Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. wakawaka

wakawaka Well-Known Member

Guys, would you help me with these two things?

1. Is dry cleaning the only way to prevent shirt shrinkage? I'm afraid that my only Epaulet medium will be too tight after a wash, since it's really snug on me already. I also have a large one, which was too big before the wash (too long to wear untucked for sure), but now is pretty much ok. Still rather long though, but I think Epaulet shirts are longer than – let's say – Gitman shirts.

2. If I ever get enough money for an Epaulet sportcoat, should I aim for 38 or for 40? Does the site's sizing advice (medium shirt = 38 sportcoat) apply to shirts before or after the wash? Having some very tiny experience with Epaulet shirts now, I'm thinking that a sportcoat size 40 would be too long, as at 170 cm (or 5 feet 7 inches, using your heathenish metric system :) I'm a pretty short dude.

2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Quote:1) I don't notice any shrinkage with my shirts if I just cold wash / line dry 2) Shoot Matt a pm. He's spot on when it comes to sizing.

3. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

1. I find that most fabrics shrink at least a little bit after a cold wash and hang dry. I can wear Epaulet mediums but they feel a bit tight in the chest. I now have all Epaulet larges. If a particular shirt feels bigger than the usual large, I wash and throw it in the dryer before the first wear and it usually ends up being good for me. 2. I've bought several Epaulet sport coats in size 40 and have not needed any tailoring other than to shorten the sleeves on a couple of Napolis (the lack of shoulder pads on the Napoli results in longer sleeves when worn for me). I did get a Factory Find Napoli in size 39, but it didn't really feel much different than the size 40s I have. I felt the length is of the jackets to be fine for me (I'm 5'9"), but you'll have to use the measurements online to figure out if it's too long for you.

4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Couple of recent fits all in the same family:
    Epaulet Blue OCPC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's the navy denim work shirt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mr Clemson

Mr Clemson Senior member

Looking sharp as always NYI.

6. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

second shirt-tie combo looks like lumberjack regis philbin

7. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Another shrinkage question, this one about polos. I have two new luchinos in medium, and the fit is spot on....but very close to being a little bit tight. If they don't shrink at all, I'll be fine. But if they shrink even a little bit, I think they'll be too tight. I don't plan on putting these in the dryer ever. Will I be safe with a gentle cycle cold wash and hang dry?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

8. tricky

tricky Senior member

Interesting...I've had a few that were borderline too but they shrunk a bit after a cold wash and hang dry and ironed/steamed.

Maybe for those of us borderline, dry cleaning is the solution.

9. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Speaking of steam...are you fellows steaming your dress shirts every morning or do you still have to iron those?

10. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

^^ I iron my dress shirts and steam casual shirts. I've found that I need the iron to make collars and cuffs look right on the dress shirts.

11. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Steaming doesn't give dress shirts a crease on the sleeves. I steam my casual shirts though.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013

12. tricky

tricky Senior member

Same here...for crisp shirts and collars it's still the iron. But steaming is great for casual ones...and for pants without a crease. And steaming is amazing for removing wrinkles from sport coats.

13. dlm4114

dlm4114 Senior member

Mike, this is just an A++ visual:

"You could ride through the LES on a penny farthing bicycle with a monocle and a pith helmet and not stand out too much."

The pith helmet took it over the top for me, brilliant. Also, re: DDL and shoemaking, don't feel bad if he knew more than you. I remember reading that he took 5+ years off after one of his 90s movies (The Boxer maybe?) and literally apprenticed with a shoemaker in Florence. I believe he's also a professional-quality woodworker.

Can anyone speak to how much fuller the Rudy is than the Walt? The Walt is too slim for me, but basically only in the butt. I am thisclose to pulling the trigger on a pair of the brown cashminks but am a bit worried about the fit. Thanks!

14. calidist

calidist Senior member

+1 for Rudy denim and generally just more Rudy anything.

15. adamha21

adamha21 Senior member

The Harris Tweed overcoat is sick!