1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

I only used EP as an example since they're generally slim-fitted pants. My intention wasn't to say EP pants don't work for the barrie last since we know Mike buys inventory in a way that compliments every piece seamlessly.

What I really wanted to discuss are aesthetics of a blobby-looking last paired with tapered trousers.

2. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

I definitely think a barrie last is sleek enough to wear with tapered trousers. I wouldn't hesitate to. I have worn my rivets with my barrie suede chukkas and I would definitely also wear my walts with them. I don't have my driggs yet so I can't say how it would look yet with driggs. I think the material of the pants is more of a factor to consider when looking at blobby versus sleek lasts. I think sleek lasts are more formal in appearance and would pair better with nice more formal wools. I think a more blobby last would pair well with cotton types of trousers and flannel wool ones as well. All of this is up to a point though - if you are wearing skinny trousers that barely fit over your ankles, then yeah a barrie last might not work so well depending on your height, etc.

3. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

Sorry but I find the debate as to the aesthetics of Barrie last with slim pants to be VERY abstract without any visuals. One guy might rock what 99 others cannot pull off and vice versa. Depends on the whole outfit, the person, the look you are going for. Then, of course, different people will like it and others won't. I guess that's obvious but I don't see how any guidance can really be meaningful without picking a specific look to put up for discussion. Maybe it's just me and my crankiness in old age.

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

got it. Given that the post was made specifically in the EP thread and not started elsewhere as a general topic of conversation that lead to my apparent confusion.

as for the topic on hand take a look at all the incredible photos of Don L and Frank. Both of these guys are wearing slim fitted trousers and often times what you are referring to as blobby-looking lasts. I think all of their fits looks great and should help to ease your worry

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

You are absolutely not alone...Also not sure how in its abstract form its remotely relevant to Epaulet but perhaps I am missing something as well. If anything it would make more sense in the so called blobby shoe thread but even then might be a stretch. Perhaps I am cranky as well?

6. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Very true. I think the OP was asking for some general rule, but the reality is that it will depend on a lot of variables as you mention. I agree without having a visual of the OP trying the combo it likely isn't going to be a fruitful rabbit trail to follow. As many guys demonstrate, it can be done. Whether the OP can pull it off with a given outfit is what would have been a better question.

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I love me a good blobby-looking last!

Seriously, I do like a more generously shaped shoe personally. Which in no way constitutes any kind of assertion that this suits everyone or everyone should wear them...

So I'm game for this.

I'm going to post a photo with the 8oz clay Rivets and a pair of Barrie PTBs and we can all see what we think. Will do the same with the Driggs and Walts for fun.

And people can say what they think of it, one way or another. No hard feelings.

:)

1 person likes this.
  8. SerialComma

SerialComma Senior member

It's been a few weeks since I saw mentions of the henleys and hoodies. Any updates?

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

as do I!!

10. Don L

Don L Senior member

Me too

11. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Blobby is the way to go.

12. gaseousclay

gaseousclay Senior member

me three. and to be honest, there are very few companies that make an appealing chiseled shoe that I like.

13. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

It's either overly chiseled or overly sleek; just overboard as if to rebel against blobby styling.

This is why, as much as I like some of their shoes, I could never wear St Crispins. They look distorted.

14. brp2

brp2 Senior member

All this talk about shoes makes me want to see the new EP footwear.

Also, thinking I need a black Chelsea boot. Any suggestions?

15. tricky

tricky Senior member

God I can't remember but it sounds right. I guess my lighter ones are clay? Can't remember all the different names anymore.

16. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

Would be down. Was also thinking about something similar to a C&J Tetbury black chukka.

17. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

I think a black chukka similar to the Tetbury except not quite so sleek and long. They just look really long and thin to me. Anyone know of any good carmina chukkas in that vein?

18. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Hey guys!

Sorry to be missing in action. The fam and I are moving from LA to NYC this Sunday, and things are pretty bonkers. If you have any urgent needs, definitely call the stores or email us, as I probably won't be able to answer any PM's for several days.

In terms of everything else - here's what we're planning to launch this month:

1) Driggs OTR in tropical wool
    2) EPLA Tennis shoes
    3) EPLA Indigo-dyed crewneck and hoodie
    4) New EPNY shirting
    5) EPLA Tubular Knit Tees
    6) Carmina Chocolate Calf Double monk (Inca last) and Black Calf Plain Toe (Rain last)
    7) Luigi Bianchi Mantova MTO Program
    8) Southwick MTO Suiting Program (with Walt trousers as the bottoms and an awesome selection of Vitale Barberis fabrics)
    9) Southwick Spring/Summer MTO Jacket Program (better late than never!)
    10) Some new ties and accessories
    11) Wilshire Jeans in Hand-Distressed Cone '68 Selvedge and Natural (off-white) Kaihara Selvedge

With regards to "blobby" shoes, our official word is that they are fantastic. Even our Carmina buys tend to favor thicker soles and more substantial lasts. The majority of our customers want the versatility to dress items up or down and to wear their higher-end shoes casually. As such, we tend to go for beefier lasts. Our in-house Goodyear Welts (coming this Fall) will all reflect that. They'll be slimmer than a work boot but thicker than a dress boot. Very similar to the kind of makeups that we do with Alden and Carmina.

3 people like this.
  19. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

natural kaihara would be amazing

20. lbrig

lbrig Senior member

New to the thread and Epaulet so apologies if this is well worn territory, but are Doyle jackets ever offered in 44?

Also, are the fits on the EPLA oxfords comparable to any other brands? Looks like I'd need to size up to xl based on the measurements.