Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Goodman

Goodman Senior member

Damn my leg length discrepancy. On the plus side I'm sure there will be some fantastic fabrics to choose from.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2014
  2. FLW

FLW Senior member

Shit just got real. :nodding:

3. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

4. upgrayedd

upgrayedd Well-Known Member

Will the Oxford Cloth Rivet Chino's be coming back this year? And if so, will they be available in the MTO program? Will there be any other fabrics added to the MTO RC's? I'd love to get a pair of the Ash Twills.

5. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I Know EP recommended a few tailors around their neighborhood, but what about shoe cobblers for Carmina, Alden and Vass?

6. slimandnone

slimandnone Active Member

I vote for either the olive or forest, but that is 100% my own personal taste and not a guess as to what will sell best.

7. Wade

Wade Senior member

B Nelson

8. StanleyVanBuren

Red!

I bought a BoO red overdye back in 2011 because I thought it looked so damn cool. I ended up selling it at a slight loss on B&S because the BoO fit just didn't work for me.

But I would replace this with an EPLA model in a second:

[​IMG]

The key, for me at least, is that it's got to be this fiery almost-orange-ish red for it to really kill. A darker or deeper red doesn't have the same allure.

Think "Porsche Guards Red"

[​IMG]

Pantone 185 C:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. oisin

oisin Senior member

For me, the idea of wearing black is very contextual and these days comes with some baggage. I too wore a lot of grey/black in high school (black Op Ivy shirt, black Bad Religion shirt, black docs, black hoodie, etc.). Los Angeles though strikes me as a very brown sort of town. Lots of desert and chaparral, low and spread out, hills and beach and sunshine. Black to me is a bit punk rock, and also very city-oriented (both traditionally with the black in town tradition in London and also just the vibe one gets being in a city with lots of grey buildings and sidewalks and shadows like New York or Chicago (and parts of LA)). Black is manmade while browns are the color of nature. Black is the Ramones and Lou Reed. Hell's Angels and Raiders fans. It is also architects and "creative types". And a lot of the current disdain does have to do with d-bag club goers and people wearing terrible shoes and suits that make them look like security guards or morticians.

I think black has gone off the rails a bit because it can be harder to wear black and not look particularly like someone (whereas workwear and such can look nostalgic for an era and is clearly casual but speaks less to a particular person or subculture). One of the great things about Parker's look for me is that it actually avoids those issues. He's not wearing a motorcycle jacket. His pants have some texture and flow. The turtleneck and its rich color further softens things. In general I think there is not enough black using texture because black is often supposed to elicit a really clean sharp look. I like his more relaxed vibe. I think there's possibly some room to play there.

I agree though that black should not be as divisive of a color (lack of color) as it is. I doubt you'd ever find me in a black suit (other than a tux but even then my tux is dark navy), but I do dig black in a lot of contexts, especially casually. I like Parker's pic a lot, but the grey hair, the black glasses, and the burgundy/plum sweater help make it for me. Black is often an edgier look. IMO, I think it can also wash people out, especially white-ass (red) dudes like me (and especially if you leave out other color). Done well it looks super smart. I definitely look forward to seeing what Epaulet and others produce, and how people put them together. I could see myself getting back in black.

10. StanleyVanBuren

Plus there is always this great quote from Ann Demeulemeester: "Black is not sad. Bright colors are what depresses me. They’re so… empty. Black is poetic. How do you imagine a poet? In a bright yellow jacket? Probably not."

Not that I agree 100%; as you guys have probably noticed, I wear bright colors often enough, but she has a point that shouldn't be ignored.

Black lets the emphasis be on the texture of the fabric, which like you're talking about with Parker, if done correctly (ie not clean/sharp), can be far more interesting than just a unique color on an otherwise uninteresting fabric.

11. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I predict that pendulum will swing firmly back the other way after this buzz of skinny pants. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

12. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yes, they'll be an option for an unfinished hem for anyone who isn't sure of their inseam length or wants to have a cuff put into their trousers (we unfortunately can only offer plain hem's at the moment)

But any hem usually has an extra inch that it can be let down if need be.

Yes, we're going to introduce about 6-8 new fabrics this season and all will be available for Rivet MTO's. I've also got a small (10 fabrics or so) factory finds round to put up in a week or so.

