• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grainy iPhone pic, but here's the Japanese madras I just received in the mail yesterday:
2010.06.02.jpg
It was scratchy when I first got it, so I threw it in the wash and ironed it while it was still damp. If you ask me, the fit is spot-on! - Keith

chainhead78

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Is there a special reason why size 29 doesn't exist for the Modified Walt shorts?
I was thinking about a new pair of shorts and this new fit came just in time
smile.gif

My true size is 30, but I wear a 29 in your EP's Smith Streaky (the old batch) and they fit great, but not tight at all. So i was thinking 29 could be the ideal size for me with Modified Walt since it's measured 1 inch larger according to your table.

JBG

Reaction score
Just received the 2-stroke Alden Indy boots - they are awesome! Honestly no break-in required on these - the oiled leather uppers are very supple.

These are going into the rotation with my Thorogood for Epaulet boots - I've been wearing them almost exclusively to this point, they are damn comfortable as well.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laughter95
just bought two more shirts, the lavender oxford and the striped/blue collar oxford...

stock some xs shirts in more interesting fabrics! like that grape gingham... MORE GINGHAM

Thank you sir! Our triple delivery of short sleeve gingham shirts should be here in about 4 weeks and we'll have XS's in everything. And all of our Fall specialty shirts will be done in both XS and XXL.

Originally Posted by edubs01
Just picked up the Grape gingham

Thanks dude! It's going to hook up awesome with those Chambray trousers.

Originally Posted by kgmessier
Grainy iPhone pic, but here's the Japanese madras I just received in the mail yesterday:

It was scratchy when I first got it, so I threw it in the wash and ironed it while it was still damp. If you ask me, the fit is spot-on!

Thanks for posting the photo Keith - it's a great fit on you.

And yes, the Japanese cotton/linen/ramie blend is a bit scratchy and dry before the first wash. Kind of like raw denim. But you can expect it to be softer after the first wash and a LOT softer after the second.

- Keith

Originally Posted by JBG
Just received the 2-stroke Alden Indy boots - they are awesome! Honestly no break-in required on these - the oiled leather uppers are very supple.

These are going into the rotation with my Thorogood for Epaulet boots - I've been wearing them almost exclusively to this point, they are damn comfortable as well.

Fantastic! They'll wear in beautifully - our guy in the shop bought them on arrival and has been wearing them almost daily for the past weeks. Really glad that you like them, and thanks again for your order.

And... this coming Fall we'll have a new special edition with Thorogood. I'll post up shots when I get the final production sample in mid July. It's going to be ass-kicking!

Originally Posted by chainhead78
Hi Mike,

Is there a special reason why size 29 doesn't exist for the Modified Walt shorts?
I was thinking about a new pair of shorts and this new fit came just in time
smile.gif

My true size is 30, but I wear a 29 in your EP's Smith Streaky (the old batch) and they fit great, but not tight at all. So i was thinking 29 could be the ideal size for me with Modified Walt since it's measured 1 inch larger according to your table.

The Walt & Rudy fit is very different from the EP's jeans and chino fit. We don't do 29's and 31's because almost every customer fits into the even sizes. We do a 33 because it's such a hugely popular size. The higher rise and constructed waistband means that everything drapes and contours more. I'd recommend a 30 - you should find the fit spot on. And if you want to tailor them a bit, it's really easy to get the seat and waist adjusted to your exact size. These shorts will last a few years, so a little investment in the perfect fit is definitely worth it.

slappy

Reaction score
Bought the grape gingham in large. I wanted to wait a bit longer but it seems the shirt is pretty popular so I decided to pounce before it's sold out. This will be my first purple shirt, should be good.

Does anyone own both Panta khakis and Epaulet khakis? The panta ones are $65 more but the quality is outstanding on them. I own a navy blue Panta pant, really a great fabric and MOP buttons. The khakis are a Zegna cotton/cashmere blend. So I guess my question is, how is the Epaulet khaki quality in comparison? Epaulets are 2/3 the price so Im not expecting the same level of quality, but I just want a rough comparison of construction, fabric quality and fit.

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just grabbed two oxfords. I can't wait to get them! Going to check the sizing and then grab that madras too. Good stuff.

Luke48

Reaction score
^ Eschaton master

Also, got my blue chambray shirt from Epaulet yesterday. Looks fantastic, thanks.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis
Just grabbed two oxfords. I can't wait to get them! Going to check the sizing and then grab that madras too. Good stuff.

If you're an XS or XL, I wouldn't wait. And even if not, you shoulda bought the madras first. This stuff sells out quick.

The oxfords, on the other hand, appear to be restocked often enough (see Mike's answer to my Q a page or two back).

MichaelPemulis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ahaha you got it Luke :) you are the first person on this forum to recognize the name. that chambray looks nice too, I was sorely tempted by the red. in the end I went for the red oxford.

Good to know Stanley. I am between XL and XXL I think. From the measurements it looks like XXL, but you never know really until you try a shirt on in my opinion. Now I am tempted to just also get the madras lol.

geoffmartin17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey mike,

I hate to be a nagger but is there any way we could get a sneak preview of those spread collar shirts?

I've been in the lookout for some nice slim fitting spread collar dress shirts!

-Geoff

Btw. the red poplin trousers are deadly. Compliments everytime i wear them.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slappy
Bought the grape gingham in large. I wanted to wait a bit longer but it seems the shirt is pretty popular so I decided to pounce before it's sold out. This will be my first purple shirt, should be good.

Does anyone own both Panta khakis and Epaulet khakis? The panta ones are $65 more but the quality is outstanding on them. I own a navy blue Panta pant, really a great fabric and MOP buttons. The khakis are a Zegna cotton/cashmere blend. So I guess my question is, how is the Epaulet khaki quality in comparison? Epaulets are 2/3 the price so Im not expecting the same level of quality, but I just want a rough comparison of construction, fabric quality and fit.

Thank you sir - you're going to love the Grape Gingham

And I haven't seen the Panta trousers in person, but they look great. I believe that our Walt fit is trimmer in the leg. I can't compare them directly, but in terms of construction and fabrics, our Epaulet trousers are top notch - and right on par with the Incotex and Zanella trousers that I used to buy for Saks. I decided against details such as MOP buttons because I'm very conscious about price point. I really wanted to deliver excellent cotton and wool trousers for $165 to $185 - all done with pure-fabric European and Japanese goods. I believe that they're unmatched for value. For the Fall, we'll introduce some really luxe cashmere blends at around $225. Here in our store, we definitely sell more trousers than shirts, and I think you'll be really pleased with them.

Originally Posted by MichaelPemulis

Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
If you're an XS or XL, I wouldn't wait. And even if not, you shoulda bought the madras first. This stuff sells out quick.

The oxfords, on the other hand, appear to be restocked often enough (see Mike's answer to my Q a page or two back).

Yes, these specialty fabrics are a one-shot deal for the season, but we will look to keep the oxfords generally in stock at all times.

Originally Posted by Luke48
^ Eschaton master

Also, got my blue chambray shirt from Epaulet yesterday. Looks fantastic, thanks.

Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by geoffmartin17
Hey mike,

I hate to be a nagger but is there any way we could get a sneak preview of those spread collar shirts?

I've been in the lookout for some nice slim fitting spread collar dress shirts!

-Geoff

Btw. the red poplin trousers are deadly. Compliments everytime i wear them.

Thanks Geoff, and keep a lookout this afternoon - all the spread collars are going up then! Sorry about that delay on those.

kgmessier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just realized in the last month I've purchased from Epaulet:
  • Three pairs of trousers
  • One pair of chinos
  • Three oxfords
  • One pair of longwings
On my wish list, I still have three more oxfords, at least one more pair of trousers, another pair of chinos, and those gorgeous 2-Stroke Indy boots. I need to get a second job just to fund my Epaulet habit.
smile.gif
- Keith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
Hey guys, The Rivet chinos were a huge hit, and we've sold through about 85% of our initial delivery. I'm busted up in sizes, but we're restocking as we speak. Here's what's coming down the road: Special Editions (ETA 1st week July)
4661738256_522908a808_o.jpg
Mil-Spec 100% Cotton Olive Drab This is f-ing awesome. Up until the late 60's, this was the standard-issue cloth of the US army. Afterwards it was changed to the current cotton/poly blend which is cheaper and more color fast. The beauty of 100% cotton is that it will fade with wear. Just like those vintage M65 jackets and BDU pants that you see at Army Navy shops. I bought all the fabric that they had - and we can do approximately 75 units in total. .

Mike- sounds really nice but what's the weight of the fabric? I'm loving the 8oz for summer. Is there any doubt you'll do this cut pant in corduroy for fall?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1969
Mike- sounds really nice but what's the weight of the fabric? I'm loving the 8oz for summer. Is there any doubt you'll do this cut pant in corduroy for fall?

Truthfully, I'm not sure. They didn't quote me a weight for it. I'm thinking that it's going to be heavier than the UK Twill - although not by much. It was a one-shot deal to get the fabric, as the mill barely ever runs off OD in 100% cotton. So I jumped at it. Once they arrive, we'll get the weight figured out and say how it compares to the current fabric.

I can tell you this - it's going to seriously dope with wear. I can't wait for these.

I was also able to secure a new shipment of UK twill too - so we'll be fully re-stocked in both British Khaki and Navy in about 4-6 weeks. I'm going to try and keep those in stock as much as possible.

And you bet your ass they'll be corduroy! We've got a whole range of fabrics that we'll do the Rivet Chino in for Fall. I'd say they'll be around 12-16 varieties in all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads