• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
Re: the Monitaly blazer-- I just can't get behind black anymore. There are too many photographs of me from the not-so-recent past in almost all black and all I can think of now is how much better a bit of dark gray or navy would have looked.

That parka is pretty much the thing forever, though. Just demonstrate a bit of caution with the rest of your outfit and it'll go over fine.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by about11oclock
That parka does not look particularly easy to wear (maybe I just suffer from a swag deficiency), but it's awesome regardless.

Nope, it's actually really easy to wear - as long as you like plaid.

The overall color tone is perfect with every shade of chino and great with denim. This would look super-fresh with khaki shorts and camp mocs too.

Originally Posted by kgmessier
That blazer looks super sweet, Mike! Especially love the buttons. I just picked up a pair of Monitaly flat-front pants from Context. I wonder how the two pieces would look together. Thoughts, or would they look silly?

- K

Thanks! Well, I feel that that Monitaly actually made a matching trouser for this, that you could wear as kind-of full cotton suit. Could be cool in a very Japanese Americana way.

I really like this jacket a lot with complimentary chinos though - which you seem to own plenty of!

Mike, I just read this:

The chest measurement for the 38 is 19.5". Wouldn't that align with an Epaulet shirt S rather than M?
[/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font]

It's a different shape - different armholes and lined sleeves with a reinforced armpit panel. All three of the Epaulet guys (me and the two employees) take Larges in the shirts, and size 40 is really slim on us. I'd definitely put the 38 equal to our Medium shirt.

Originally Posted by sazon
Just wanted to share that I bought a few pair of the Walt pants and they are so damn nice, I don't want to wear anything else.

The wool is so soft. Fit is spot on.

My grandfather, RIP, used to show me many of his old garments from the 40s and 50s that were made in Brooklyn, with the labels proudly sewn in. Quality pieces. Never thought I'd be able to do the same, until places like Ep's came along. Thanks Mike& Adele!

Joe S.

Thanks Joe! Really glad that you're so pleased with the trousers! Going to be an awesome match to those Cigar boots.

Originally Posted by wanger
Quick question.. Tried searching but couldn't find any pertinent info; do the folks who have the EP chinos consider themselves as large-in-leg? I'm 5'11, 175lbs with quite muscular legs, the thigh measurements and hem look perfect but I'm worried the knee might be a bit small (would probably be going with a 32).

I wouldn't worry about the knees - they haven't been an issue for any customer that I've ever seen.

And it depends how muscular your legs are - the chinos work well for most guys with athletic builds. I'd only worry about them being too slim if you're a really hardcore cyclist or weightlifter - and you have a difficult time fitting into most slim-ish pants and jeans.

Originally Posted by dsoren

Are three button blazers back or did they never go out?

This is crispy as hell. Rocking it could be challenging. It would look dumb over a plaid shirt. Thoughts?

Nah, the never go out of style. I'd say that three buttons have been making a comeback for a little while now. We can mostly thank Thom Browne for that. And in a casual jacket like this, I always prefer three buttons so that it can be a reasonable Spring outerwear piece too.

And yeah, rocking the parka over a patterned shirt is tough but not impossible. It looks awesome to just attempt such a thing. I'm sure that the next issue of Free & Easy will have a psycho Japanese hippie guy pairing exactly that with lobster screen-printed capri pants and birkenstocks.

Originally Posted by nbernie
Mike,
I asked this over on the Alden thread but got mixed replies:
Is revello shell more like the strongly red color of the Brixtons on your website or more like the soft brown here: http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/201...shortwing-lsw/

I was told that it could vary from run to run, so speaking for what you've got in shop, is the brixton color accurate? Super excited to get them but trying to figure out my other Alden purchases around what the color actually is.

Oh man, it's really tough to say. I'm just looking at those on a monitor, so I can't tell the exact tone of the Leather Soul ones.

Shell colors definitely vary from batch to batch. Our last delivery of the Ravello Brixton was especially red-ish in tone. It's impossible to say whether our Fall delivery will be the same.

That said, I've never had a customer look at a pair of Whiskey, Cigar, or Ravello shoes on their feet and think that it's anything less than absolutely gorgeous. No matter what the individual tone of that specific run, it's still going to be fantastic.

Any trench coat plans this spring, Mike?

Oh yes - got an awesome beeswax coated single-breasted mac from Gant Rugger. Going online soon!

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purchased the herringbone rivet chinos - they are awesome. Got them when I stopped by the Manhattan store to check fit. Mike was, as has been stated here hundreds of times, helpful and pleasant to deal with.

He didn't have my Cigars in 10, but I'll get on the preorder.

These pants are awesome. Will be buying most of my pants from Epaulet from now on, as the fit makes me feel like Steve McQueen.

Local_Disk

Reaction score
So uhh... when can we hear about the new design tweaks on your shirts??

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to sell my never worn (tried on) altered to approx 30.5" L with about half an inch to let out rivet chino charcoal herringbone. Waist size 31. I shoulda' got these in a 32.
Will list on B&S tonight or tomorrow but thought I would offer up to this forum first. Hope this doesn't break rules or get me banned! Anyway, cheaper here than they will be on B&S. Limited time offer of $120 shipped CONUS. Paypal only please.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PorterInjax
Going to sell my never worn (tried on) altered to approx 30.5" L with about half an inch to let out rivet chino charcoal herringbone. Waist size 31. I shoulda' got these in a 32.
Will list on B&S tonight or tomorrow but thought I would offer up to this forum first. Hope this doesn't break rules or get me banned! Anyway, cheaper here than they will be on B&S. Limited time offer of $120 shipped CONUS. Paypal only please.

Damn you. Just payed 180 for these Saturday. Damn you.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to sell my never worn (tried on) altered to approx 30.5" L with about half an inch to let out rivet chino charcoal herringbone. Waist size 31. I shoulda' got these in a 32. Will list on B&S tonight or tomorrow but thought I would offer up to this forum first. Hope this doesn't break rules or get me banned! Anyway, cheaper here than they will be on B&S. Limited time offer of $120 shipped CONUS. Paypal only please.
Would've grabbed them if the length weren't altered.
frown.gif

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Damn you. Just payed 180 for these Saturday. Damn you.

yeah...I paid that plus the alteration fee...oh well. I'm thinking the $120 is a good price so hope to minimize my loss.

*#..

Reaction score
yeah...I paid that plus the alteration fee...oh well. I'm thinking the $120 is a good price so hope to minimize my loss.

I was going to order the Heavyweight Stones in 30, but someone posted a pair hemmed to 32.5" for $110 + $10 shipping. Of course, I pmed the guy within 1 hour of him posting, so someone will definitely cop at that price. They're on the way (from Canada
frown.gif
), but I'm happy they're already hemmed for me.
laugh.gif

thebarsmydestination

Reaction score
Tragedy! I picked up one of the Epaulet x Tanner Goods tie clips a few months back and today it's gone. I think it was just too-- too much of a brick of silver to hang on to my shirt. It did weigh an effton. I'd noticed it'd been a little loose but risked it, because that's how it rolls.

Still, it was boss while it lasted.

Any plans for anything similar in the near future?

cl smooth

Reaction score
please let us know when you get more kurabo selvedge in!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roguls
Purchased the herringbone rivet chinos - they are awesome. Got them when I stopped by the Manhattan store to check fit. Mike was, as has been stated here hundreds of times, helpful and pleasant to deal with.

He didn't have my Cigars in 10, but I'll get on the preorder.

These pants are awesome. Will be buying most of my pants from Epaulet from now on, as the fit makes me feel like Steve McQueen.

Thank you sir - it was nice meeting you!

Originally Posted by Local_Disk
So uhh... when can we hear about the new design tweaks on your shirts??

Well for the next delivery we've got two special things:

1. White and Blue oxfords with slim point collars and contrast details on the inside collar and inside cuff.

2. A twisted up flap pocket butttondown with three or four different tartan patterns.

Originally Posted by thebarsmydestination
Tragedy! I picked up one of the Epaulet x Tanner Goods tie clips a few months back and today it's gone. I think it was just too-- too much of a brick of silver to hang on to my shirt. It did weigh an effton. I'd noticed it'd been a little loose but risked it, because that's how it rolls.

Still, it was boss while it lasted.

Any plans for anything similar in the near future?

Oh ****, sorry to hear that. Check your PM's

Originally Posted by cl smooth
please let us know when you get more kurabo selvedge in!

Got a new run on order - should be about 3 weeks.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Well for the next delivery we've got two special things:

1. White and Blue oxfords with slim point collars and contrast details on the inside collar and inside cuff.

2. A twisted up flap pocket butttondown with three or four different tartan patterns.

Ah, sounds very interesting... will there be a white OCBD as well, or is this the white oxford you've been saying was coming for awhile now?

Oh and I'm still stoked about the madras shirts you mentioned awhile back, did you ever get those fabric swatches? I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we'd love to get a sneak peek. Actually, that goes for everything, not just the madras.

about11oclock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
Ah, sounds very interesting... will there be a white OCBD as well, or is this the white oxford you've been saying was coming for awhile now?

Oh and I'm still stoked about the madras shirts you mentioned awhile back, did you ever get those fabric swatches? I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we'd love to get a sneak peek. Actually, that goes for everything, not just the madras.

Mike, since SVB is your #1 customer, you should fly him to NYC for his pilgrimmage, and shoot a lookbook with him. It would be too funny if he was the Epaulet model.

Or maybe I just live too deep in internet meme land sometimes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads