• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

wj4, do you get feedback here or IRL about your color and pattern mixing? Personally, I think you do a good job. I can't recall seeing a mix you've put together that clearly doesn't work.

Hey Frank! Thanks. I don't get any feedback here or in real life. Well, I only post my pictures in this thread. I used to post in the WAYWT MC Casual thread, but there's a couple of smart mouths that ruined the fun for me. And in real life, I feel like if you just wear a sports coat, folks will automatically call you a smart dresser, haha.

Today:

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Mike does that mean the MTO's should be around shortly? Can't wait for mine!

Actually the Southwick MTO jackets and suits ship individually, whenever they're ready. You should be getting yours any day now. Can't wait to see that navy seersucker suit!

Been a huge, huge fan of Epaulet trousers for a long time, but I'm thinking about taking the plunge into the sports coats. Question: How structured is the shoulder in the Caine jacket compared to the Napoli? I live in San Francisco, so I can't exactly try it on, but I'm trying to decide between the two. Also, is the only difference between the Weller and the Caine the ticket pocket? Thanks!

I called EP this morning and asked the same question. Adele explained that the Caine, Napoli and Weller have the same fit. The Caine and Weller both have the "natural" padded shoulder. The Napoli has an unconstructed soft shoulder. The Weller is fully lined, whereas the Caine and Napoli are 3/8 lined.

I hope this helps!

Yup, this is correct. Originally, we came up with the idea of using naming each model individually. Every jacket has the same fit, and the names "Caine," "Weller," and such were there to denote the different mix of pockets and liners. In a nutshell:

Caine, Weller, and Daltrey are all fully lined, natural shoulder. They basically fit the same.
The Weller is fully lined with breast welt / inset flap pockets. The Caine is 3/8 lined with a ticket pocket. The Daltrey is fully lined with a breast patch pocket and hip patch with flap pockets.
The Napoli is the same fit as the others but has a softer, Italian-styled unconstructed shoulder. The new Napoli's all have a breast welt and open patch hip pockets.

Navy Wool hopsack is far and away our best selling jacket fabric. I've got a full size run of Napoli jackets in this cloth to go online tomorrow-Friday. It's a great fabric for SF, and a nice casual-ish shape which can be worn business casual without looking too dressy.

Which would wear cooler for a summer blazer; Napoli in duck canvas or wool hopsack?

Both are pretty similar. The Duck is heavier but breathes well due to the open weave. The hopsack is lighter, and will wear like a slightly more lightweight suit jacket.

The duck is definitely a casual piece though. If you want to really dress the jacket up, then the hopsack will definitely be more versatile.

LBM and Leaf Ducks...looks like Spring has finally arrived for good:

Looking good!

And do you guys see his tie? Stay tuned for NYI's release of this product through his neckwear brand. We carried this fabric years ago, and it's one of the best ties that we ever produced. He's making it under his own label, and it's going to be awesome.

I dropped into the Orchard Street store tonight to try on a few things.  Had a sport coat in mind, but walked out with one of the new motorcycle jackets in chestnut brown.  It's boss as hell.  Thanks for keeping the shop open late for me, Mike.

Thank you sir! Our first customer for the Wyatt! We'll have this online tomorrow.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

And you guys have me browsing film cameras on eBay. Crazy what you can get for $100, though I suppose film and processing will eventually add up. Anyone have thoughts on vintage rangefinders? Seems like something a little different. Tempted to try one out.

I'm absolutely down for a Styleforum 35mm club! And Frank, I'm so glad that you asked this. I love recommending film cameras. For anyone out there who wants to jump in for a camera that's inexpensive, takes good pics, and isn't a pain **********, I'd recommend these (all available on Ebay). I'll keep it simple with one per category, and around a $100 price point.

As always with Ebay cameras, buy them from sellers with good feedback, who explicitly say that the camera is tested and working, and who offer a return policy.

Rangefinder

Olympus XA
This camera is nearly perfect. You can get a new one for under $100. Lens is brilliant and it has real rangefinder focusing and aperture priority settings. It's very compact and tough.

SLR

Nikon FG with 50/1.8 lens
Quality aperture priority manual focus SLR. It's a smaller size, so easy to carry around. Only buy it with a Nikon lens. If you want to spend more money, then find one with a 50/1.4.

