• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just generally, pebble grain also starts rather plastic-y looking and once broken in gets a little more dull and sutble.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Question on the carmina pebble grain shoes, the grain structure on the pictures looks really prominent, almost like a lizard skin. Does that make it a bit more difficult to wear in more formal situations? What are your thoughts guys?

That pebble grain makes it  a more casual plain toe blucher.  I would wear it with casual clothes (chinos, corduroy) all the way up to business casual -- sport coat and slacks.   Would not wear it with a suit - unless something like a tweed suit -- ie. suit equivalent of sport coat and slacks.  

Totally agree with aldenwear on that response.

If you live someplace with a lot of rain, then this shoe has another big selling point. The combo of scotchgrain and the York sole was intended to make a solid foul-weather shoe. Scotchgrain is great with rain and snow - especially if you coat it with something like Nano Protector - and the combo rubber sole will give you a strong grip.

I asked myself this question and I couldn't answer it, so I bought the sweater. It appeared to be the last one. Also grabbed the short sleeve tartan linen shirt. I've been eyeing that one all summer but couldn't quite pull the trigger. The sale made the decision easy and I'm happy to stash it until next spring/summer. :D

Thank you! And I'm not sure if I'm the only one who does this, but I love short sleeve shirts in the winter as layering pieces. If I'm going to keep on a sweater, I'll sometimes wear a short sleeve under it to be a little cooler while layered. This is a linen shirt, but it has a very Fall-friendly color scheme.

Hello All,

My first post on style forum.  I am interested in a few things from epaulet.  
Can anyone tell me about the navy duck canvas blazer? How does it compare to a hopsack fabric in look/color/texture? How does the color hold up over time? Is it stiff? Machine wash or dry clean? Does it need to be washed regularly or can you get a few wears out of it before cleaning? Are the sleeve buttons working?
Also, interested in the rivet chino.  Looking for a new pair of navy pants but do not know whether to go for the duck canvas or not.  

Neither item would be used for business dress, more along the lines of dressing up a casual outfit for the jacket and the pants go the same way.  
Also, how heavy is the fabric? I live in Louisiana and it is pretty hot.  Thank you for any help.

Sure thing, let me hit your questions...

1) It has a similar plain weave texture to hopsack, but a bigger, thicker fabric. This doesn't necessarily mean that it's hotter, as duck canvas has a very breathable open weave. I'd say that it's good for year-round wear.
2) It is dry clean only. The fabric would be fine if you washed it, but you could damage the canvassing inside. You certainly can wear a lot between dry cleaning. I wouldn't really dry clean it unless I spilled something on it. Many guys would only clean it once or twice a season.
3) It's got a nice hand. Like most cotton sportcoats, it's got a sturdy feel, but it's not coarse or uncomfortable. You generally need to use a thicker/stronger cotton to make a sportcoat, otherwise you'd see all of the interior construction through it.
4) Sleeve buttons are not working so that the sleeve can be easily raised or lowered. But they can be easily made into working buttons by a tailor.

Apologies if this has bee covered and I missed it, but any word on when the MTO Super 120s suiting might be going up? My wallet's open and trigger finger's itching. :D

Got it for early next week. There's GREAT stuff here. Really good prices too.

SouthNarc

Reaction score

Hello All,

My first post on style forum.  I am interested in a few things from epaulet.  
Can anyone tell me about the navy duck canvas blazer? How does it compare to a hopsack fabric in look/color/texture? How does the color hold up over time? Is it stiff? Machine wash or dry clean? Does it need to be washed regularly or can you get a few wears out of it before cleaning? Are the sleeve buttons working?
Also, interested in the rivet chino.  Looking for a new pair of navy pants but do not know whether to go for the duck canvas or not.  

Neither item would be used for business dress, more along the lines of dressing up a casual outfit for the jacket and the pants go the same way.  
Also, how heavy is the fabric? I live in Louisiana and it is pretty hot.  Thank you for any help.

Get the navy tone on tone seersucker. Got to look at it in person while iin NYC about three weeks ago and it's super lightweight. Looks great too.

thirdman

Reaction score
Mike, have you ever asked Southwick about offering shoulder slope options for MTO jackets, ie sloped, flat, normal? I know it's probably not a small tweak, and might involve an upcharge, but it's usually tricky and expensive to get done after the fact so it might still be appealing for people who need it. Plus, the MTO options have gotten to be so flexible that it's just about the only thing left between my weirdly proportioned body and a perfect fit :)

Last edited:

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Get the navy tone on tone seersucker. Got to look at it in person while iin NYC about three weeks ago and it's super lightweight. Looks great too.

Yeah, if you don't need a "true" navy blazer that can be dressed up for whatever events require that sort of thing, the seersucker piece is so dope. I tried it on in NYC in the spring. If I could afford a bunch of sport coats, that one would for sure be in the mix.

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone has an action shot of the Carmina pebble grain, or a well worn one
smile.gif

James has had his pair since January. I grabbed a couple of iPhone photos today:

asaa1000

Reaction score
That's all I wanted to see, ordered... Sigh, you guys aren't making it easy for me to save up for that Vass Austerity Brogue! Btw, is the Vass Austerity brogue going to be a stock item, or just an one off thing...

Mrk200

Reaction score
Do you plan on offering any cotton Walts in olive for the fall?

stlms3

Reaction score
Mike, how dressy is the caine admiral flannel blazer? Does it work fine for biz. cas.? Will it work ok with heavier chinos, or wool pants only? I am covered either way, but I am kinda looking for an all purpose (except jeans) winter blazer. Thanks!

stlms3

Reaction score
No, I guess the post was not terribly clear, but I didn't know if it was too dressy... Like I wouldn't wear my weller navy 120 to work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads