1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dial_aleph

dial_aleph Member

2. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

And forget the iron - I tossed out mine years ago. Get a steamer! We use this one at the store:

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-GS7R-Co...5180250&sr=1-6

It runs $60 and it's worth every cent. No ironing board is necessary. There's much less danger of burning the fabric. And it bangs out a cotton shirt in no time.

Just kopped this, interested to try it out as I'm terrible at ironing. Thanks for the tip!

3. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

hey kgmessier,

first time posting but... would you mind ID-ing the boots you've got on in the khaki chinos pic? they look like roys to me but not 100% sure.

thank you a bunch!

I'm thinking that they're Clarks Originals Desert Boots. Did I get it right Keith?

Just kopped this, interested to try it out as I'm terrible at ironing. Thanks for the tip!

Nice! Ours has been running for two years strong. Just be sure to use distilled water with it - never tap or normal bottled water.

4. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

I'm thinking that they're Clarks Originals Desert Boots. Did I get it right Keith?

We have a winner! Care to guess the material...and shoe size? [​IMG]

5. mbrokerny

mbrokerny Senior member

Just be sure to use distilled water with it - never tap or normal bottled water.

How come?

6. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

^^ You don't want all kinds of minerals and salts (or chlorine) getting steamed into your clothes. Naturally occurring stuff which is OK for humans, not so much for fabric.

7. Epaulet

We have a winner! Care to guess the material…and shoe size? [​IMG]
    Hmm, I'm guessing a 9D in Beeswax leather?
    How come?
    ^^ You don't want all kinds of minerals and salts (or chlorine) getting steamed into your clothes. Naturally occurring stuff which is OK for humans, not so much for fabric.
    BINGO! The minerals will also clog up your machine with repeated use.

8. dusty

dusty Senior member

Minerals aren't typically carried away in evaporated water in any appreciable quantity unless you're at extremely high temperatures. The only problem is the minerals left behind clog your machine up.

9. dial_aleph

dial_aleph Member

you guys know all kinds of stuffs. thank you for getting me an ID on those boots so quickly and boy was i off!

but agree w/not using tap water for either steamer or iron. when i used to do that, it seemed that the cloth i was ironing would get this funky sheen on it. not any more once i switched to distilled water.

10. Blog Marley

Blog Marley Senior member

Thanks for pointing me towards that steamer. I got the OD chinos today and I seem to be a bit in a rough spot the 32s are a bit loose in the waist but I could barely button up the 31s. Would there be any shrinkage at all after a wash?

11. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Thanks for pointing me towards that steamer. I got the OD chinos today and I seem to be a bit in a rough spot the 32s are a bit loose in the waist but I could barely button up the 31s. Would there be any shrinkage at all after a wash?

I have noticed a little shrinkage in length (inseam) after the first wash, but not much, if any, in the waist. You can definitely have the waist taken in or out though, so if the 32s fit well otherwise i'd just have the waist taken in a bit and you should be good to go.

12. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Hmm, I'm guessing a 9D in Beeswax leather?

Man, you're good. Beeswax in 8.5D.

13. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

Minerals aren't typically carried away in evaporated water in any appreciable quantity unless you're at extremely high temperatures. The only problem is the minerals left behind clog your machine up.
    Yeah, but anyone who has hard water and has looked at the bottom of their iron can see mineral deposits around the steam holes in the heating element. Trust me -- I have hard water and my iron has mineral deposits on the bottom. It's gotten on to my clothes before, and while it hasn't destroyed anything, I've had to be vigilant about cleaning it off. Also chlorine -- which, unlike most aqueous minerals is actually toxic -- is added to nearly all municipal water supplies as a hypochlorite solution, and has nearly the same boiling point as water. So you actually are steaming chlorine into your clothes. Granted, not very much chlorine, but it's still chlorine.

14. pronxs

pronxs Senior member

how do you get distilled water?

15. enigma77

enigma77 Senior member

how do you get distilled water?
    Drug store/grocery store

16. Epaulet

[​IMG]

Chinos just came in! The Japanese Gunmetal twill is so f'in nice!

17. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

[​IMG] Chinos just came in! The Japanese Gunmetal twill is so f'in nice!
    Not exactly the fit pic I was waiting for, but OK! [​IMG]

18. dusty

dusty Senior member

Yeah, but anyone who has hard water and has looked at the bottom of their iron can see mineral deposits around the steam holes in the heating element. Trust me -- I have hard water and my iron has mineral deposits on the bottom. It's gotten on to my clothes before, and while it hasn't destroyed anything, I've had to be vigilant about cleaning it off.

Also chlorine -- which, unlike most aqueous minerals is actually toxic -- is added to nearly all municipal water supplies as a hypochlorite solution, and has nearly the same boiling point as water. So you actually are steaming chlorine into your clothes. Granted, not very much chlorine, but it's still chlorine.

Yeah it totally deposits on your iron but you would not have any problems getting it on your clothes with a steamer, which is what we were talking about (I thought).

19. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Chlorine also dissipates into the atmosphere over time. If it's that big a deal, just fill up your iron 24 hours before or just use a spray bottle that was filled more than a day ago. I used to keep fish and had to watch the chlorine (toxic to fish.. and just about everything else, actually). Chloramine, on the other hand...

20. racknac

racknac Senior member

[​IMG]

Chinos just came in! The Japanese Gunmetal twill is so f'in nice!

Link? You should let us filter your stuff by new arrivals!!