• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) I purchased the 120s navy and medium gray trousers. Which trouser should be next in my collection? I was looking at the dove gray hopsack, but I'm afraid that the color is too similar to the medium gray. I already have charcoal HY pants. What are your thoughts?

2) These are my following size measurements: chest - 34, sleeve - 32, shoulders-17. Which size would fit me best in Epaulet dress shirts?
XS,
I have similar measurements but a slightly bigger chest and find XS to be a good snug fit.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been trying to get an LA gathering a couple of times now but always end up being me and Gbear hanging out.

Would be dope to get a group pic of the members here locally and their own respective style.

I am down!

Just got back in town, and the LA is going to happen? That's huge!

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:censored: Hate that side of town.

Good location for probably everyone but me. On the upside for my wallet, this alone will reduce my purchases, because the drive up the 405 from long beach is murder.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are sized the same as other jackets and you might get to see the swatches in person.

badsha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks
but they dont have those fabrics as jackets?

No. They are just fabrics right now. I am sure the swatches are in one of the stores.

Last edited:

kwanon

Reaction score
Has anyone ever run their duck walts through a dryer on low? I'm thinking if I wash them in the machine (on cold) it's only a matter of time before the wife or I forget to line dry them and they end up in the dryer. We usually set the dryer for a pretty short time so it doesn't get a chance to heat the clothes up too much.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone ever run their duck walts through a dryer on low? I'm thinking if I wash them in the machine (on cold) it's only a matter of time before the wife or I forget to line dry them and they end up in the dryer. We usually set the dryer for a pretty short time so it doesn't get a chance to heat the clothes up too much.

I did this to the caramel ducks I just got, because I wanted to remove any an all possible shrinkage before I got them tailored. They definitely shrunk a lot in the inseam (like an inch and a half), which is great because that's what I was going for. There was minimal shrinkage everywhere else, nothing too drastic.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

@dupedd (quote function on the SF website isn't working):

For the Cotton/Cashmere FF rivets, which I also have, I'd dry clean them as the tag suggests. They have a fair amount of cashmere in them and probably shouldn't be washed. Matt alerted me to this a while back -- thanks Matt!

Mike advised that I wash mine in cold water and hang dry. I did this as soon as I received my cotton/cashmere FF rivets. I'm glad I did as the length shrunk up a bit. After that initial washing i've dry-cleaned them every other time. Primarily because I don't want them to fade.

Washing them should be okay, but as Pastor wrote - they will shrink a bit in the length.

That said, if you can commit to always dry cleaning them, that's probably a better route. A few washes won't make a difference, but a lot of washing will probably cause the fabric to lose its smooth hand due to the cashmere wearing differently than the cotton. With wool-cotton blends, dry cleaning is always a good idea. It's not so much the water aspect of washing (you can hand-wash a cashmere sweater), but the rough action of the washing machine that can stretch out and wear out wool.

1) I purchased the 120s navy and medium gray trousers. Which trouser should be next in my collection? I was looking at the dove gray hopsack, but I'm afraid that the color is too similar to the medium gray. I already have charcoal HY pants.  What are your thoughts? 

2) These are my following size measurements: chest - 34, sleeve - 32, shoulders-17. Which size would fit me best in Epaulet dress shirts? 

Hmm, well you got the basics (thank you!)

Dove gray is substantially lighter than medium gray, but you've got the gray thing covered. Since it sounds like you're building out a collection of basic-ish dress trousers, I'd recommend either the Cement or the Espresso for your next trouser. In the online shop they get a little bit overlooked, but Espresso is one of our best-selling colors in-store. We actually sell it a lot more than Navy. It's hard to find a good brown trouser, and it looks really cool and old-school. It's a great match for tan and caramel shoes, and not a color that you see everyday. Dresses up really nicely with a navy blazer too.

Outside of that, Nori Tropical is great too. This is our last run, so we're a bit broken in sizes, but it's a very cool and wearable color. A bit less versatile than the Espresso, but the chances of us ever having anything quite like that again are pretty slim. The hand on it is so good!

Does the eggshell poplin LBM have a double vent or center vent? I can't tell from the pics and it doesn't say in the description.

Oh sorry about that - it has a double vent.

If that last remaining jacket is your size, then you won't regret it. That thing is amazing! I can't believe how many compliments it received at Pitti Uomo - where dandy guys in cream colored double breasted jackets are a dime a dozen. It's really sharp and surprisingly easy to wear.

WJ4, I like that SC. I need to find something like that.

This was me on Saturday. Special order SC (lightweight wool), in the Napoli unstructured fit. The lightweight wool is still comfortable here, where it rarely goes above 70˚. Trousers are the lightweight silk/linen blend. They have a slightly greenish cast. I can't recall the name, but I dig them.

That looks great! You really made sharp choices for your MTO's this season. I love it made up.

thecool85

Reaction score
Oh sorry about that - it has a double vent.

If that last remaining jacket is your size, then you won't regret it. That thing is amazing! I can't believe how many compliments it received at Pitti Uomo - where dandy guys in cream colored double breasted jackets are a dime a dozen. It's really sharp and surprisingly easy to wear.

Oh, I was the one who grabbed the jacket that made that the last remaining one
devil.gif
. At $675 it was a bit hard for me to justify, personally, but at $395 I really couldn't pass on it. I'm thinking it's going to pair really well with the Nori trousers I have coming as well. Thanks for the info!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
EPAULET SANTA MONICA

Hey guys!

I can't believe that it's taken so long for me to make this announcement... but yes... this Fall will be the launch of our first West Coast boutique.

Our address is going to be 1133 Montana Avenue in Santa Monica. e're taking over a sublease from "Pasha Fine Jewelry." They still have their name on the awnings if you drive by. Adele and I are personally moving out here to open the shop, so you'll see plenty of us at the store. The grand opening date is planned for the 2nd or 3rd week of August - largely dependent upon when we get our merchandise in.

This has been in the works for a while. Anyone who speaks to me knows how much I love LA. We've been making our chinos here for years, and it's always been a pleasure for me to visit. Our trunk show last Fall was a huge success (despite my pain-in-the-ass downtown location), and we thought that it was time to have a presence here. The store is going to be a nice manageable size (1000sq feet) that will give it the same personal vibe as our NYC shops.

The Santa Monica spot came after a lot of deliberation. We looked in a lot of locations: Downtown, Echo Park, Silverlake, Melrose, Hollywood, etc. We wanted a similar vibe to our NYC shops. A nice neighborhood location and a comfortable place to walk around was crucial. Our Lower East Side shop is largely a destination, and very few of our customers actually live in that neighborhood. But guys feel comfortable trekking out there because there's a great food and nightlife scene in the LES. I'm hoping that they'll feel the same way about the shop on Montana. There's a lot of great restaurants around. The beach is down the block. We're good friends with the Unionmade guys, and they're not far away at the Brentwood Country Mart. The 3rd Street Promenade is there in case you need an Apple computer or Hollister cargo shorts (I keed, I keed). And parking is easy. There's cheap and pretty much always available meters out front, and free residential parking alongside Montana. Overall, it's a really pleasant place to visit and made a day of things if you don't live close by.

Another exciting thing about a West Coast location is my access to the garment district here. You'll see a TON of product expansion from us in the next season. We'll have a lot of new product coming in, at all ends of the price spectrum. The LA garment center is excellent - especially for more casual basics - and I intend to use my close proximity to the fullest.

I'd love to hear any and all suggestions from guys in LA. Tell me what products you want, things you'd like to see, if the store hours work for you, feedback on the space.. anything. We'll certainly do a grand opening event and invite everyone. And we can host periodic trunks shows and meetups. We'll have a lot of product available for custom ordering and MTO work, and it would be great to give everyone an opportunity to see it in person.

And.... regarding sales tax. With a physical location here in CA, we will have to charge sales tax on both in-store and online purchases. Just having an affiliated business here tips that requirement - Amazon.com had to do it just because of their affiliates here. But that said - I hear ya. We'll put something in place to lessen the impact, I promise :).

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No Dodgers stuff and we're cool Mike.

thecool85

Reaction score
EPAULET SANTA MONICA

Hey guys!

I can't believe that it's taken so long for me to make this announcement... but yes... this Fall will be the launch of our first West Coast boutique.

Our address is going to be 1133 Montana Avenue in Santa Monica. e're taking over a sublease from "Pasha Fine Jewelry." They still have their name on the awnings if you drive by. Adele and I are personally moving out here to open the shop, so you'll see plenty of us at the store. The grand opening date is planned for the 2nd or 3rd week of August - largely dependent upon when we get our merchandise in.

This has been in the works for a while. Anyone who speaks to me knows how much I love LA. We've been making our chinos here for years, and it's always been a pleasure for me to visit. Our trunk show last Fall was a huge success (despite my pain-in-the-ass downtown location), and we thought that it was time to have a presence here. The store is going to be a nice manageable size (1000sq feet) that will give it the same personal vibe as our NYC shops.

The Santa Monica spot came after a lot of deliberation. We looked in a lot of locations: Downtown, Echo Park, Silverlake, Melrose, Hollywood, etc. We wanted a similar vibe to our NYC shops. A nice neighborhood location and a comfortable place to walk around was crucial. Our Lower East Side shop is largely a destination, and very few of our customers actually live in that neighborhood. But guys feel comfortable trekking out there because there's a great food and nightlife scene in the LES. I'm hoping that they'll feel the same way about the shop on Montana. There's a lot of great restaurants around. The beach is down the block. We're good friends with the Unionmade guys, and they're not far away at the Brentwood Country Mart. The 3rd Street Promenade is there in case you need an Apple computer or Hollister cargo shorts (I keed, I keed). And parking is easy. There's cheap and pretty much always available meters out front, and free residential parking alongside Montana. Overall, it's a really pleasant place to visit and made a day of things if you don't live close by.

Another exciting thing about a West Coast location is my access to the garment district here. You'll see a TON of product expansion from us in the next season. We'll have a lot of new product coming in, at all ends of the price spectrum. The LA garment center is excellent - especially for more casual basics - and I intend to use my close proximity to the fullest.

I'd love to hear any and all suggestions from guys in LA. Tell me what products you want, things you'd like to see, if the store hours work for you, feedback on the space.. anything. We'll certainly do a grand opening event and invite everyone. And we can host periodic trunks shows and meetups. We'll have a lot of product available for custom ordering and MTO work, and it would be great to give everyone an opportunity to see it in person.

And.... regarding sales tax. With a physical location here in CA, we will have to charge sales tax on both in-store and online purchases. Just having an affiliated business here tips that requirement - Amazon.com had to do it just because of their affiliates here. But that said - I hear ya. We'll put something in place to lessen the impact, I promise
smile.gif

Ish is about to go down. I could pretend that having to pay sales tax is gonna lessen my purchases, but I have no business lying to myself like that. Can't wait to welcome you and Adele to the west coast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads