understand your position.

6. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

The thing I like most about the Wilshires is the fit. I haven't found another pair of jeans with a similar fit to them, so would love to see them come back.

7. Epaulet

Very cool and thanks for the feedback guys @SeaJen @peppercorn78

I'm definitely going to start work on this. I think that the ideas of a new Wilshire concept and a dress jean don't have to be mutually exclusive.

Imagine something along these lines (navy overdyed jean)

[​IMG]

This is done by Ironheart.. its a raw selvedge that's overdyed. It's expensive.

We'd work with regular Japanese denim and use an overdye that fades with modest wear. I'll test it a lot. The end result will be less "faded denim" as it would a faded cotton trouser. Instead of whiskers and the like, you'll get fading around the stitching and stress areas. The result will be a faded jean with cool character, but not the typical look. Something like this would be after a few wears and washes...

[​IMG]

The dye process is expensive, but the fabric used is a lot cheaper, so a retail of about $135 is probably realistic. We can then do colors like Tobacco, Olive, and Gunmetal easily. We're still doing a 5-pocket jean, but it looks different than other stuff out there. And I think it could play very well with sportcoats and the like. I've got a dye test running through right now, I'll have something to show you guys in the next few days

8. Epaulet

Walt Porto in Bright French Blue

Just got in these rad stock pants!

Walt Porto cut in a gorgeous bright blue Vitale Barberis Wool Pique. We did 36 units in this run, and it's perfect for the season. Looks crazy boss with sand and snuff suede shoes. You can use code French15 to take 15% off by Thursday. They'll go out in the newsletter tomorrow morning. Walt Porto Bright Blue Fit.jpg Walt Porto Bright Blue Rear.jpg Walt Porto Bright Blue Detail.jpg Walt Porto Bright Blue Main.jpg

9. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

10. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Mike, the measurements table doesn't show the waist for these - is that intended?

11. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

I'd be pretty into some garment dyed jeans in a fit that will work for Rudy/Sandow gents. I tried another retailers garment dyed jeans and looked like I was wearing jeggings. IMO, gray would be the killer color.

12. Don L

Don L Senior member

Love to see a Bedford Cord in a 5 pocket or Rivet Mike

Last edited: May 22, 2017 at 7:35 PM
  13. FLW

FLW Senior member

I will add to the general chorus re: overdye trousers. I am raw denim-ed out. Gustin sends me emails with 1 or two options nearly every day. Everyone from Uniqlo to American Eagle to J Crew sells it at the mall. Self Edge will still sell me a pair costing more than most tailored trousers. Oh, and I see a half dozen Gustin/Warby Parker simulacra that promise me the greatest American-made jeans EVER for as little as $70.

I agree that the market is just not there. This overdye process sounds really great, however. It is something different and yet... the same. I would also put out for future consideration an indigo overdyed seersucker. Eidos has a couple pieces this season in a similar fabric and it looks amazing. Their styling is more directional, though, so a simple Rivet style would be a nice break. Probably not feasible for this summer, but something to lock away for later if the concept proves popular.

14. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Personally, I would love a 5 pocket pant with a bit of stretch in a fit equivalent to the rivet chino