1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. brp2

brp2 Senior member

Congratulations!

2. wj4

wj4 Senior member

So now the babyswear sub-field will start :slayer:

2 questions for you dudes:

1. How do you know when it's time to service your shoes due to soles wearing down? This is primary geared towards leather soles. Is it when holes start forming?

2. In regards to cuffing trousers...is this seem as more casual and informal? Would one want to add cuffs to a staple suit or a suit used specifically for a wedding?

3. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

1. I go by feel. If the sole feels really squishy that means it's almost through to the cork; at that time I consider it time for a resole.

2. Cuffs are traditionally a casual "country" detail. I typically put them on flannels and tweeds, and sometimes on suits when I want to go full #menswear. I generallly wouldn't put them on a more formal suit, but it's sort of a personal preference these days I think.

4. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Thanks for the fast reply!

With the little walking I do on concrete ground, I think it will be fairly quite a while before I need to service the shoes for their soles. Feeling squishy...that's interesting. Does it feel like wearing an old pair of sneakers perhaps? With no response?

2. I agree. Since menswear has become so popular with the younger crowd, almost anything goes...highwater pants and thick cuffs. I am semi thinking about adding cuffs on a pretty boring charcoal suit, but kinda iffy about it.

5. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

1. It's not so much that you can feel the squishiness when walking, it's more that if you push on the sole with your thumb it has some give to it, you know?

2. I say go for it! You can always get them removed. It might just be the influence of current trends, but I really like how the interface of shoes with cuffs looks.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  6. thebunk

thebunk Senior member

Congrats Mike and Adele! Glad to hear everyone is doing well.

7. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

8. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

Congrats Mike and Adele. Welcome to the club!

9. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Congratulations Mike and Adele!

10. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Congrats Mike! All the best to you and your family.

11. badsha

badsha Senior member

Congratulations to you Mike and Adele. She's beautiful.

12. Don L

Don L Senior member

Fantastic news Mike & Adele. Nothing better than a little girl [​IMG]

13. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Congrats Mike and Adele on the little bundle of joy!

14. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Huge congratulations to Mike and Adele. What a beautiful girl! Some other customers and I toasted to her at the shop on Saturday in your absence!

15. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Thanks! And yeah, I am not surprised to hear that critique from you. I actually went back and forth between cuff vs. no cuff and I think I should have stuck with the cuffs. And I actually agree that a no-break hem would good here, but I would never want my jeans to fit like that for any other look. You pull it off well, but it's generally not for me, I don't think.

This fit was sort of a test run. It looks like I'm probably going to be in Milan for a few days in May. I don't know if I should go full #pitti, but I feel like I may as well make an effort to blend in since I've got the chance. Not planning on packing a suit but I can justify bringing the Marcello to do something like this look.

16. K. Nights

K. Nights Senior member

Anyone have tips for maintaining the crease in the heavier tweed pants? It seems to fall out very quickly due to the thickness of the fabric.

17. nathanl

nathanl Senior member

Seconded - this is especially the case on my chessboard tweeds.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  18. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Late to the party, but my congratulations go to Mike, Adele and Altmana [​IMG] I'm only at the proposing stage right now...

19. applky

applky Senior member

Good luck @neutrino !

Another perspective on this: I find cuffs these days to be more traditional, and generally to look better on odd trousers than on suits, and with heavier fabrics. The key is getting the cuff height and trouser width in line with your body's own proportions. I'm 6' tall, and with my size 32 walts (8" width), I do a 2" cuff. Tried 2.5" once, and it looked too big. Generally shorter guys do shorter cuffs, but that's not a hard and fast rule. The best thing is to try it out and play around with it.

Heavier fabrics do lose their crease more easily. If it bothers you, you can get in the habit of spot-ironing the crease very gently (you don't want to put undue wear on those areas). Many dry cleaners also will press your trousers -- i.e. press only, no cleaning -- for a couple of bucks.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. eddiemczee

eddiemczee Senior member

Congrats Mike and Adele!