1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. kwanon

kwanon Senior member

It's OK though as long as you make sure to wear brown shoes

2. oisin

oisin Senior member

OMG, why do you hate America? :eek:

Just kidding. The button down and tie look does bug me with suits and 95% of the time is done terribly (though maybe you can say this about most mens' clothing in the wild). Even when done well I do a double take because something seems off. But I have no problem with, and actually like, an OCBD with a tie and odd jacket.

SeanMarcellus, collar type is generally a personal preference, can say something about where your style comes from, and also can depend on your face shape and body type if you want to get nerdy about it.

3. SeanMarcellus

SeanMarcellus Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the advice, I was undecided on the shirts so got this one Buttondown Collar Lavender Sunwashed Chambray and this one Point Collar Blue Pinpoint Oxford, I think I can wear either to work or play.

Since I just learned there is some new pants I've never heard of (Chino) I got these Rivet Chino Brushed Hazel.

Nice to find out about epaulet, can't wait to check out my new stuff.

4. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

Ties with button down collars work if you do it casual enough, eg. knit tie w/ a corduroy sport coat/blazer. I think "rules" like this come into being in some part b/c enough people get sick of seeing something look shitty so they try to guide away from it.

5. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Was going to say basically this. I hate the broadcloth shirt with a button-down collar paired with a business tie look, but an OCBD with a knit tie (especially a wool knit tie) kicks ass.

6. johanm

johanm Senior member

Personally I only like BD's with ties if (i) you and your outfit have a Wes Anderson vibe, or (ii) if the collar and lapels have big 70's style proportions

7. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

OCBD with repp, knit, club, or other similar ties are great.

It gets tougher to pair them with finer silk ties, but it is done well by many.

1 person likes this.
  8. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Showing my support for buttondowns with ties, here's what I'm wearing today:

Spoiler'd because items are non-EP:

[​IMG]

9. SeanMarcellus

SeanMarcellus Well-Known Member

Wow, these guys are really on the ball. I ordered some pants yesterday, 2 shirts and pants a couple hours ago, just got noticed it's all been shipped.

10. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I see EPLA shirts and jeans listed as categories on the site. :lurk:

Should I find something better to do with my day...?

11. aldenfan

aldenfan Senior member

Will the MTO shirting include OCBD? And will there be an option to specify body length and shirt sleeve length? Will the sizes go up to an XXL? I have really long arms so I need to be able to do long sleeves, and I have a 48 inch chest so none of the existing OCBD sizes Epaulet offers will fit me. The only places I have found online that have "tall" sizes I am not thrilled with but I am stuck with for now (i.e. Banana Republic pretty much is the only one I have found).

12. Reginald Bartholomew

Reginald Bartholomew Senior member

Apologies for the following ramble, but given the retrospective nature of this time of year it may be appropriate:

I'm neither a particularly active poster on this forum, nor in this thread. I'm not the Epaulet customer that many others here are (I don’t own anything other than pants, for example, though various Walts and Rivets make up about half of what I cover my junk with; EPLA is certainly going to change that). But I feel a sense of community with the people in this thread, rooted in both an appreciation of particular aesthetic and in a team of people who seem to work their asses off to do right by those who buy their vision and their clothing. My brief encounters with Mike, Adele and company have always been pleasant and enjoyable, as have any I've had with the thread regulars. You can see bonds forming in this thread, friendships cementing themselves, and outright bromances developing and deepening. People genuinely seem to look out for one another in this thread, which is a strange thing to see on an internet forum. Meaning born of personal connection is, frankly, not what you'd expect in a thread on a forum devoted to clothing, and to see it happen does speak to the power of a shared passion and a little human decency.

And as the smart casual aesthetic has spread in both directions, to suits and now to sweatshirts, I have found new items and looks to appreciate (I never thought that cable knit fishermen sweaters, for example, would ever look anything but dowdy to me, and I'm glad I was wrong). The aesthetic is still rooted in a vision that's present in earliest Rivets: clean lines, slim fits, strong construction and interesting fabrics. The Epaulet team has a great eye for what works within those confines, and their ability to grow into new products while staying true to that underlying vision is admirable; the fact that a sobriety in fit and build is accompanied by a sense of fun and wonder is actually remarkable. The passion for the work is evident not only in the clothing itself, but in the way they sell it. It doesn't come across as "buy this," but rather "check out how cool this is," and I appreciate that sentiment.

So thanks to Mike and co for being great hosts as well as fine clothiers, much respect to the people of the thread, and may the road rise up to meet us all.

15 people like this.
  13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I wonder when the new Aldens will drop??

14. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

I am also curious as to what styles they could be. I am on 4 preorders that are almost 3 years old and haven't heard anything so can't be those. It would be an awesome Christmas miracle.

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

How do you guys think the olive herringbone walts will look with color 8, cigar, brown suede and whiskey Alden shoes? I'm likely going to pick up a pair in 34.

16. Don L

Don L Senior member

I think they go well with all of those

17. tricky

tricky Senior member

Seriously....I'm just waiting for product to drop so I can start ordering :)

18. tricky

tricky Senior member

Awesome post and so true. This community rocks.

19. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

It's all warm and cordial until voting on the contest starts. When I take an early lead, oisin will leave a dead pheasant on my doorstep. I'll have him kidnapped and tortured by lesbians. He'll escape and a cross-country chase will ensue in which I narrowly make it to Brooklyn just in time to hide out with NYI. He offers me a glass of "fine bourbon" and the poison starts to kick in just in time for oisin to show up. Before he can exact revenge, wj4 appears out of nowhere in a black Thick as Thieves suit, an Epaulet liberty shirt, and pair of Reeboks. He guns all three of us down before making a quick escape.

Just you wait.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
    6 people like this.
  20. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Quick question regarding MTO chinos. Can I specify more than the options? Is it possible to give full measurements like luxire?