Point and Shoot

Yashica T3

This is a hidden gem. Early 2000's photographers like Terry Richardson made the Yashica T4/T5 famous. This is a long-running series of compact cameras with really excellent Carl Zeiss lenses.

The T3 is a bit of an 80's ugly duckling, but it has an awesome f/2.8 lens, decently fast autofocus, and one in good condition goes for about $150.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Received my blue chambray shirt a few days ago. Washed and ironed it and got ready for work yesterday morning. Had to get my daughter dressed and stained the cuff with Vaseline during her diaper change. Tried
all the methods to remove the stain and it won't come out. What a let down :(

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Received my blue chambray shirt a few days ago. Washed and ironed it and got ready for work yesterday morning. Had to get my daughter dressed and stained the cuff with Vaseline during her diaper change. Tried
all the methods to remove the stain and it won't come out. What a let down :(

You try baby powder?

Absolute worst case scenario, you have a nice new "short sleeve" chambray shirt. $15 chop job.

Last edited:

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I
You try baby powder?

Absolute worst case scenario, you have a nice new "short sleeve" chambray shirt. $15 chop job.

I did the rubbing alcohol and cold water method all yesterday and ran it through the wash twice. Unfortunately too late for baby powder now but my last effort is dry cleaner tonight.

Good point about the short sleeves though :)

I'll have to pick up another if the dry cleaner is a bust - it's a great shirt.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just purchased the 38 navy Hopsack. Fingers crossed it fits!

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I

I did the rubbing alcohol and cold water method all yesterday and ran it through the wash twice. Unfortunately too late for baby powder now but my last effort is dry cleaner tonight.

Good point about the short sleeves though :)

I'll have to pick up another if the dry cleaner is a bust - it's a great shirt.

You should try one of these two things:

1. Soak in cold water and dish washing liquid. This will help break down the Petroleum based stain (detergent doesn't fight oil stains well). Then run it through a wash.

2. This is a lot more intensive, but Oxyclean will get out almost anything. I would try number one first.

And congrats on the Napoli! If you're wearing a medium or large in our shirts, there's a good chance it will work.

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many thanks - I'll try this tonight.

I wear a medium in your shirts and am 6'1" 165-170 so hopefully it will be great :)

You should try one of these two things:

1. Soak in cold water and dish washing liquid. This will help break down the Petroleum based stain (detergent doesn't fight oil stains well). Then run it through a wash.

2. This is a lot more intensive, but Oxyclean will get out almost anything. I would try number one first.

And congrats on the Napoli! If you're wearing a medium or large in our shirts, there's a good chance it will work.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Just purchased the 38 navy Hopsack. Fingers crossed it fits!

I have been debating whether to get the Napoli Navy sport coat. Currently, I don't have a navy sport coat and this would have been perfect if it has side vents. However, the thought of buying it kept coming back to me throughout yesterday. I am glad you gents got it and made the decision for me!!!

Waiting for the new batch of Napoli to go up now...

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

I have been debating whether to get the Napoli Navy sport coat. Currently, I don't have a navy sport coat and this would have been perfect if it has side vents. However, the thought of buying it kept coming back to me throughout yesterday. I am glad you gents got it and made the decision for me!!!

Waiting for the new batch of Napoli to go up now...

We should have those up by tomorrow at the latest. The new configuration has side vents and a breast welt, so that might be the ticket for you!

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
New LBM 1911 Jackets

We're rolling out a lot of new product today! First up are two new LBM 1911 jackets. This shape has a 3-roll-2 front, welt breast pocket, and open patches at the hips. These jackets have been selling really well for us, and they make a great casual spring/summer piece. Machine washable too. The fit is on the shorter side, so if you're much taller than 6', you'll want to carefully check the measurements if you take smaller than a Euro 52 / US 42.

L.B.M. 1911 3/2 Roll Blue Linen Sportcoat: $595

L.B.M. 1911 3/2 Roll Navy Cotton Sportcoat: $595

neutrino

Reaction score
One of my favorite combos: leaf duck and natty CXL. The shirt is actually my first Epaulet shirt, tan/brown/navy tattersall, from almost a year ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads