Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Yep, instep was too high and heel was a little sloppy. My main issue is that Carmina doesn't make narrow widths, and sizing down just made the shoes too small in the toebox.
    I ended up buying some of the UK tweed Rudys that I'm probably going to sell because I live in FL and there's realistically only a couple days out of the entire year that I'll get to wear them. That was one of those "they look so cool that I don't care if I'll ever have a chance to wear them" purchases that didn't turn out too well. They're pretty heavy, definitely heavier than any other flannel trouser I own. I used to live in the Baltimore/DC area a few years ago and they would have been perfect for the winters there.

2. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Not to add more fuel to the fire, but I had the same issue. Usually after topying or a month or two of wear they suddenly became extremely comfortable and conformed to my feet. Not sure why. Some take far longer than others too. Dainite I found only takes about four wears where as leather soled are upwards of ten or fifteen. Suede pairs only about two where as non Suede is fifteen minimum.

EDIT: Just saw your post. My feet tend to be wider, so it seems we had opposite problems.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  3. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

The tweed is more open-weave than the flannel, so it wears a little cooler. I'm in Seattle and they're a solid Oct-April trouser - say 50-55 or below.

4. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Beatlegeuse

I thought you had trouble because you wanted wider widths. If you're looking for narrow widths, the Simpson is narrow.

5. applky

applky Senior member

Beatlegeuse a Forest-lasted boot (not shoe, though) might work for you. I have the same issue with the Alden Barrie last -- a tad wide for me for shoes, but great on a boot. Simpson as JezeC says is also slimmer, but has a chisel toe; you'd have to be into that.

IME any tweed would work in DC. As nathanl said tweed breathes more easily than flannel.

Another thing to do is to go through every tweed and read the descriptions. Some will be described as shetlands and some as donegals. The shetlands will be warmer than the donegals, so if you're worried about them being too warm, go with the donegals. I have the UK Navy and UK Ironwood donegal tweeds and wear them all the time. Salt and Pepper donegal would be good if you're looking for something grey-toned (I passed on those, as I have grey covered with other Walts).

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Proud new papa post! Baby Sloane
    [​IMG]

And some chocolate ripstops in the recovery room :)
    [​IMG]

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ thanks for the Forest last suggestion, I'll have to try a boot in that at some point. I have the same issue with the Barrie - I go for narrow widths in a Barrie shoe but a boot usually fits better (although a C width boot is ideal). I've tried the Simpson as well, like you said it's very chiseled, too much so for my tastes.

EDIT - congrats Ryden!

8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

Awesome!!! Congrats.

9. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

Congrats rydenfan. This is the beginning of many sleepless nights.

On the Carmina last topic, which last is relatively wider than the Rain last? I bought a pair of Carmina in Rain last from Epaulet. Size 7.5. The length is good but a bit wider would be better.

10. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

My Inca DM is the MOST comfortable last from Carmina. Probably my favorite last as well.

11. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

Congrats!

12. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

13. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

@rydenfan Congratulations and best to the whole of the family.

14. Don L

Don L Senior member

Much Congrats @rydenfan

15. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member