Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

I'm not a lifer, but I have a fair bit of experience w/ high-priced MIJ denim. It's just two different beasts. The Wilshires are solid mid-weight denim that's been washed, so for one thing the hand is quite soft from the start, even more so than any one-wash models of from somewhere like BiG. They are super solid, well made, and easy to wear. It's mostly a cut thing. If the cut works, and you're in the market for a basic jean, these are great.

Higher end denim turns a corner beyond the mere sum of fabric and fabrication into the subtleties of cut, weight, details, brand provenance etc. Wether that's worth the cost is utterly subjective, and a whole thread of its own. To those who might literally wear trousers like a wool Walt a few times a year, paying nearly $300 for them would seem absurd, no matter how well made they are etc. To those who can't fathom why a pair of jeans should cost that much, well, if you wear them 3-5 days/week, perhaps they take on a different value metric etc.

2. beez

beez Senior member

If the Wilshire's were cut a bit slimmer, I would definitely be down. My main issue is that I already have a couple of raw pairs in the rotation getting broken in, and adding another into the mix would really slow down the process. :)

3. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

The Wilshire is a slim jean and is definitely slimmer than both the Walt and the Rivet Chinos. But it's designed so that most guys who comfortably wear the Walt and the Rivet will also like the fit of the Wilshire in their usual size. All things being equal, most guys like their jeans to be slimmer than their trousers and because jeans are tougher and meant to flex with wear, they can be worn slimmer. If you ever tried to wear a dress trouser as slim as some guys wear jeans, you'd bust the rear seam the first time that you bend over. Denim can flex and jeans have heavy felled seams which allow them to fit more closely.

We've sold about 85 pairs of Wilshires so far, and we've taken very few exchanges on them. I've personally sold a lot of them in the Santa Monica stop and I've seen their fit on a large range of guys. No one jean can fit everyone, but this one comes close :) and will most likely work if you like our other fits. The one caveat is that anyone who takes a Rudy trouser or finds the Walt/Rivet to be on the edge of too tight in the thighs will probably find the Wilshire to be too slim. But we're working on a jean for those guys (and me) as we speak!

Regarding the Wilshire's positioning against other brands, Frank Cowperwood and oboy_oboy are exactly right. It's not intended to replace or be the equivalent to very high-end Japanese brands, and there's a lot of justification for the pricing of products like Iron Heart and Samurai. It's supposed to be a solid jean, made in great quality denim, put together by the most skilled workshop in LA, pre-rinsed for an easy and comfortable fit, and trimmed with subtle details. It's cool, it's bullshit-free, and it's a very good value for the price. And I'll go ahead and say that it has one of the best fits of any jean out there. We worked for months on the pattern, and I think that it strikes a unique balance of casting a slim profile while keeping a correct fit at the waist.

Oh man, I'm sorry about that. That's definitely a defect, the coin pocket should not be coming off like that. Drop us an email with your details and we'll get you a replacement for them.

Agreed - I've had my Barena jacket for a little over a year and its loosened up in both the body and the sleeves. It's knit, so this is natural.

4. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

EPAULET FALL FIT CONTEST POLL!

Thanks so much for your patience on this guys. After long last, the poll is alive! Lots of arse-kicking photos to view and vote for. Can't wait to see who the winner is!

Epaulet Fit Contest Poll Thread

5. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Though I don't own them, I can totally see the value in denim. It's really so durable that if the other details are right, then you are going to get so much wear it really is something of a different beast. I don't think anyone would ever wear high-quality wool trousers the way they'd wear high-quality denim.

Ha ha you and me both, but you exhibit better impulse control. Good for you. :)

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Me too. I have plenty of denim and would prefer a slightly narrower knee on the Wilshire. That being said, I will still be buying the grey Wilshire's the second they are released...

7. applky

applky Senior member

My two cents: I put a 2" cuff on all my heavier wool Walt trousers.

8. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

I debated this, too, but I am not into cuffs these days. I used to prefer it on all heavy trousers but the slim, tapered leg of the walts and changed my mind on this.

I'm not tall, so if you are tall, I'd say cuff 'em if you plan to wear boots and don't cuff 'em if you plan to wear shoes. Just my opinion.

9. applky

applky Senior member

Yes, I'm 6' tall, which influenced my decision.

Why the shoe/boot difference, though?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  10. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

That's just my preference. With a big, 2" cuff, I think that looks good with boots and not so good with shoes.

11. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Thanks for all the additional insight guys. Do they carry the jeans in the Manhattan store? I'm going to be in the neighborhood this afternoon.

12. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

I'm sitting here trying to decide between the Eisenhower Deerskin jacket and the Redford Fawn Suede Sportcoat, 1st world problems!

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Get both and send me one.... ha ha ha.

Epaulet x4 (Barena, EPLA western shirt and plum tee, and Bedford cord RCs)

[​IMG]

14. Dirty Gurty

Dirty Gurty Senior member

^^^Is not of very much help! [​IMG]

Also, that Barena fits you great, nicely done.

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Looks great, Frank! I personally prefer the look with the western untucked