• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Tricky - how'd you get that "skinnier" fit on your Ducks?  Did you size down?  I wear a 32 in Walts, but the Ducks at 32 seem baggy.

I wear a 33 in both but also have the waist taken in on most. For my rivet ducks I leave the waist as is and just belt them.

They are only ever cold washed and hung to dry as well.

Irish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the cognac trainers getting restocked? The gap there from 11 to 12.5 US is just taunting me.

Last edited:

Todd V

Reaction score
Hey guys,

How slim are your wearing the new UK Sheltand tweeds? I found that the heavy, heavy fabrics make up quite a bit "bigger" than the typical wool (e.g., 120's) yet the waist ends up measuring quite a bit smaller. So... I'm in a 32 but will have to take up the crotch and then taper the legs a little. Is that better/worse/same as going a size down and letting out a seat and waist by 1+ inch? My thinking is that a fabric this heavy needs to fit a little looser else you can't move in them.

I'll guess I'll take 'em to my tailor this weekend and doubt I'll have 'em back in time for the contest. :(

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
The heavier fabrics are definitely cut a bit bigger than the 120s. My waist measurements were similar in both cuts, but I had to taper the thigh area on my flannel to replicate the walt measurements. I'm not sure if this is the proper way, but I plan to size down and just open up the waist one inch for heavier fabrics. FYI - it's only cut slightly bigger.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You just described me. One of the few folks in L.A. with top/overcoats. When it's in the 40s C here, it is blizzard status. Lol.

Hey, 40s is a legitimate coat temperature. And might as well put on a coat with some style, right? :slayer:

Dirty Gurty

Reaction score
I wish I wouldn't have slept on those antelope boots! If anyone has a pair in size 10 that they're not happy with get at me, I'll gladly take them off your hands.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Ok, two things:

1. 50 degrees F is COLD.
cold[1].gif
I break out the Stark or a jacket or something when it dips below 70.

2. It's 90 degrees F in Woodland Hills today (where my office is). I would kill for some "weather" right about now. Jealous of you guys that are able to wear more interesting clothing...

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At 50 F we think about putting away the shorts
smile.gif

28 F this morning in MA. Brought out the Stark

Last edited:

vedarcrew

Reaction score
Three Quick Points:

Got three quick things to run by you:

1. Fall Contest
Next week we're going to launch a joint Styleforum/Reddit Fall Fit contest. The jist will be: post a picture of a fit with at least one item purchased after Sept 1st (special order Carminas, suiting MTO's that were pre-ordered in the Summer and delivered in the Fall count too). First prize chosen by votes: your choice of VASS stock shoe! Second price chosen by random drawing: your choice of Cashmere Scarf or Epaulet Wallet.

2. Secret Santa
Would you guys be down for this? We'd make a list of participants. Matt's going to match you up into secret santas. Spending limit is $20. The item that you buy should be somehow artisanal and related to your hometown. It doesn't have to be menswear. The goal here is to surprise someone with something really cool!

3. Wool-Mink-Cashmere Sienna Brown Extra Fabric
I got my hands on another 30 yards of the brown wool-mink-cash. We could offer 15 more trousers, or I can offer MTO sportcoats at $900 a pop. I'd prefer to offer sportcoats first so that anyone interested can make a "suit of legend"

Seriously. I can't even imagine how boss a suit would be in this cloth. Delivery may come after the holidays though, as Southwick moves a little slow when you send them fabric. But we'd try our best to get the jackets to you by mid-Dec.

If anyone's interested then please let me know by posting here.

Very cool contest Mike! I'm curious what a suit made of the brown wool-mink-cash would look like. Too soft on the materials? I'm interested either way (even though I still have 3 jackets MTO still on the way)

aldenwear

Reaction score
Ok, two things:

1. 50 degrees F is COLD.
cold[1].gif
I break out the Stark or a jacket or something when it dips below 70.

2. It's 90 degrees F in Woodland Hills today (where my office is). I would kill for some "weather" right about now. Jealous of you guys that are able to wear more interesting clothing...
Here in flyover land, 50 degrees F is when you put on a sweater or sweatshirt to ward off the chill while still wearing shorts.

But, of course, 50 degrees is a distant memory now. And this post is really inconsiderate now that here we are only beginning the four-five-month slog known as snot-pouring-then-freezing-on-your-upper-left-as-you-walk-from-the-train-to-work season. You really should not be "killing" to be part of this, but counting your blessings that you live where you could walk around bare-ass-naked almost 365 days per year if you wanted to.

Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to rustle anyone's jimmies. My point is just that the year-round heat & sunshine gets a bit monotonous after awhile. People who relocate to LA from elsewhere seem to really enjoy it at first but a couple years in start to miss having actual seasons. I grew up in Northern California, which is similar to LA with only a slightly colder and rainier winter, so this kind of weather is what I've had nearly my whole life. My parents are from the midwest though, and while overall they enjoy the CA climate, growing up I noticed their homesickness was always worst around Fall. Everywhere else the temperature is dropping and the leaves are changing color, but in CA, summer is just dragging on and on and there are no signs of change. The holidays are approaching and you want to get into that mindset but it's hard to think about drinking egg nog on an 80 degree day, for instance. So, I think a bit of change is nice. But the grass is always greener, I guess.

Last edited:

stlms3

Reaction score
I live in the Midwest and have family in manhattan beach ca. The weather is perfect there; some love it but it is not for me. I love the seasons and the changes in temp... I have always felt this was.

The ocean is a beautiful thing though, but I guess I can't have it all :(

kumizi

Reaction score
anyone purchase the shirt jacket?

kinda worried it might be too long for my liking (5'9" and size L)

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Quote:
The heavier fabrics are definitely cut a bit bigger than the 120s. My waist measurements were similar in both cuts, but I had to taper the thigh area on my flannel to replicate the walt measurements. I'm not sure if this is the proper way, but I plan to size down and just open up the waist one inch for heavier fabrics. FYI - it's only cut slightly bigger.
I've found the tweeds and flannels are indeed cut bigger. If I went back, I think I would have gone a size down for the heavier pants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads