• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

First time ever shooting with film, yesterday was a cold day so I wore my air force flannels and carminas.

for the curious it was a Pentax ME Super with a 50mm f/1.7 I found in my basement, apparently my fathers.

Photos are great. Meant to ask if that's an actual varsity letter sweater you are wearing. If asking isn't prying too much, that is.

Roguls

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haha to be honest, I didn't even expect the pictures to be any decent, it was my first time using the camera and film in general so I didn't know what to anticipate. As a result I just took them to CVS for the one hour develop and asked for them to be put on a cd for me rather than print them out.

I'm such a wanna be bourgeois I never even considered the drug store. :facepalm:

A good fixed lens is incredible. The first pic harkens a time passed, but puts it in technicolor. Thanks for posting something so cool - I get disillusioned all the time looking at the terrible photography on this site.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yale is the obvious candidate, but I don't know exactly what an official version looks like. Also wondering if it's his, a relative's, etc.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Wore the chartreuse tweed Walts, cranberry windowpane FF jacket, and ruby shell Carmina captoes over the weekend. Good thing it is hardly spring here.
Agreed with everyone else, this is slamming! A really inspirational mix of texture and color.
Is the dove grey gingham shirt not available for special order, or was it just left off the drop down? Was going to venture into my first special order shirt with that. Also what do you guys think, grey merino side tabs or the grey hopsack? I need some more grey trousers in my life. I just got back from 3 weeks in Spain and England. Good times. Here are a couple pics -- out before dinner in Bilbao (air force flannels pants, Caine sport coat, Hawthorne Carmina loafers) and one of two pair of Carminas I bought in Spain with the air force flannels (I found the caramel calf double monks on sale so had to jump on those, and have been wanting a pair of black monks too). I had a bunch of **** stolen in Barcelona so only iPhone pics. If you want to see the travel pics you can take a look on my instagram (rus_in_urbe).
Ah, so you HAVE been gone all this time! I wasn't sure if you were just posting a hundred previous shots on Instagram. Really sorry to hear about the theft in Barcelona. I'm in the European pickpocketed club too - I got my wallet lifted on the metro in Vienna. It definitely sucks. Hope that the trip was good outside of that.
Here's a terrible picture of the factory find napoli jacket in the blue herringbone hopsack. The herringbone is a tiny bit more pronounced IRL. This napoli jacket's comfort level is unreal. This is straight out of the box, btw, hence the few wrinkles: By the way, what's the best method to get a sharp crease out of the canvassing? Thinking a tailor (top right of the jacket, near the shoulder)
Yeah, I see that. The creases in the body of the jacket are from the packing, but that wrinkle in the canvas was a lack of pressing from Southwick. It shouldn't arrive like that. Drop us an email at contact[at]epauletnewyork.com with your order number and we'll put through a $15 refund to get that fixed. Get it pressed at at dry cleaner or a tailor and that should come right out. Be sure to show them that it's a 3-roll-2 so that they don't accidentally try to press it into a 3 button.
Hey guys, I've been following this thread for a while and have become very enthusiastic about upgrading my wardrobe as a result. After a bit of thought about choosing my first sportcoat I think i've decided I'd like go for a tan color rather than a navy one. I guess I'm looking for thoughts on this decision, as I know Navy is supposed to be the go to color if you have only one. I looked at picture comparisons between the new Napoli Caramel Duck Canvas coat(which i'm excited about) and the various walt and rivet pants I have or are on the way and I think tan will work better in combination with all of them pretty much. I also think part of it is Navy seems a little too 'dressy' at this point for me. Tan or "Caramel" just suits me better I think.
btw, here's my current selection, on the way and WTB choices:
Walts: FF tropical taupe fleck trousers, Caramel Duck canvas, Merino wool cadet grey, olive moleskin, juniper and elderberry linen, regiment twill moss
Rivets: canvas navy, blue oxford cloth, Plum duck, FF cotton/cashmere twill Clay, Goldenrod and Slate Blue
For context, I'm turning 30 and I usually fall into the "hipster look" category. I rent apartments for work and don't dress up too much. The office dress code is more casual than business- jeans and collared shirts. I've always been into wearing a bit of color- Levi's 510 "skinny" color jeans, old thrift store polos, white or pastel OCBD shirts, and tan or pale colored London Fog Ricky style jackets. Anyway, my style choices continue to evolve and I'm just really glad I found Epaulet. The quality, fit and colors are just fantastic. I did notice that the pictured color of the caramel duck canvas sportcoat is different from those of the caramel Walts and Rivets. I'm guessing this is due to the pants being shot in the sunlight vs. the coat being shot indoors..? Is the coat the color of the pictures of the pants? Are they indeed made of identical fabric?
Yes, the Caramel Duck sportcoat and the Carmel Duck Walts & Rivets are all made of the same cloth. You're entirely right - the outdoor shots look warmer and are a bit more indicative of the real color. I'm shooting a big round of fit shots tomorrow, and you'll get to see both pieces work as a suit. It's really cool! And the duck canvas pieces look great mis-matched too (navy jacket with caramel pants or vice-versa). Navy is typically everyone's first sportcoat, but if you don't have to dress up too much, then getting a tan one could work very well. I made this Caramel jacket with that intention. The Caramel is kind of a "Carhartt" tan color, and it's a very workwear-ish tone. Other brands like Monitaly have done heritage-styled Caramel sportcoats, but I punched it into the Napoli to make a cool mix of workwear and a pared down, minimal Italian style. I really like the result. If you wear a lot of denim and a lot of olive or navy trousers, then it will be a great match for those. I'll take a photo of this with the Navy Duck Walts so you can get an idea. We've sold a LOT of Navy duck suits because the pieces work so well as separates. I don't want to overuse the versatile word, but this stuff is really versatile. One important note to any potential Duck Suit guys: if you want to wear the two pieces together, then definitely dry clean the trousers. Duck Canvas fades quickly with washing and you can't wash the jacket. You'll need to dry clean both to keep them matched up.
Haha to be honest, I didn't even expect the pictures to be any decent, it was my first time using the camera and film in general so I didn't know what to anticipate. As a result I just took them to CVS for the one hour develop and asked for them to be put on a cd for me rather than print them out.
From what I've heard, Wal-Mart and Target do decent processing too. You can also send your film away to places like the Darkroom in San Francisco. These mail order places send you free postage-paid mailers. It's more pricey and you have to wait a bit, but they'll give you pro-level processing at a pretty reasonable price. If there's any SF members in New York, then our lab is Luster on Ave A and 7th street. Good price, great service. Hell, if we get a little group of analog photo styleforumer's, then I can negotiate a group price discount. Seriously. Film photography was my full-time job for seven years.

neutrino

Reaction score
PSA: the navy hopsack Napoli in 38 is on sale now. Awesome deal, too bad I've just figured out I'm not a 38.
And I don't know if that sounds familiar to you guys but.. when you're used to getting below-the-average service, and then someone treats you like a king, you may feel almost overwhelmed and even a bit embarrassed (I mean it in a good sense) - at least that's the case for me. I know we all are already privileged here with the special refund policy, getting the first peek at everything etc., but what Mike did for me this time went miles beyond my expectations - and really I wasn't waiting for a miracle to come since I was my own enemy in my situation. Thank you, Mike!
And sorry for sounding melodramatic
lookaround.gif

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll be in NY next week. Looking forward to stopping in!

Can I try on Napoli jackets in both locations? What about LBM?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

PSA: the navy hopsack Napoli in 38 is on sale now. Awesome deal, too bad I've just figured out I'm not a 38. And I don't know if that sounds familiar to you guys but.. when you're used to getting below-the-average service, and then someone treats you like a king, you may feel almost overwhelmed and even a bit embarrassed (I mean it in a good sense) - at least that's the case for me. I know we all are already privileged here with the special refund policy, getting the first peek at everything etc., but what Mike did for me this time went miles beyond my expectations - and really I wasn't waiting for a miracle to come since I was my own enemy in my situation. Thank you, Mike! And sorry for sounding melodramatic
lookaround.gif
Thank you sir, it was my pleasure! And thanks for pointing out the Napoli jacket. Here's the deal with that, everyone: We've got two units of the Napoli hopsack on sale for $450: http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/4436/products/8233047316_6db1e615ef_b_1024x1024.jpg?8165 Napoli Unstructured Sportcoat Navy Hopsack Typically, basic items like this don't go on sale. But I received a big reorder of this style this week. The new version has a breast welt pocket, double vents, and a purple 3/8 liner. The sale one has a patch welt pocket, single vent, and a navy 3/8 liner. It's too confusing to have both items in the shop. Since we're nearly sold through on the original production run, I priced down the last two jackets to clear them out. If you're a 38, then this is a great deal! Don't forget, there's a matching trouser for this jacket as well.
I'll be in NY next week. Looking forward to stopping in! Can I try on Napoli jackets in both locations? What about LBM?
Great, looking forward to meeting you! Definitely go by the Manhattan store if you have to pick one - we generally have a deeper assortment of sportcoats, trousers, and footwear there. But if we've got one thing or another at the BK store, then it's a quick train ride away. Drop us an email when you plan to come by and maybe we can catch a drink after the shop closes.

