• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

scottcw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, and speaking of the Veneto, here is a picture of it in action by the banks of the Arno River...

Here's a detail of the jacket, shirt, and tie:

Fitting that the store owner has the bossest looks... I especially love the one-off Southwick.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any plans for the Thompson in other leather styles?

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is been asked before and I've read some of the responses, but what do you suggest doing in terms of hemming vs rolling up for rivet chinos. I'm short (5'4) and have been rolling up the pants but it gets bulky and looks bad because I have to roll it up almost four times. I have 5 rivet chinos and am thinking about getting them hemmed, but not completely sure about it.

runningfrog

Reaction score

This is been asked before and I've read some of the responses, but what do you suggest doing in terms of hemming vs rolling up for rivet chinos. I'm short (5'4) and have been rolling up the pants but it gets bulky and looks bad because I have to roll it up almost four times. I have 5 rivet chinos and am thinking about getting them hemmed, but not completely sure about it.

i'm also 5'4" and i have lots of rivets and walts. all of them are hemmed. i go with 30.5" inseam for rivets and 28.5" for walts. i slimmed down the leg width on all my walts as well. :)

Abecedarian

Reaction score

Have you considered hemming them a bit long so that you can "cuff" the bottoms? I wear it that way and quite like it.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm glad you're trying to decide what to do, because I don't think it would look as good as it can when you have to roll it up so much.

Because you're a tad on the shorter side, the general advice is not to cuff pants. The logic behind it is that the uninterrupted line of your pants from waist to shoe will elongate your legs a bit, whereas if you cuff it, it'll make your legs look even shorter than they are.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i'm also 5'4" and i have lots of rivets and walts. all of them are hemmed. i go with 30.5" inseam for rivets and 28.5" for walts. i slimmed down the leg width on all my walts as well. :)

Does that leave a lot of stacking for you on the Rivets? I'm 5'9'' and my Rivets are hemmed to about 30" give or take .5". I also have some Walts at 28.5" for a no break look.

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oops wrong thread. That's what I get for having four threads open in different tabs.

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I think it depends on how much you like the rolled up look on yourself. I don't like how most of my rivet chinos looked on me rolled up, so I hemmed all of them except for a couple where it looked decent to me rolled up.

For some reason I find most of the pictures posted here with rolled up rivet chinos to look pretty good, but I just don't like it that much when I wear them that way.

runningfrog

Reaction score

Does that leave a lot of stacking for you on the Rivets? I'm 5'9'' and my Rivets are hemmed to about 30" give or take .5". I also have some Walts at 28.5" for a no break look.

no, not much stacking. i guess my legs are long for my height.

pwnstar

Reaction score
For what it's worth, the two main things I'd love to see for spring/summer:

1) A linen safari shirt (with rolled up sleeves/buttons) in the normal epaulet sizing—I think you had one last summer but with narrower shoulders/no sleeve button (the EP-offshoot brand). I have yet to find a great version of this, and I trust epaulet to do it best!

2) Some unstructured linen blazers/suits.

Todd V

Reaction score

Have you considered hemming them a bit long so that you can "cuff" the bottoms? I wear it that way and quite like it.

I'm also 5'4". For any trousers I use for dress (walts or dress chinos) , I without cuffs unless they are heavy fabric like tweed or flannel with which I insist upon 1.5" cuffs. With the heavy stuff, it just looks wrong to me without cuffs.

For casual, wear (i.e. rivets and casual chinos) I do not hem with cuffs, rather I roll them up. I experimented a bit and I found that exactly 4" of extra length gives me enough to fold twice and leaves a nice, 1.5" "hand-rolled" cuff. (Does that make sense?) I'm picking up some rivets from the tailor on Monday and will let you know how this experiment turns out.

Also, I find that any more than two rolls/folds makes me look like Dennis the Meanace. Not good.

EDIT: Fixed all those iphone spelling errors.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads