1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

EPDenim @$150 = IN. That is a fantastic pricepoint.

2. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Hi Mike, is the chessboard tweed railroaded (i.e., is the swatch showing us how it comes off the roll)?
    It loots pretty cool.

Thanks!

3. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Yup, we are officially open on Sundays from 12-5. Adele will be here that day.

Unfortunately no. When it comes to special order swatches - especially limited stock close-outs like this - we never have a sample when it's first presented. If we have enough stock (like in the Mink-Cash-Wool fabrics) then we'll add in fit pictures down the line. But closeout items at a discount typically sell out well before that happens.

Yes it is. The white yarn comes through as a series of small vertical points. I can't say enough good things about this fabric, it's really exceptional

4. Isachenko

Isachenko Senior member

Mike,

Any chance you can get more of this fabric in? I'd definitely order trousers if so.

[​IMG]

5. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

Am I the only one who got the brilliance of this?

It is both (1) a picture of "GONZO" and (2) he's holding a camera.

I MEAN, COME ON!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

carmina x ep, blue rc
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  7. Epaulet

Ah unfortunately no. The legendary "Autumn Speckle Tweed!" Quite a few of the guys here had Rivet Chinos made in that. This particular fabric is a good example of how the special order program works. It was a pricey blend that we bought off price and offered up for special orders. Killer fabric, great price. It sold out completely before a single finished unit came out of the factory. And we'll most likely never have access to it - at least at that price - again. It's certainly difficult ordering from a swatch, but we're always happy to answer whatever questions that we can on the different fabrics. And I personally choose each fabric that we present. I'm a pretty tough judge of quality, so you can trust that everything has been properly vetted before it goes online.
    THANK YOU! I spent something like 10 minutes looking for the perfect image to show how thrilled we are at all of the contest entries. That came up in the google search for "muppet surprised" and I knew that it was the one.

8. Epaulet

Salt Stains and Shell Cordovan

Hey guys, Tricky reminded me that I never responded to this. I've worn both shell and calf through many a winter, so I can speak to my personal experiences.

Shell Cordovan is an extremely durable leather. It wears for years and is fully capable of taking a beating. And when you show it some TLC, it can shine up to a gorgeous finish. For me, this is the main difference between Shell and an everyday tough cowhide. Shell can be polished and conditioned to something like 80% or more of its original finish, even after serious neglect. Tough workboot leather ages and looks cool doing so, but it never comes close to looking "new" again.

That said, I find that Shell requires more daily maintenance than calfskin to keep its good looks. It's common for shell to show spotting after being worn in the rain. It's easy to scratch the leather - and the scratches are more visible against its glossy finish. I find myself using Renovateur on my shell shoes after every few wears, while I might do that once a month for calf shoes. The good news is, a bit of Renovateur generally takes quick care of all these issues and can even fill in moderately deep scratches.

So, regarding Salt Stains. If the weather is really lousy, then I'll generally try not to wear any of my shell or calf shoes. That's where a scotchgrain shoe with a rubber commando sole really shines. Or Bean / Indy / 1000 Mile boots in the more casual vein. But if I have to wear shell and I get salt stains, I'll generally:

1) Use a light application of saddle soap on a lightly moist soft cloth. A little soap goes a long way, so don't overdo it.

2) Fully clean the shoes and remove any salt that you see

3) Let them dry fully

4) Work Saphir Renovateur into the leather. Take a dab of reno and be sure to spread it out on a cloth before it touches the shoe. It's a really thick substance, so if you dab it onto the leather directly then it can leave a mark where it touches. Spread it evenly on the cloth and rub it in with large circular strokes (sorry, that sounds bad, but I have to talk about rubbing and strokes when you're polishing shoes. I'm not trying to be cheeky)

5) Check the shoes after the application. If the color looks inconsistent, which could be the case on lighter shells like Saddle, then use a colored wax to even things out and bring the shoe up to a full shine. I generally use Saphir and Meltonian.

6) If it still looks stained, then don't despair! This is what cobblers are for. They've got skills and products above that of an ordinary man. Bring it to a local cobbler and stress that you want to clean and finish it with a neutral product. Stress that this is HORSE LEATHER. Not every local shoe repair place knows what shell cordovan really is. I've had to do this in the past and I've always come back with a good result.

This is just my personal advice, and I'm sure that there are other guys on here who are more experienced with wearing and cleaning shell. But it's served me well so far.

3 people like this.
  9. tricky

tricky Senior member

Whoa detailed response. Thanks a lot Mike!!!

10. thirdman

thirdman Senior member

The new cords look great. I'd been thinking about picking up a pair of the steep twills, could you compare the two? Which is heavier/lighter, which has a finer/thicker whale? Also would any of the cords be available as matching jackets?

Thanks!

11. Epaulet

My pleasure!

Steep Twills are a lot heavier and warmer. They're nearly double in thickness. It's a brilliant fabric for cold days, but the cords will give you a longer wearing season. The cotton-cash ones are the lightest, and you could probably wear those straight through the Springtime.

And yes, we can absolutely cut a matching jacket for most of these cords. To throw out a price, we'd be looking at $695 for a jacket in closeout cords, $795 in the UK blue and orange, and $895 in the cotton-cash.

Wow. You're really giving me an idea here. Making a cotton-corduroy suit might be the greatest corduroy suit of all time. I'm going to have to think about that one.

12. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Isn't scotch grain/hatch grain still normal leather that is just imprinted with a pattern? Why would it be more water/salt resistant?

13. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

Do it! Corduroy suits are fantastically awesome, and far more versatile than I think they get credit for. I want a whole closet of them.

1 person likes this.
  14. PorterInjax

PorterInjax Senior member

Is it just me and the Balvenie that is keeping me company (and my trusty rescue pup Chaya) or is the description of the premium cords a bit confusing? Mike! I want the ones that are tan/moss/taupe and not blue with the order I just placed. Sent email to the shop stating such but thought I would throw it up here as well to cover my bases...actually, it's probably just me being a bit jet lagged :)

15. Klemins

Klemins Senior member

New denim look awesome. Haven't been wearing much denim lately so will probably give these a try.

Have you ever considered doing some sort of waxed outerwear? I remember the vanson piece you had but would love to see Epaulet's take on a field/cruiser type piece.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  16. Epaulet

It might be possible in the future. We ran a few seasons of that Vanson jacket and it started out strong, but kind of fizzled towards the end. But I'm personally a big fan of it. If we can find a manufacturer who's really pushing things forward then it could be on the board.

Ah, you're totally right - I'm going to go in and label those colors. I'll shoot you an email back shortly. Thanks for the order!

You're right, I should have qualified that more. The name "Scotchgrain" really just refers to the pebbled leather texture, which by itself is not necessarily any tougher or more water-resistant.

In particular, I'm speaking about the French Scotchgrain that we're using with Vass and Carmina. Alden's Alpine Grain is very similar to this as well. These leathers start as a fairly tough cowhide, which most likely comes from an older animal and has its share of scratches and surface imperfections. You see these marks in Chromexcel. Part of the idea of all-over embossing is to camouflage these cosmetic blips. After the embossing, the leather is given a very strong top finish, which results in the shine that you see on a typical scotchgrain shoe. The quality of the underlying leather now means a lot in the overall feel. Cheap scotchgrain will feel very plasticky, almost like a patent leather. Better quality scotchgrain will still have that shiny, hard finish, but should wear in nearly and soften up.

But you'll see when you wear them - shoes and boots made in higher-end scotchgrain need very little care. Water, salt, snow, and crap either rolls off or is easily wiped off. You'll never see Scotchgrain age or show an incredible patina though, and that's part of the tradeoff. But for something easy that you don't have to stress about in lousy weather, it cannot be beat. It took me SO long to get a pair of Scotchgrain shoes with Rubber Soles, and I never looked back after that.

17. bbri06

bbri06 Member

This has probably been asked quite a few times, but I can't seem to find it. If I wear a size 34 in rivets, what size should I grab in rudys?

18. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

so mike, this group buy you are offering now is essentially the perfect foul weather boot?
    http://epauletnewyork.com/collectio...nd-burnished-scotch-grain-jumper-boot-deposit

also how would the kudu antelope work in salt,snow,etc?

last question, if im a 9.5 in rain, im the same in oscar right? i think i read that somewhere but cant find it right now. Thanks!

19. Epaulet

I'd suggest a 34 there as well. The waist is physically a bit bigger due to the constructed waistband on the Walt/Rudy, but the resulting fit at the top is fairly similar.

Ah good question! So, this "Hand-Burnished" Scotchgrain is a little bit different than the other Scotchgrain.

This one is a calfskin - not a cowhide - that's stamped for an effect and not given that hard finish. It won't be quite as tough as the other Scotchgrains but it's certainly tougher than calfskin. But it's softer and it will age nicely. I'd use something like Sno-Seal or Pecards on it and with that, I wouldn't hesitate to wear it in the snow and rain. The fact that it's a dark brown means a lot in resisting stains. It's going to be a great boot!

The Kudu is not naturally stain resistant. I was just PM'ing with another customer about this yesterday. With that leather, you'd want to fully condition it with Sno-Seal before you wear it in extended wet conditions. This is easy to do. What will happen is that the color is going to radically darken - almost to a medium-light brown. The color will darken with wear regardless, but this is going to accelerate things. After you treat it, the boot will be very weather-proof.

The Scotchgrain boot is going to be awesome, and it's the brainchild of our very own stmaier! I can't recommend this makeup enough - that hand-burnished leather is gorgeous.

2 people like this.
  20. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

thanks for the thorough reply mike.

so anything that is scotch grain but doesn't say "hand burnished" we can assume is cowhide from the current shoe/boot offerings?