1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. tricky

tricky Distinguished Member

I received a pair of scotch grain Carmina boots with danite sole and as much as I refuse to wear black shoes/boots....these will get plenty of wear because they're straight up awesome.

I know Mike mentioned a bit ago that the scotch grain is super tough and can be worn in slush, salt etc without getting ruined. Just wondering if anyone has done so and what, if any, treatment is appropriate.

I have various treatments like Reno, obenauf, Filson boot oil, AE polishes etc.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014

2. velomane

velomane Senior Member

Tricky,

Have you thought of using Alden's Leather Defender? I've applied some to some of my cordovan boots, but have yet to test it against the elements. Anyone else care to comment on the stuff?

3. applky

applky Distinguished Member

Renovateur on everything. I don't know if I'd use heavy treatments like Obenauf's on scotch grain, even the tough kind. If you do, use a toothbrush and get it in around the welt, which is where water usually comes in and gets your feet wet.

You can try to find those Tarrago Nano Protector or Saphir Invulner waterproofing sprays in Canada (they're aerosols and can't be shipped over international borders generally).

A light application of wax and/or cream polish helps a great deal in waterproofing the whole shoe. Don't overdo it on the polish, though.

4. tricky

tricky Distinguished Member

Thanks for that. I have red wings and Sorrels for proper crap so I wouldn't put these through anything too bad.

I will use the Reno and I also have Tarrago Nano Protector spray.

Honestly I have all the various SF-approved show creams and sprays and have never really properly looked into how and when to use. Time to stop being lazy :)

5. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

I own a pair of scotch-grain bluchers from Brooks Brothers, branded Peal & Co. and I believe made by A&S. I treated them with Obenauf's LP and several coats of wax polish before wearing them and they are holding up very well.

6. Don L

Don L Distinguished Member

Grey POW Super 130's maiden voyage. The hand on these is fantastic. Highly recommend these especially at the Sales Price.

[​IMG]

7. HughJ

HughJ Senior Member

Some days I leave for work and it's looking ok, and then I have to slog through a foot of snow to get to the snowblower when I get home. This winter has sucked for that (and for blown our snow tires with impossible wheel sizes, but that's another story....)

I used several coats of polish on my scotch grains as thinman suggested, plus sno-seal on the welt for good measure. Super low maintenance after that. Grain leather cleans up so easily.

8. leftofthedial

leftofthedial Distinguished Member

I've out the scotch grain jodhpurs through hell this winter and they're holding up nicely.

Renovateur is incredible and has been mostly what I used. Although I did put some wax that came with a pair of Blundstone boots on them for a little extra resistance.

Obenauf's would probably work well on the black scotch, because it really can't darker them too much (seeing as how they're black). Nano Protector would work as well.

Bottom line, those boots are meant to take a beating!

9. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior Member

I wrote a post a while back on my blog about the history of Scotch Grain and one of the things I found out is that scotch grain leather isn’t inherently more water resistant compared to other leather, which can be a common misconception. If anything, the bumpy texture of the leather allows water to roll off more easily, but that’s about it.
    Shoes with scotch grain usually fair better in bad weather conditions because they also feature rubber Danite soles and stormwelts - two features that will not only keep your feet dry, but also prevent water from seeping into the inner parts of your shoe, which would wear them out faster. Throw some Obenauf’s LP on top of that and you’ll find that your scotch grain shoes will carry you through the harshest of elements.

10. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Epaulet Navy Hopsack Walts on a warm Sunday afternoon in San Francisco.

And to top it off, I got received this yesterday:
    [​IMG]
    My MTO Southwick Navy Hopsack blazer. Looking forward to getting it tailored and then going to wear the hell out of it. Much thanks to the Epaulet crew (especially Matt who checked up on this for me)!

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Distinguished Member

That box looks exciting. I'm expecting Rudys to arrive by the end of the week as well. :slayer:

12. PCK1

PCK1 Distinguished Member

I wouldn't bother treating scotch grain with anything.