B. Nelson all of the way. That is the sole cobber (ha, see what I did there!) who we recommend. And the only cobbler who all of us use. Be sure to mention that you're a Styleforum member when you send in something for work.

Yes, and yes to oxford cloth chinos.

And for Ash Twill, drop me an email with your name and size. I'm not sure how much cloth we have left, but chances are we could make a single unit for you. There's usually a good amount left after any production run.

I'm really enjoying the "black" debate. It's fascinating to see where you guys stand.

When it comes to designing EPLA/EPNY, I'm planning to approach black from three directions:

EPNY
    When I bought for Saks back in '99-'01, black was far and away the dominant color that we sold from European brands. We stocked black trousers, jackes, suits, and shoes from the likes of Prada, Gucci, D&G, Comme Des Garcons, even Zegna. I owned something like five black suits and wore them all of the time. I think that the "d-bag club goer/security guard/mortician" crowd is taking a page from this long-standing look, and it's younger, and more trendy than the Pitti, #menswear style.

I'm planning to work black into our existing pieces as a fresh option for navy. Our best selling winter trouser, every year, is oxford grey flannel. It's very typical for our guys (and me) to wear it with a navy coat and brown shoes. But it can look equally sharp with a black jacket and black shoes. By keeping the style understated and offering the same high-quality pieces then we can channel some of that 60's beatnik/beatles look with a little bit of late 90's Helmut Lang and Jil Sander. As much as I love our Bartlett black motorcycle jacket worn full Marlon Brando style, it would also be extremely sharp with grey jeans, black Vass brogues and a black crewneck sweater.

EPLA
    I spend a lot of time here in the garment district and hanging out with mid-20's dudes in the fashion industry. They wear WAY more black than anyone in New York and you see it throughout their garments. Black tees, black hoodies, black jeans, black sneakers and shoes. Black hats. Black cars. It ranges from the really directional black pieces like Parker's look, and Rick Owens to hip hop things that Kanye or A$AP Rocky would wear to Rockabilly stuff, to 80's Suicidal Tendencies/Black Flag kind of looks.

Our EPLA line will be more of a group of key items than an actual collection. I want to utilize the best production capabilities of this city, and those are things like jeans, hoodies, denim pieces, casual jackets, and knits. When we make these items, we'll plan to offer black or overdyed black as an option throughout so that our customers can integrate the pieces however they see fit. When you have the ability to wash and distress things, then black can take on a lot of different shades, and run the gamut from a powerful jet black to a sun-faded nearly grey tone.

FOOTWEAR
    We're going to invest in making some interesting footwear in black this year too. We'll bring it in from Vass, Carmina, and Alden, and we'll also produce a Sport Trainer in black.

13. Epaulet

It will be interesting. I still think that slim-straight trousers are the most flattering look on most guys, and I've been of that opinion for about 15 years. We're going to do some patternwork on a single pleat walt which we can offer as an MTO option as well.

Many of the MTO fabrics will be things that we've made in the past or currently stock so you'll be able to see those made up. Everything else will be a swatch until someone orders it. That's pretty much the deal for everything that we offer via MTO. I definitely recognize the utility of showing an actual garment, so if you ever see just a swatch online, then it's because that's all we have.

That said, every trouser will pass through our hands for inspection before being shipped to the customer, so we'll try to photograph every new fabric and show it made up for future customers. We're also always happy to take an email or a phone call with any specific questions. I don't take no mess when it comes to fabrics, so you can trust that we'll only present quality goods.

You're going to absolutely love it! We should have it in the next 3 weeks or so. We're doing something like 50 units of both the Western and the Engineer in this light wash, so they'll be plenty to go around for the initial launch.

14. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Mike, great to hear about your direction this year! But hold on, did you say black Vass and Carmina models!?? Bring it on! Remember black Vass boot makeup I proposed in your Vass thread? ;)

15. Epaulet

And got some more preview shots. The denim jacket is in work right now, but here's some snowy pics of the sample on Dylan...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And BTW, Dylan has a very long torso, is over six feet, and is wearing a medium. It looks a little cropped on him because of his proportions, but it's very much a normal length in the body.