Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. zinc2162

zinc2162 Senior member

My wife has been asking me how many pairs of pants do I really need and she doesn't know there are two in the mail. But these pics might just add one more to her surprises...

2. joshg8

joshg8 Well-Known Member

In for the Boggy Marl in Rudy fit. My first go at the trousers. 34 rivets fit me well if only a touch large where they sit and 33 rivets are a tad tight at the waist/seat initially and too slim at the thigh for trousers, but good for chinos. Seems like 33 in Rudy would be good with the higher rise and full seat/hip/thigh area?

3. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:Awesome Mike. I'm in for a pair. Since these are flannels, are they cut similar to the other flannels such as the nightshades? I asked this because the nightshades were a tad roomier in the thigh and leg area than my S120s walts even though they were bought in the same size. If they are indeed cut similar to the other heavier fabrics and not the lighter fabrics, I will size down one and just let out the waist. Thanks.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

Thanks, will see if I can stop by this weekend, are you open on Sundays now?

Thinking to do the same, my walts always are a pinch tight and I'm super fat now

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

5. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

Epaulet,

Is there a fitpic of the boggy marl trousers somewhere? It's so hard to extrapolate a close-up online swatch into visualizing real world pants.

6. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

EPDenim @$150 = IN. That is a fantastic pricepoint.

7. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Hi Mike, is the chessboard tweed railroaded (i.e., is the swatch showing us how it comes off the roll)?
    It loots pretty cool.

Thanks!

8. Epaulet

Epaulet Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Yup, we are officially open on Sundays from 12-5. Adele will be here that day.

Unfortunately no. When it comes to special order swatches - especially limited stock close-outs like this - we never have a sample when it's first presented. If we have enough stock (like in the Mink-Cash-Wool fabrics) then we'll add in fit pictures down the line. But closeout items at a discount typically sell out well before that happens.

Yes it is. The white yarn comes through as a series of small vertical points. I can't say enough good things about this fabric, it's really exceptional

9. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

Mike,

Any chance you can get more of this fabric in? I'd definitely order trousers if so.

[​IMG]

10. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Thumb Raider

Am I the only one who got the brilliance of this?

It is both (1) a picture of "GONZO" and (2) he's holding a camera.

I MEAN, COME ON!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

12. Epaulet

Ah unfortunately no. The legendary "Autumn Speckle Tweed!" Quite a few of the guys here had Rivet Chinos made in that. This particular fabric is a good example of how the special order program works. It was a pricey blend that we bought off price and offered up for special orders. Killer fabric, great price. It sold out completely before a single finished unit came out of the factory. And we'll most likely never have access to it - at least at that price - again. It's certainly difficult ordering from a swatch, but we're always happy to answer whatever questions that we can on the different fabrics. And I personally choose each fabric that we present. I'm a pretty tough judge of quality, so you can trust that everything has been properly vetted before it goes online.
    THANK YOU! I spent something like 10 minutes looking for the perfect image to show how thrilled we are at all of the contest entries. That came up in the google search for "muppet surprised" and I knew that it was the one.

13. Epaulet

Salt Stains and Shell Cordovan

Hey guys, Tricky reminded me that I never responded to this. I've worn both shell and calf through many a winter, so I can speak to my personal experiences.

Shell Cordovan is an extremely durable leather. It wears for years and is fully capable of taking a beating. And when you show it some TLC, it can shine up to a gorgeous finish. For me, this is the main difference between Shell and an everyday tough cowhide. Shell can be polished and conditioned to something like 80% or more of its original finish, even after serious neglect. Tough workboot leather ages and looks cool doing so, but it never comes close to looking "new" again.

That said, I find that Shell requires more daily maintenance than calfskin to keep its good looks. It's common for shell to show spotting after being worn in the rain. It's easy to scratch the leather - and the scratches are more visible against its glossy finish. I find myself using Renovateur on my shell shoes after every few wears, while I might do that once a month for calf shoes. The good news is, a bit of Renovateur generally takes quick care of all these issues and can even fill in moderately deep scratches.

So, regarding Salt Stains. If the weather is really lousy, then I'll generally try not to wear any of my shell or calf shoes. That's where a scotchgrain shoe with a rubber commando sole really shines. Or Bean / Indy / 1000 Mile boots in the more casual vein. But if I have to wear shell and I get salt stains, I'll generally:

1) Use a light application of saddle soap on a lightly moist soft cloth. A little soap goes a long way, so don't overdo it.

2) Fully clean the shoes and remove any salt that you see

3) Let them dry fully

4) Work Saphir Renovateur into the leather. Take a dab of reno and be sure to spread it out on a cloth before it touches the shoe. It's a really thick substance, so if you dab it onto the leather directly then it can leave a mark where it touches. Spread it evenly on the cloth and rub it in with large circular strokes (sorry, that sounds bad, but I have to talk about rubbing and strokes when you're polishing shoes. I'm not trying to be cheeky)

5) Check the shoes after the application. If the color looks inconsistent, which could be the case on lighter shells like Saddle, then use a colored wax to even things out and bring the shoe up to a full shine. I generally use Saphir and Meltonian.

6) If it still looks stained, then don't despair! This is what cobblers are for. They've got skills and products above that of an ordinary man. Bring it to a local cobbler and stress that you want to clean and finish it with a neutral product. Stress that this is HORSE LEATHER. Not every local shoe repair place knows what shell cordovan really is. I've had to do this in the past and I've always come back with a good result.

This is just my personal advice, and I'm sure that there are other guys on here who are more experienced with wearing and cleaning shell. But it's served me well so far.

14. tricky

tricky Senior member

Whoa detailed response. Thanks a lot Mike!!!

15. thirdman

thirdman Senior member

The new cords look great. I'd been thinking about picking up a pair of the steep twills, could you compare the two? Which is heavier/lighter, which has a finer/thicker whale? Also would any of the cords be available as matching jackets?

Thanks!