• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flatspotting

Reaction score
Thank you! I was a little worried when you said the online order form woul only have a standard 38" unfinished inseam. Can't wait to get these new windowpanes!

Mind if I ask how tall you are, that's quite the inseam!

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone have experience with the charred forest? the website picture makes it look charcoal and the green only comes out in the super magnification, is the green/gold texture visible in real life, and would your recommend it?

They are outrageously amazing. Definitely a dark green in person with some great color variegation that you can see in the close up.

I sound like a broken record, but people have been asking about basically my three favorite Walts in quick succession (navy lambswool, ironwood tweed, and charred forrest flannel) so I'm bound to be enthusiastic.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

OK, I have to return to the topic of the tweed sport coats. We have a number of options with these, but my first thought is that these heavier tweeds almost have to be fully lined, with a little structure in the shoulder. Patch pockets will be best, and probably with flaps. In many cases, elbow patches will be a nice touch. With heavy tweed I think you want to go with horn buttons. So despite having other options, I think the Epaulet "Daltrey" style will often prevail.

Regarding the elbow patches: we have three choices, tan suede, chocolate suede, and self. Is the tan suede the same as the goat suede that has been offered in the past? This is a nice fabric.

I am still looking at the oatmeal Donegal, although the rusty violet herringbone also looks good. The oatmeal looks like the kind of SC you could wear almost all the time, as a default. I think I would get the oatmeal with either no elbow patches or the chocolate suede. But the rusty violet has more interesting colours. For those who have seen the fabric, does it read as a mostly brown fabric?

I'd be curious to hear what others are thinking.

Good call - here's my thoughts:

Lining: with Harris Tweed, I'd definitely advise a full liner. Lighter tweeds can make up nicely with the 3/8 liner, but something really thick like Harris will be more comfortable with the full lining.

Shoulder: you could do either shoulder on this, and it won't make a huge difference visually. Since the fabric is so heavy, it tends to stand on its own quite a bit. However, most guys prefer the structured shoulder, it seems to jive best with a Harris Tweed jacket.

Pockets: Flaps will make it more of an outerwear piece. I've seen a few open patch heavyweight tweed jackets too, and it's a really cool look. Just depends on your preference.

Buttons: Horn is pretty traditional and timeless here. I'm a sucker for Smoke MOP, but that would most likely work best with lighter and bolder colors (like Oatmeal Donegal or Rust-Violet).

Patches: Love them with Harris Tweed. The Tan suede is the same quality of goat suede that we've always used.

Oatmeal vs Rust: Good question here. I'd actually vote the Rust to be a bit more wearable there, simply because it can be easily matched to brown and tan trousers in addition to the usual suspects (grey, navy, denim). Oatmeal is going to look a little repetitive with most tan or brown-ish trousers, although it would be really boss with shades of olives. Depends mostly on your trouser assortment (although I know that Simplicio has pretty much all of the trouser bases covered :)). If both of them make equal sense in your wardrobe, then I'd have to recommend Rust-Violet. It's freaking fantastic. The color knocked all of us out from the second that we saw it.

Mike -- Any idea when the next factory find trousers will be??

We don't have anything on the horizon for that, unfortunately. The trouser fabric train has been a little barren lately. However, we'll have those great MTO Rivet options this week, and we'll roll out the main Walt delivery a few weeks from now.

id love to see more pics of the sport trainer if anyone has fitpics

Paging leftofthedial and james_ep on this!

I'm looking to get some moleskin trousers for fall, would it be better for me to wait for you to build out the Rudy options in the store, or should I do an e-mail order?

Also, do you know the weight of your moleskin fabric?

The Moleskin is 12oz. We've got the same colors as last year - Olive, Tan, and Navy. I'd say to shoot us an email if you'd like to do it now. We probably won't have that layered into the Rudy special item for a bit.

hey mike
what would the windowpane jacket look like ? SB or DB.
any way to see?

Good question, I still haven't seen them myself. :embar:

I'm sure that we'll have them online in a day or two.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mind if I ask how tall you are, that's quite the inseam! 

I'm 6'4", and my usual inseam is somewhere around 34", but if I want a full 2" cuff a 38" inseam isn't quite long enough, so
I always need a little extra length. 39"
is OK but I like to get 40" just to be safe.

Last edited:

mothball

Reaction score
I think the purple melange shirt is my favorite from last season:

I just started pulling out my winter Walts, and they're a bit tighter than I remember. I may be banning ice cream from the house.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any idea when other fabrics will show on the Rudy orders?

If there's a Walt fabric that's not on the Rudy pre-order page and you don't feel like waiting, it's probably best to just email and get a one-off pair made. I've done that a number of times with quick results, most recently with the dove grey hopsack.

These actually should have been shipped to me last week, but I was in the middle of moving into a new house, and I just filled out my change of address form with USPS right as they were being shipped. Now they're stuck in the purgatory that is USPS forwarding! Hopefully they show up sometime in the next week or so.

thirdman

Reaction score
Will the Harris tweed MTO only be up for a short time? I'm trying to decide whether to order one, but would love to see some of the other new MTO fabrics before deciding...

Thanks!

TactileOne

Reaction score
Opinions wanted. I'm looking to pick up a good basic grey pair of Rudy's to wear for dress/casual office attire here in Atlanta. Look's as if I can chose from: Super 120's, Hopsack, Merino and Flannel. All in a wide range of hues. I'd welcome opinions.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Will the Harris tweed MTO only be up for a short time? I'm trying to decide whether to order one, but would love to see some of the other new MTO fabrics before deciding...

Thanks!

We'll have it online for as long as the fabric holds out. The only snag is that every Southwick account - including the Brooks stores - have access to these MTO fabrics, so it's hard to predict when they're going to sell out. At the moment, they've got good stock on most of the fabrics, although Rusty Violet Herringbone is down to about 5-6 remaining units as we've taken a few orders against that. And we've got about 10 units on the Brandywine Tattersall.

Any idea when other fabrics will show on the Rudy orders?

If there's a Walt fabric that's not on the Rudy pre-order page and you don't feel like waiting, it's probably best to just email and get a one-off pair made. I've done that a number of times with quick results, most recently with the dove grey hopsack.

These actually should have been shipped to me last week, but I was in the middle of moving into a new house, and I just filled out my change of address form with USPS right as they were being shipped. Now they're stuck in the purgatory that is USPS forwarding! Hopefully they show up sometime in the next week or so.

Yup, I would definitely advise that - we can certain take an individual order for you.

Opinions wanted. I'm looking to pick up a good basic grey pair of Rudy's to wear for dress/casual office attire here in Atlanta. Look's as if I can chose from: Super 120's, Hopsack, Merino and Flannel. All in a wide range of hues. I'd welcome opinions.

You'll LOVE the Dove Hopsack. It's really comfortable and it lends itself very well - both in color and weight - to warmer climates. I've got a pair of Rudy's on order for myself in it right now. It makes a great match to tan and caramel shoes too.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score

I have the Super 120s and the Hopsack, and the Hopsack is well worth the additional cost. The texture is awesome and great year round trousers for work. I wear them in 30C degrees or -40C degrees.

I'll be ordering the Dove Grey Hopsack shortly.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Rusty violet tweed has been ordered, as outlined above. I am a little sorry to pass on the oatmeal, but what Mike says makes sense. Still, I do love Donegal. Perhaps there will be more later.

And to add to the chorus: the dove hopsack trousers are excellent.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
And some pics of me today. Bringing our Anglo-Italo style to Montana Ave something hard. I was definitely the only dude in a tie on line for ice coffee. Actually, this is pretty much the deal in Brooklyn and the LES. The other neighborhood merchants can always identify an Epaulet employee.

Jacket: Napoli in Navy Seersucker
Tie: Pointed Silk Knit Tie Scarlet with Purple Dots
Shirt: Navy Label Buttondown in Purple Gingham (hopefully returning at some point!)
Belt: Carmina Cognac Horween Shell Cordovan Dress Belt
Trousers: The late, great Rudytrousers in Brown Houndstooth
Shoes: VASS F-last double monks in Ilcea museum calf (hopefully coming in the early Winter)

Last edited:

stlms3

Reaction score
Love the Walt brown hounds tooth 120s... Perfect subtle pattern for warmer months

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads