• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

runningfrog

Reaction score

Alden confirmed all of the non-shell styles, but no delivery date as of yet. The shell ones are still unconfirmed for actual production. And we've now crossed 3 years officially for the first run of Ravello Brixton Boots. It's insane.

I've mentioned this a few times to everyone who ordered these, but I can't apologize enough for it. Really, I'd love nothing more than to get these shoes in and finally fulfill the backorders. In the time that we've been waiting for these, we've done over 35 MTO styles with Carmina, and we've had great turnarounds on everything. It will be just like that for Vass. As always - anyone who has a long-standing Alden preorder with us can get a refund at any time for either cash (sent to you via paypal) or credit (applied against anything else that we have in stock). Just drop me an email and we'll get it done immediately.

mike, thanks for the update on the alden pre-orders. when are the vass x epaulet styles arriving? :D

John Grady Cole

Reaction score
Mike, can you explain what you mean by "fusible" in the description of the collar for the new chambray shirt? Thanks.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Will you continue to order from alden (in non shell)? And preferably sleeker lasts like grant and plaza?
Oh yes, we've got a ton of Aldens on order. Pretty much all of them are non-shell. Lots of scotchgrain, burnished tan calf, and chromexcel. The only Alden shell that I order now is Color #8, as we can get a pretty reasonable delivery on that. And it's a handsome tone that's actually unique to Alden. I think that we did one Plaza last style, but we're mostly sticking with Barrie-Tru-Balance-Leydon-Aberdeen. I have a ton of slimmer shoes from Carmina, so I order Aldens primarily to be thicker, more casual styles.
and does the cognac alpine come only in grain, because thats a great color, does it come in normal calfskin in that color also?
Yes, the closest calf color was the Oxblood that we ran way back when in the Brixton boot. That's been discontinued. So I believe this Alpine Grain is the only calf offered in this color. But I agree - its phenomenal! I'd love to develop a similar calf color for our Vass makeups.
that is truly nuts. cannot wait for the Vass MTO program to start. I have been discussing the idea of a Alt Wien boot with Mike...anyone interested? would be similar to the Alden version but not have the brogueing at the top of the boot that is circled in red in the second photo...the other brogueing lines would just extend to the top of the leather
This is a totally brilliant idea - let's definitely do this for the first Vass MTO project!
...And/or will your standard orders ever go down to US7.5D? You have saved me *thousands* of dollars in shoe purchases simply becuase you don't stock my size. ;)
We typically order Alden's down to a US8 equivalent, so 7.5's come in Barrie and Tru-Balance. That's realistically the smallest size that we'll stock in our shoes, but you'll be able to order a true US7.5 in Vass or Carmina via an MTO project or a personal MTO item.
mike, thanks for the update on the alden pre-orders. when are the vass x epaulet styles arriving? :D
My pleasure. Our first Vass style will be in the Santa Monica store for the opening. That's the scotch grain austerity brogue. The next delivery is mid September.
fix only lasted for a day, give us some clues on upcoming fall shirting! drop us a booooone...!
Haha, I'll see if I can get some swatches together. Lots of flannel, lots of new dress shirts...
Mike, can you explain what you mean by "fusible" in the description of the collar for the new chambray shirt? Thanks.
Sure, fusible fabric sits in the collar and cuffs to give them shape. That's how the collar works. "Hard" or "Stiff" fusible is used for dress shirts and gives you that snappy, sharp collar "Soft" fusible is used in casual shirts, which allows the collar to mold around you. We typically use that in our casual shirts (like the frost chambray)

Last edited:

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yes, the closest calf color was the Oxblood that we ran way back when in the Brixton boot. That's been discontinued. So I believe this Alpine Grain is the only calf offered in this color.

But I agree - its phenomenal! I'd love to develop a similar calf color for our Vass makeups.

I'd be interested in seeing if you can use this alpine grain in a Vass makeup.

Are the Vass austerity brogues going to be in-store in Santa Monica only or online as well?

Wade

Reaction score
Goat suede eisenhower on sale for you lucky XL ppl

nativebelle

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered, but I didn't see anything come up on the search or recent pages of the thread. I want to buy a couple pairs of rivet chinos but am worried about the cotton twill on the inside of the leg that shows when you cuff - I work in a somewhat conservative environment and would at least like the option of being able to have a tailor remove part of it. I'm not sure that it's gonna fly. Is this at all possible?

Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads