• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
I bought that one on Mike's recommendation and it's worked great as far as I can tell. It's not as thorough as ironing but it takes hardly any time and is more than adequate for casual shirts.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I, too, am curious.

Is the steamer than a full on substitute for ironing?

Would very much prefer this to my piss-poor ironing skills.

I still iron. Especially when it comes to light colored dress shirts, the ironing skill shines thru! (Until the shirt is wrinkled in the car)

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have pretty much the same steamer and it works great if you hang dry the shirts while still damp. For some fabrics, I still need to iron or send off to the cleaners.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do most of you guys iron your casual shirts after you hang dry, or just let them be?

i hang dry and let them be

Abecedarian

Reaction score
I have a Conair steam press. Works as well as an iron but is much easier to store as it's a single unit.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Light gray Regiment Twill Walt:

digga

Reaction score
I will definitely have to consider a steamer. I run through all the water in my iron for one shirt... I'm not sure if the iron sucks or just me. Probably both, but I think it's mostly me.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started with the Conair, but found that the water condesated too much unless the head was kept above shoulder height. I then spent the extra on a Jiffy steamer with a metal head. Highly recommended.

lostintranslation

Reaction score
To everyone who responded: thank you for the advice. I let my Carminas fully dry over the night. Here are some updated pictures with what they look like after airing out a little bit:

What do you guys think? Are these boots salvageable? They look pretty bad, and I definitely learned my lesson, heh...

Last edited:

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Light gray Regiment Twill Walt:

I dig the west coast preppie vibe here a lot!

I will definitely have to consider a steamer.  I run through all the water in my iron for one shirt... I'm not sure if the iron sucks or just me.  Probably both, but I think it's mostly me.

Trust me, a decent steamer will change your life. I find it indispensable, and it's so much easier and faster to use than an iron. Just stick to distilled water to keep white flecks off your clothing - especially if you have hard tap water.

Someone should buy my shoes. :)

Agreed, they're going for $250 and in a really common size! You size 10D Barrie last guys will absolutely love these.

Any plans for new polo shirts this year? If yes - around when?

Yup, full delivery of Luchino polos is scheduled in about a month. We're restocking navy and bringing in a few new colors. Same specs as last year, but we've ordered size XS through L, so that everyone's covered (you need to size down one for the polos).

And apologies up front for the confusion on that. I tried to have our Italian factory re-tag the sizes so that they jive exactly with our shirting, but the language barrier was a little insurmountable on that point. I didn't want to risk the polos coming in too big again.

As long as you don't see visual damage it will be fine. Should be ok for a few days, but if you can go to a cobbler they should have salt stainremover avaliable

Good advice here. I just went through this exact same scenario with a pair of Ludwig Reiter shoes.

Salt stains after wearing calfskin in the rain are pretty common - especially if you're walking a lot in a city. This is my technique for dealing with them. After they dry out, use a quality saddle soap to thoroughly clean the leather. Let it dry and sit, and then follow up with (1) a leather conditioner if the salt marks come out completely or (2) a colored polish if they're still visible. It should be good to go after that.

I've never used vinegar on to clean the stains, but don't stress on that point either. If it somehow permanently tinted the leather, then bring the boots to a cobbler. He'll use a darker polish and even out the tones to a uniform color. Should be no problem.

And take your time. Once the salt dries, the stains are set anyway. It doesn't really matter if you clean the boots now or a week or two from now. Carmina uses a great quality calfskin and it should be able to stand up to salt, cleaning, and vinegar without a problem.

Mike, you rock.

Ordered the red pindot flannel Friday night and it's on my doorstep in Seattle when I get home today.

This is my first Epaulet shirt purchase and I was a little concerned about the slimming fit of the EP line. Ordered the large and it's nowhere near as slim as I thought it'd be. A regular fit J Crew medium fits well everywhere but the neck, while a slim J Crew medium is too snug on my belly. The EP large is a nice middle ground (with a perfect neck BTW). If this was a shirt I intended to tuck in frequently, I'd probably leave it but want to rock this untucked so took it to a tailor to remove the darts. Scouring the thread it seemed like the seam holes shouldn't be too noticeable on a patterned shirt.

How do you guys wash these shirts? Cold and hang dry? Should I except any major shrinkage?

Excited that I finally know my size! Thanks, Epaulet!

Thank you sir, and glad that you like the shirts! Seam holes should be no problem with the removed darts, especially after a wash. Cold wash and hang dry is what we always advise.

Care to expand on what those choices were and the rationale? I nerd out over these details so I'd be curious to hear what the tweaks were and why. I've always seen collar bands that are rounded or squared-off but have never understood the utility of one over the other. Did you change the spread at all in order to get more roll? It's hard to tell but it looks like it might be slightly farther spread than the old model. Did you increase the tie space?

Well, I don't think that there's a big functional difference beween rounded and squared collar button ends, it's just a stylistic choice. Kind of like rounded, squared, or mitered shirt cuffs.

The main thing that we did was to spread the collar out width-wise. It became a bit shorter and a bit wider. This gives it more room for a tie - especially if you like a 3" or wider size and/or a half windsor or windsor knot.

We first designed the Epaulet buttondown back in 2009, and thinner ties (like Band of Outsiders and such) were the new thing. The original concept was to make a tall, prominent, and mod collar that didn't overpower a skinny-ish tie. Since those days, there's been more interest in traditional width ties and sportcoats among our customers, so I thought that this was a good move. It retains that strong collar that we're known for, but lends itself to being dressed up a bit more - although it can certainly be worn casually without a problem.

Just received my khaki rivet chinos. Navy duck canvas suit to arrive this week.

Great clothes and friendly, fantastic customer service. That's an awsome combination.

I'm hooked.

AHS

Thank you sir - glad to hear that you're so pleased with everything!

Looking forward to ordering some Rudy fit pants this week!

Any news on what kinds of fabrics for those will be available?

We'll have nearly all of our Spring trouser line available for Rudy orders. And I've got about 20 factory find choices - all of which are lightweight and ideal for the May-Jun delivery window. Lots of linens - including striped and herringbone ones, a few tropical wools, and some great cottons.

Thanks for the update here Mike.

2 quick questions:

1) any more double monk in chocolate suede coming in the near future (or whatever the brown color was from last year)?
2) if the answer is no for the above question, then wondering if the Rand Single Monk in Snuff Suede will fit similarly to the Salinger Double Monks?

Thanks in advance and the reply as well on the darting question,
Jamie

The double monk is going to come in snuff suede, just like last year:

I'm hoping that we'll get them in the next delivery.

The Rand Single Monk fits similarly to the double monk, BUT the Rain last is not as wide as the Inca. Most customers can wear both, but if you're on the wider side of a medium width, then you're probably better off with the Inca last.

Yup. Dylan be pimpin' with a heavy hand here!

Haha, he be pimpin' er'ry day up in here!

lostintranslation

Reaction score
Thank you for your response. That's definitely nice to know. Would you guys recommend using a salt stain remover or the saddle soap (such as Kiwi's?) that Mike suggested?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics