• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a tailor can shorten the shirt. just make sure you specify what you want the bottom of the shirt to look like--what it looks like now, that is, with a curve, or straight across (some tailors will do this if you don't tell them what to do and it looks funny imo,) or what.

Dbear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in your exact same boat Jslade, and tailor is your only (best) option.

Nobody is going to make a TTS medium to fit someone (lengthwise) that is 5'8" (I'm 5'7").

I have all my shirts that I ever intend on wearing untucked shortened to the perfect length (basically hitting midrise). It's much easier than trying to find the perfect shirt (there isn't such a thing).

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dbear
I'm in your exact same boat Jslade, and tailor is your only (best) option.

Nobody is going to make a TTS medium to fit someone (lengthwise) that is 5'8" (I'm 5'7").

I have all my shirts that I ever intend on wearing untucked shortened to the perfect length (basically hitting midrise). It's much easier than trying to find the perfect shirt (there isn't such a thing).

Oh it exists......your tailor creates it.
laugh.gif

homefloyd

Reaction score
I like this rule: if the shirt isn't worth tailoring, it isn't worth owning.

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drbaw
Sold out in under 3 hours? Damn. Is there a queue for returns or cancellations?

Pffft. Shadow dot is for amateurs. Real men get the washed red pants.

Haha washed red pants would be no problem for me. I've just never owned a polka dot shirt before....but I will soon enough, so we'll see.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the problem for me isn't that I'm too cheap to take it to a tailor. It's that I haven't found a tailor that I trust to do this type of job. I've had tailors in the past alter a shirt perfectly the first time, and then completely **** me over the second time over the exact same alteration. I'm sure that many of you can relate to what I'm talking about.

I'll give Epaulet shirts a second try. The shadow dot shirts are smokin' hot, and I really need to get in some of this Epaulet action. Can't let the rest of you guys have all the fun.
smile.gif

Lastly, though, how do you guys deal with the messed up button stance when you shorten a shirt? I'd like to shorten my size in Epaulet shirts by about two inches or so, preferably, but to my understanding, the buttons are placed how they're placed for the length that the original pattern is cut in. Is the awkward button stance just something that you'll have to deal with when you have a shirt shortened, or is there an affordable workaround?

LPatterson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
Honestly, the problem for me isn't that I'm too cheap to take it to a tailor. It's that I haven't found a tailor that I trust to do this type of job. I've had tailors in the past alter a shirt perfectly the first time, and then completely **** me over the second time over the exact same alteration. I'm sure that many of you can relate to what I'm talking about.

I'll give Epaulet shirts a second try. The shadow dot shirts are smokin' hot, and I really need to get in some of this Epaulet action. Can't let the rest of you guys have all the fun.
smile.gif

Lastly, though, how do you guys deal with the messed up button stance when you shorten a shirt? I'd like to shorten my size in Epaulet shirts by about two inches or so, preferably, but to my understanding, the buttons are placed how they're placed for the length that the original pattern is cut in. Is the awkward button stance just something that you'll have to deal with when you have a shirt shortened, or is there an affordable workaround?

Have you tried Cantu Tailors on NW Highway?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elwood49
Mike, 2 quick questions: 1. Any chance for a restock on the OJ linen? I would love to pick up a 36. 2. Any way to special order shoe sizes larger than a 12? I am a size 13D normally, so I'd be a 12.5 in your shoes. I'd love to get the Alden Cordovan Indys and the natural pennys in a 12.5. I got my gunmetal chinos and mashup gingham shirt along with the shadow dot preorder this week. Pretty excited for all 3.
Unfortunately, all those linen colors (Red, Tangerine, British Khaki) are totally tapped out. I think that we have the Natural Irish linen in a 36 though. We can easily get stock Alden shoes (Indy, Unlined Chukka, Color 8 longwing) in your size without a problem. In the Fall, I should be able to do special orders of our more popular Sewn by Hand shoes as well. We took some on the last round of Natural CXL penny's, and it went really smooth. I have a lot of leather stock coming around early Sept, and we can definitely do some special order sizing. I can do widths and narrows too.
Originally Posted by jslade
Hey Mike, It's heartening to see you bringing this issue up. I suppose I'd fall under the category of the "short, stocky guys" that you mentioned, although not to the degree of being 5'8" and needing a XL. I'm a little under 5'8", but am pretty built in the upper body, and need to take a medium in your shirts. As such, I find that the length is a little too long on me, as I generally don't tuck in my shirts. I've been eyeing your shadow dots and your mashups and even your regular oxfords and have been dying to make Epaulet work for me. Any suggestions on what to do? Do you think that the 30" length might be a little too long for a guy who's 5'8" when it'll work great for a guy who's 6'0"?
Hmm, most guys at 5'8" would find the length of a medium spot-on, but it always boils down to a mix of your torso length and your fit preference. With the exception of certain "shrunken" styles like Band of Outsiders and Thom Browne, our shirts are generally on the shorter side of most off the rack styles. I'd echo the sentiment of the other members: tailoring is always a great option. I understand the hesitation of a lot of customers. If you've never done it before, then tailoring seems like a hassle and it's an expense that you didn't anticipate. But it's crucial to getting the fit that you really want. And when you purchase quality items, then it's worth the time and trouble to make them as perfect as possible. When I was in my early 20's, I was totally resistant to this. As such, I bought a lot of ill-fitting **** that I didn't need from the Barney's sale rack every season. And I never got it tailored, even though I lived in NYC where there's a tailor or dry cleaner on every single block. It contributed to me looking ridiculous in quite a lot of photos from that time, believe me. You don't want to try and remake a lousy fitting garment, but when something works great in most dimensions, and it's made well, then I feel it's always worth the expense of having a professional fit it you. All those Italian dudes in the five million Pitti Uomo style shots didn't just waltz down to the local department store and pick an unstructured blazer off the rack. You can bet that many "perfect" fits are the result of an experienced tailor's touch. But yes, after that long-winded tangent, it's totally possible to have shirt hems done. And even modestly experienced tailors can do an excellent job on it. A lot of my in-store customers have it done. As always, I encourage you to wash and hang dry the shirt once before tailoring just to insure that there's no shrinkage whatsoever in the length.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LPatterson
Have you tried Cantu Tailors on NW Highway?
I haven't before. Would you recommend them? They're not too far away from where I live, actually. Maybe a 20 minute drive from the Willow Bend neighborhood. Plano/Dallas has always seemed like a moderately fashion-deprived city from what I've seen.
redface.gif

Originally Posted by Epaulet
Hmm, most guys at 5'8" would find the length of a medium spot-on, but it always boils down to a mix of your torso length and your fit preference. With the exception of certain "shrunken" styles like Band of Outsiders and Thom Browne, our shirts are generally on the shorter side of most off the rack styles.

I'd echo the sentiment of the other members: tailoring is always a great option. I understand the hesitation of a lot of customers. If you've never done it before, then tailoring seems like a hassle and it's an expense that you didn't anticipate. But it's crucial to getting the fit that you really want. And when you purchase quality items, then it's worth the time and trouble to make them as perfect as possible.

You don't want to try and remake a lousy fitting garment, but when something works great in most dimensions, and it's made well, then I feel it's always worth the expense of having a professional fit it you. All those Italian dudes in the five million Pitti Uomo style shots didn't just waltz down to the local department store and pick an unstructured blazer off the rack. You can bet that many "perfect" fits are the result of an experienced tailor's touch.

But yes, after that long-winded tangent, it's totally possible to have shirt hems done. And even modestly experienced tailors can do an excellent job on it. A lot of my in-store customers have it done. As always, I encourage you to wash and hang dry the shirt once before tailoring just to insure that there's no shrinkage whatsoever in the length.

Thanks for the excellent response, Mike. I'll be placing an order as soon as I can get back from my trip later this month.
smile.gif

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, threw you a PM, shoot me a response whenever you're not logged down at the store.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by warrenjl1
Looking forward to picking up some of those gray summer wool pants in the Rudy fit after my Gant return goes through. A good menswear staple always beats silly impulse sale buys. I should have known.

Which ones are you getting? I just picked up the grey Rudy in super 120s.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey mike ... im sure your swamped but i sent you a pm regarding a specific preorder. im in no rush but just wanted to make sure it didnt get lost in the recent commotion.

and any updates on smaller sizes of grey rivet chinos? sorry not sure if you answered this already

konadog

Reaction score
My tangerine linen walts arrived today. Every bit as good as i anticipated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads