Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

My pleasure!

Steep Twills are a lot heavier and warmer. They're nearly double in thickness. It's a brilliant fabric for cold days, but the cords will give you a longer wearing season. The cotton-cash ones are the lightest, and you could probably wear those straight through the Springtime.

And yes, we can absolutely cut a matching jacket for most of these cords. To throw out a price, we'd be looking at $695 for a jacket in closeout cords, $795 in the UK blue and orange, and $895 in the cotton-cash.

Wow. You're really giving me an idea here. Making a cotton-corduroy suit might be the greatest corduroy suit of all time. I'm going to have to think about that one.

2. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Isn't scotch grain/hatch grain still normal leather that is just imprinted with a pattern? Why would it be more water/salt resistant?

3. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

Do it! Corduroy suits are fantastically awesome, and far more versatile than I think they get credit for. I want a whole closet of them.

4. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Is it just me and the Balvenie that is keeping me company (and my trusty rescue pup Chaya) or is the description of the premium cords a bit confusing? Mike! I want the ones that are tan/moss/taupe and not blue with the order I just placed. Sent email to the shop stating such but thought I would throw it up here as well to cover my bases...actually, it's probably just me being a bit jet lagged :)

5. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

New denim look awesome. Haven't been wearing much denim lately so will probably give these a try.

Have you ever considered doing some sort of waxed outerwear? I remember the vanson piece you had but would love to see Epaulet's take on a field/cruiser type piece.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

6. Epaulet

It might be possible in the future. We ran a few seasons of that Vanson jacket and it started out strong, but kind of fizzled towards the end. But I'm personally a big fan of it. If we can find a manufacturer who's really pushing things forward then it could be on the board.

Ah, you're totally right - I'm going to go in and label those colors. I'll shoot you an email back shortly. Thanks for the order!

You're right, I should have qualified that more. The name "Scotchgrain" really just refers to the pebbled leather texture, which by itself is not necessarily any tougher or more water-resistant.

In particular, I'm speaking about the French Scotchgrain that we're using with Vass and Carmina. Alden's Alpine Grain is very similar to this as well. These leathers start as a fairly tough cowhide, which most likely comes from an older animal and has its share of scratches and surface imperfections. You see these marks in Chromexcel. Part of the idea of all-over embossing is to camouflage these cosmetic blips. After the embossing, the leather is given a very strong top finish, which results in the shine that you see on a typical scotchgrain shoe. The quality of the underlying leather now means a lot in the overall feel. Cheap scotchgrain will feel very plasticky, almost like a patent leather. Better quality scotchgrain will still have that shiny, hard finish, but should wear in nearly and soften up.

But you'll see when you wear them - shoes and boots made in higher-end scotchgrain need very little care. Water, salt, snow, and crap either rolls off or is easily wiped off. You'll never see Scotchgrain age or show an incredible patina though, and that's part of the tradeoff. But for something easy that you don't have to stress about in lousy weather, it cannot be beat. It took me SO long to get a pair of Scotchgrain shoes with Rubber Soles, and I never looked back after that.

7. bbri06

bbri06 Member

This has probably been asked quite a few times, but I can't seem to find it. If I wear a size 34 in rivets, what size should I grab in rudys?

8. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

so mike, this group buy you are offering now is essentially the perfect foul weather boot?
    http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...nd-burnished-scotch-grain-jumper-boot-deposit

also how would the kudu antelope work in salt,snow,etc?

last question, if im a 9.5 in rain, im the same in oscar right? i think i read that somewhere but cant find it right now. Thanks!

9. Epaulet

I'd suggest a 34 there as well. The waist is physically a bit bigger due to the constructed waistband on the Walt/Rudy, but the resulting fit at the top is fairly similar.

Ah good question! So, this "Hand-Burnished" Scotchgrain is a little bit different than the other Scotchgrain.

This one is a calfskin - not a cowhide - that's stamped for an effect and not given that hard finish. It won't be quite as tough as the other Scotchgrains but it's certainly tougher than calfskin. But it's softer and it will age nicely. I'd use something like Sno-Seal or Pecards on it and with that, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it in the snow and rain. The fact that it's a dark brown means a lot in resisting stains. It's going to be a great boot!

The Kudu is not naturally stain resistant. I was just PM'ing with another customer about this yesterday. With that leather, you'd want to fully condition it with Sno-Seal before you wear it in extended wet conditions. This is easy to do. What will happen is that the color is going to radically darken - almost to a medium-light brown. The color will darken with wear regardless, but this is going to accelerate things. After you treat it, the boot will be very weather-proof.

The Scotchgrain boot is going to be awesome, and it's the brainchild of our very own stmaier! I can't recommend this makeup enough - that hand-burnished leather is gorgeous.

10. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

thanks for the thorough reply mike.

so anything that is scotch grain but doesn't say "hand burnished" we can assume is cowhide from the current shoe/boot offerings?

11. superfuji57

superfuji57 New Member

whoops delete

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

12. superfuji57

superfuji57 New Member

$250 is probably a good price, but I'm happy with my EP parka. The overall feel of the jacket is more solid than the JCrew version and it's kept me warm in the recent NYC snow with not much layering, though I'd say it's a notch lower in warmth than my buddy's Fjallraven - but i think he said that one was about $600.

13. dupedd

dupedd Well-Known Member

Cold and snowy today in Brooklyn. I busted out my toughest/warmest pant/boot combo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chessboard tweed walts
    C&J Pebble grain w/ Dainite sole
    Rugby RL "shaggy dog"
    Epaulet Lavender OCBD (not seen)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Yeah, Mike, I think I'm getting this but to be sure...

- The black WWII jumper boot in black scotchgrain is the cowhide version with the hard finish, correct?

- The open MTO that's the dark brown scotchgrain is the calf version that's hand-burnished?

- The MTO of the WWII jumper boot in dark caramel scotchgrain (that I'm waiting on, hopefully soon) is of the hand-burnished calf version, correct?

- And do you think the dark caramel scotchgrain will age/patina well?

Thanks!

15. Epaulet

Awesome! Chessboard in the Wild!
    Yes, that's correct. "Hand-Burnished" is the only calfskin scotchgrain that we offer. Black WWII Jumper Boot is in the traditional weather-resistant "hard" finish. WWII Jumper in Dark Caramel is hand-burnished calf. It's going to age beautifully. And it's still pretty tough, so you shouldn't be afraid to wear it in harsh weather. You'll just need to condition and care for it a bit, while you can totally neglect most scotchgrain. And yes, I'd advise the same size in both the Rain and the Oscar. Most guys would take that.