Just put shoe trees in them after every wearing, brush them with a horsehair brush, let them dry.

Depending on the amount you wear them, apply a small amount of saphir renovateur (dime sized) to each boot when needed. Follow with a dime sized amount of appropriately colored cream polish. You can apply wax to the heels and toes after this if you want to achieve a high-gloss mirror shine and if you know how to create this type of shine.

13. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Very nice. I dig those shoes too.
    Linen won't typically be harmed with a gentle cold wash and hang dry, but it can shrink in unpredictable ways. It it could shrink a bit in width/length and not be too tight on you, then I'd say no problem. But since the factory deems it as dry clean only, I can't estimate how much it will shrink, or if it will at all.
    Great fit overall. Those pants really kick ass. Are they EG?
    If all goes according to plan, I'll have the Grey, White and Indigo Restock Wilshires on Friday in the Santa Monica store. Pushing like crazy for that. It will take a few days for fit photos, but I'll be able to shoot studio pretty quickly and have them online and ready for sale by Saturday. You guys will be the first to know when they come in. Fabric is 14oz Kaihara Selvedge - it's the same yarn as the indigo, just a dark steel grey color. They're going to be amazing! And yes, we should be able to accommodate Navy Digicam special orders in Walt/Rudy/Driggs. The factory went through a rough patch with the psycho weather here and got backed up significantly, so I put off the Trouser MTO program for a few weeks. But we should be able to get that online by the end of the month. I'm just waiting on word that they can commit to a 4-6 week delivery period again.
    Absolutely, we can do a Rudy special of the Salt/Pepper tweed right now. We've made quite a few of them. Email Matt at matt[at]epauletnewyork.com and he can set that up for you. And glad to hear that you guys like the Wool/Cash/Mink trousers! I'm absolutely loving my pair. We've got some stock remaining and online if anyone out there is interested. This fabric is completely cut and made, so we're not able to restock or offer special orders in it. These are the last remaining units of a really incredible trouser. We actually haven't mentioned this in our email newsletter yet, so it's going to get blasted out tomorrow. If any SF guys are interested, then you're pretty much the only people in the know about the on-hand inventory right now. Wool-Cash-Mink Walt Trouser Charcoal: sizes 28,30,32,33 Wool-Cash-Mink Walt Trouser Sienna Brown: sizes 30,31,32,33,34 Wool-Mink-Cash Rudy Trouser Sienna Brown: size 36 only
    Excellent! You're going to love it! It's a great camera to play around with. My only suggestions are: 1) Shoot in Aperture Priority, ISO Auto Mode 2) It's got a GREAT flash for party and event photos. You can get really close (3" away) and still have proper, clean exposures that aren't washed out) 3) I added +1 to the sharpness settings for in-camera processing and I just shoot jpegs. They look brilliant and print out nicely
    I've never babied Scotchgrain, and I find it really resistant to all sorts of crap. I think that you can absolutely use Obenaufs. Nano Protector is great too. I'd say that anything really goes for it. The only stuff that I stay away from - at least in the earlier stages of wearing the shoe - is colored polishes. Scotchgrain has that hard finish and tends to absorb oils and water less than calf, cow, or shell. When I polish it with a wax, I find that it has a tendency to rub off on clothing and furniture. So I stick with light coats of clear and neutral things.
    Oh yes! Thanks for picking up the jacket and enjoy it!

14. budapest12

budapest12 Distinguished Member

PSA -- If you are a size 32 and are looking for trousers less slim than the Walts, check the sale section. I even left a few pairs for you. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

How's the leg opening on the Walt? I have a size 12 shoe so while I am 6'1 and 170 and can certainly handle slimmer stuff I don't like too much tapering and a narrower leg opening because the shoes end up looking very stupid and enlarged.

Edit: Ah, I see 8" for a 32. Whoops. Time to measure some of my other pants to compare.