streetlight

Reaction score

Yale is the obvious candidate, but I don't know exactly what an official version looks like. Also wondering if it's his, a relative's, etc.

Two of my friends who go to Yale got it for me, it's actually one of my go to sweaters because it's so soft, comfortable and easy to match (and I love the tradness of it). Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to attend, but who knows, maybe for graduate school :slayer:. Basically, I just like the trad ivy design and since I got it as a gift, I feel comfortable wearing it. the offical yale ones come in cream body and navy Y and navy body with a white Y, both trad and cool and match a ton of my epaulet gear. Note if you wanted to get one, the sizing is weird, I'm 5' 9.5" and 140 and wear a XS

From what I've heard, Wal-Mart and Target do decent processing too. You can also send your film away to places like the Darkroom in San Francisco. These mail order places send you free postage-paid mailers. It's more pricey and you have to wait a bit, but they'll give you pro-level processing at a pretty reasonable price. If there's any SF members in New York, then our lab is Luster on Ave A and 7th street. Good price, great service. Hell, if we get a little group of analog photo styleforumer's, then I can negotiate a group price discount. Seriously. Film photography was my full-time job for seven years.

To my untrained eye they did a decent job. Good recommendations and I would def be interested in a little group of analog photo styleforumer's if there is the demand! Looking to spend a lot more time shooting film this summer.

Last edited:

Steel28

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents,

I already have Caine Hopsack blazer, do you think adding Napoli hopsack blazer to my wardrobe is too much?

stlms3

Reaction score

Thank you sir, it was my pleasure!

And thanks for pointing out the Napoli jacket. Here's the deal with that, everyone:

We've got two units of the Napoli hopsack on sale for $450:

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0184/4436/products/8233047316_6db1e615ef_b_1024x1024.jpg?8165
Napoli Unstructured Sportcoat Navy Hopsack

Typically, basic items like this don't go on sale. But I received a big reorder of this style this week. The new version has a breast welt pocket, double vents, and a purple 3/8 liner. The sale one has a patch welt pocket, single vent, and a navy 3/8 liner.

It's too confusing to have both items in the shop. Since we're nearly sold through on the original production run, I priced down the last two jackets to clear them out. If you're a 38, then this is a great deal! Don't forget, there's a matching trouser for this jacket as well.

I hate you for this... In a good way!

I was going to go with the l.b.m. Cotton navy for a casual navy jacket in a few weeks, but then this popped up and how could i resist? i guess i will have to come back to the l.b.m. somewhere down the road.

I have an epaulet navy blazer in navy 120s, but it is a bit dressy for a normal work day. This is noticeably more casual, correct? I would have asked before I purchased, but didn't wan to push someone else to jump on this.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Gents,

I already have Caine Hopsack blazer, do you think adding Napoli hopsack blazer to my wardrobe is too much?

Haha, as much as I'd love to sell you two hopsack blazers, I'd vote yes on that. They're really quite similar.

Give it a few days - we've got the Napoli in Navy Seersucker going online. It's FANTASTIC. I'm wearing mine today, and it's an awesome warm-weather piece. This fabric really lends itself to the unconstructed shape too.

I hate you for this... In a good way!

I was going to go with the l.b.m. Cotton navy for a casual navy jacket in a few weeks, but then this popped up and how could i resist? i guess i will have to come back to the l.b.m. somewhere down the road.

I have an epaulet navy blazer in navy 120s, but it is a bit dressy for a normal work day. This is noticeably more casual, correct? I would have asked before I purchased, but didn't wan to push someone else to jump on this.

Yes, this is more casual and versatile than the navy 120's jacket. Hopsack has been our best selling sportcoat fabric ever since day one. It's comfortable and a great year-round weight. I wear mine more than any other jacket. It looks like we've got one unit left! For $700, someone with a size 38 chest could have an entire navy hopsack suit. That's pretty boss!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads