Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Hmmm... On the length of the tees. I suppose this may in part have to do with proportions, but I just over 6 feet and don't feel as if the tees are too short. Ymmv I suppose.

In re. Fabrics (mentioned in be context of the Wilshire, but true otherwise) Epaulet has been a real education for me in what really well chosen fabrics mean for an article of clothing. Cut and style are critical and the quality of the material is as well.

Looking forward to those henleys.

2. tricky

tricky Senior member

Crap I'm about to leave on vacation without Internet access just as new product is about to drop!!!!

3. Louys

Louys Senior member

Concerning the henleys:

1) When are they expected?

2) What colors? (Fingers crossed for wheat and heathered grey)

3) How deep is the placket? (I've not been a fan of henleys that have a shallow placket.)

4. chrispy650

chrispy650 Senior member

I'll be definitely checking the site often tonight/tomorrow morning for the restock (not that I haven't been already). Really excited for the henley as well. Favorite casual shirt for those warmer days, which is almost all year in socal [​IMG]

5. jlykos

jlykos Member

Me too. I'm six feet even and the Large is the perfect length. I even mistakenly sent one through the dryer and it didn't shrink too much and is still a good length.

6. kwanon

kwanon Senior member

Yessss....
    Colors? Off-white would be great. Heather gray, too.

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Barena and moleskin Walts:

[​IMG]

8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

+1

9. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

T-shirts are a little short on me too, unfortunately. Oh well, you can't please everyone!

10. applky

applky Senior member

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

11. slimandnone

slimandnone Active Member

Hey all,

I am seeking advice from the group. I would like to buy a wingtip shoe, and I am currently focused on the Alden shortwing in burnished tan, and the Carmina Fitzgerald in dark brown calf. My intent is to find something versatile -- these days I am trending more toward business casual, and even denim, as opposed to suits or sport coats, but I do like the idea of being able to dress it up when the occasion calls for it.

Does the tan of the Alden make it more casual than the darker brown of the Carmina, and thus, more limited? The product descriptions provided by Epaulet describe them both as being capable of dressing up or down, but I just thought I would toss it out to the group to get a broader range of input (although if the Epaulet folks have ideas I welcome them, too, of course!).

I appreciate any wisdom offered here.

12. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

^ The darker brown is more versatile but it is basically correct that both will dress up and down pretty well. Both work with jeans or business casual. I think it's close and both are nice models. I'd take the Carmina for Fall/Winter use and the Alden for Spring/Summer. If you don't have a good brown shoe, though, I'd start with the Carminas.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

13. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Colors are so close that realistically it's more about your personal inclination and of course fit. Both would work well with navy, gray, and of course browns.

Personally, I don't think either are particularly great w/ jeans unless either the denim or the shoes is pretty beat up. More faded denim that's not raw/dark looks great w/ these browns, but otherwise I'm not as much of a fan. Plenty of people will disagree w/ this, and some people can pair up good fits that I'll like, but in general, that's my view. I prefer lighter brown, or more beat up CXL shades, in a LWB w/ denim.

14. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Good call! These are two of our best selling shoes.

So, IMO, both colors are really equally versatile. They're both very comfortable and excellent shoes.

The Alden looks significantly chunkier, and takes the edge in casual looks IMO. If you're often very dressed up - wearing suits in particular - then the dark brown Fitzgerald is great. It's very much a head-on dress shoe. If you tend to wear jeans and chinos more often, then I think that you'll find the Alden more useful. It can certainly be worn as a dress shoe as well, but the lighter color, the contrast between the upper and the sole, and the thicker shape works a bit better with casual pieces.

Absolutely. We'll have a full size run of white, indigo, and grey in NYC by early next week.

Good call! I actually haven't finalized the colors yet, but these are good suggestions. We'll surely run the white that we have in the tees now, which is a bit off-white in person.

I'm glad that you guys brought up the t-shirt length. This was a big decision for all of us. Ultimately, we found that the length that the tees are was what most of our customers were looking for. They fit our staff well, and our return rate on the t-shirts is extremely low, so they're working for the majority of guys that pick them up.

That said, I definitely understand that one length can't please everyone, and they may prove too long or too short depending on the length of your torso and how you prefer your tees to fit. Depending on how our biz develops, maybe this is something that we can offer in the future. I'm considering to make the henley's one inch longer regardless, as I think that a slightly longer shape would lend itself nicely to that design.

They're probably about 6 weeks out. Placket is 3.5" long, which is pretty standard, I'd say. Not really shallow or deep. It will close with three resin buttons. Good call on the colors! We're definitely going to include an indigo delivery of dark wash indigo, dark wash OD black, and light bleach washed henleys - in addition to the usual garment dyed colors.

The henley shape is fresh. I'll probably have a sample to show in a few days. I think that it's going to prove to be a killer item.

Sadly no, that was a limited run fabric and it's all good. We'll have something along those lines in about a month though. Not quite that light, but it has a great yarn.

Glad you asked! From Wikipedia:

The process was devised in 1844 by John Mercer of Great Harwood, Lancashire, England, who treated cotton fibres with sodium hydroxide. The treatment caused the fibres to swell, which in Mercer's version of the process shrank the overall fabric size and made it stronger and easier to dye. The process did not become popular, however, until H. A. Lowe improved it into its modern form in 1890. By holding the cotton during treatment to prevent it from shrinking, Lowe found that the fibre gained a lustrous appearance.[1][2]

Mercerisation alters the chemical structure of the cotton fibre. The structure of the fibre inter-converts from alpha-cellulose to a thermodynamically more favourable beta-cellulose polymorph.[citation needed] Mercerising results in the swelling of the cell wall of the cotton fibre. This causes increase in the surface area and reflectance, and gives the fibre a softer feel.

The cotton used for the Luchino has a light weight and a very open weave. The mercerization allows for it to be wearable and durable. Without that process, it would probably fall apart with a good amount of wear. It also gives it that subtle shine and dressier appearance. Mercerized cotton is something that the Italians do exceptionally well. It's actually really hard to find mercerized cotton pieces here in the States, but they're very common in Europe.

Our pima pique will be more standard - along the lines of a Fred Perry or RL polo, but with a softer hand and higher quality fiber. Being pima cotton, it will be more resistant to stretching out.

15. althanis

althanis Senior member

Hey Mike, I think you might have missed my question (you quoted it but didn't appear to answer it) - do you have any size 34 or 35 sportcoat in stock in NY that I could try on in anticipation of a future FF order? I have the 36 but think the 35 or 34 might be best (probably 35) but would still want to try it on.