• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

arahat

Reaction score

Jesse from Put This On broke down the cashmere situation quite nicely on his blog. Quoted from him:

"Here’s the honest truth: ........ These days, cashmere’s made with much shorter fibers, by inexpert (or uncaring) weavers in China. ....... and wears out quickly."

Is it not simplistic to quote an 'expert' who happens to make a frightfully fresh generalisation that alludes inferior Chinese manufacturing to the root of the tainted halo of cashmere?

Let us ignore the democratisation of 'luxury' goods, the burgeoning of the aspirational classes (thus supply chain issues) coupled with the excesses of clothing mercantilism and so on.

Last edited:

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mike, quick site feedback note: In Safari, when you rollover a product, the gray shadow box and the available sizes are not aligned--the sizes sit too high, so are white against the product image, making them nearly invisible. It's most apparent when there is only one or two sizes left.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I
have a quick question. I'm wearing US 8.5 in some typical Timberland boots—and they fit too wide & long. I'm wearing US 8.5 in all my sneakers (think Adidas Samba or Onitsuka Tiger) and they fit fine.

What would be the appropriate size for a Carmina Anderson boot? UK 7 / US 8???

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1898/Anderson-Jumper-Boot-Cognac/Detail

Thanks

I'm 9.5 in the Onitsuka and I wear a 8.5UK in this boot. I'd go 7.5 for you.

nextstep

Reaction score
Thanks for the very helpful tip.

How do those boots fit in UK 8.5 in your case? Tight / like a glove / wide?

My Onitsuka Tiger Mexico '66 fit me like a glove in US 8.5, but still if I push my feet to the front of the shoe I can insert my pinkie finger in the back. I remember trying US 8, and they were tight but not uncomfortable.

I'm saying this because there's only UK 7 left for the Carmina. I don't know if this will be too tight. My feet are very slim.

I also have one of those chunky Timberland boots in US 8.5, and they are way too wide and long. My feet bounce on every step.

What do you advise me to do? Apparently this boot is out of stock everywhere here in Europe. I'll be shipping it here through a friend acting as a proxy. But maybe it's a bit too risky in case they don't fit well?

Last edited:

neutrino

Reaction score
Are the items that are sold out supposed to hang around as "currently out of stock" and only disappear from the (new) site after a while? Can't see how this can be useful
lookaround.gif

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of eshops do this to give people an idea of what type of products are made/stocked, even if they are currently not available. Might not be intentional though, shrug.

ThomSquared

Reaction score
Hey Mike,

Does the new Navy Donegal Tweed Weller sportcoat match the Navy Donegal tweed walt's from last fall? If that's the case I may consider purchasing that coat. I'm not sure if the donegal's you ran this year were a repeat of last years.

mattp

Reaction score
A question for the NYC crowd: there's been a lot of discussion of Epaulet-approved tailors, but what about cobblers? I'm familiar with B. Nelson, of course, but is there anyone more downtown or even in Brooklyn for jobs that don't merit the trip uptown? Who do you guys go to for shoe repair?

leftofthedial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Mike,
Does this mean ordering a navy tweed sportcoat in a custom size (short) is not an option?
Thanks.

I believe that we have enough extra fabric to cut a couple of special orders, but not much. So keep that in mind. We can definitely take the deposit and if, for some reason, we run out, we'll totally refund you.

Mike, quick site feedback note: In Safari, when you rollover a product, the gray shadow box and the available sizes are not aligned--the sizes sit too high, so are white against the product image, making them nearly invisible. It's most apparent when there is only one or two sizes left.

Thanks for the feedback! We are definitely going to change quite a bit about the site aesthetically. We'll have all of that done in the near future.

I have a quick question. I'm wearing US 8.5 in some typical Timberland boots—and they fit too wide & long. I'm wearing US 8.5 in all my sneakers (think Adidas Samba or Onitsuka Tiger) and they fit fine.

What would be the appropriate size for a Carmina Anderson boot? UK 7 / US 8???

http://www.epauletshop.com/servlet/the-1898/Anderson-Jumper-Boot-Cognac/Detail

Thanks

I'm 9.5 in the Onitsuka and I wear a 8.5UK in this boot. I'd go 7.5 for you.

I'm gonna agree with this. I think the UK 7.5 will be spot on. I know we're sold out of that at the moment, but we're surely restocking in soon. I'd say by January or early February.

Are the items that are sold out supposed to hang around as "currently out of stock" and only disappear from the (new) site after a while? Can't see how this can be useful
lookaround.gif

Ah! We've noticed this and, again, it's something that we'll be fixed soon. For now, we'll try to actively take items that are sold out off the site.

Hey Mike,
Does the new Navy Donegal Tweed Weller sportcoat match the Navy Donegal tweed walt's from last fall? If that's the case I may consider purchasing that coat. I'm not sure if the donegal's you ran this year were a repeat of last years.

Unfortunately not. It matches the Navy UK Donegal trouser that we currently have in stock, though. It's also pretty boss as a stand alone sportcoat!

A question for the NYC crowd: there's been a lot of discussion of Epaulet-approved tailors, but what about cobblers? I'm familiar with B. Nelson, of course, but is there anyone more downtown or even in Brooklyn for jobs that don't merit the trip uptown? Who do you guys go to for shoe repair?

For high end shoes ala Alden, Carmina, C&J, etc B Nelson is definitely the way to go. I think we've all used them. If you're in BK near Carroll Gardens, there are two awesome places to get things like Red Wings, Wolverine, Chippewa etc resoled/repaired. Joseph's Shoe Repair is near the Bergen St F/G stop and his father Michael's Shoe Repair is next to the Carroll St stop. We've all used them for small things and resoles on workboots, cowboy boots and what not.

Last edited:

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Somehow I missed the whole new site launch sale thing until I got the official email in my inbox yesterday (I blame work, wife, and child). By then the camel hair blazer with the loro piano fabric in size 42 was long gone. !@#$%

If someone out there bought one and is not wild about it, I'll gladly take it off your hands. I'll even pay above the sale price to cover shipping costs. PM me if you are interested in selling, size 42 regular. I'm not expecting to hear anything, but I have to at least try.

nextstep

Reaction score

Thanks for the honest advice. I should have also said that I own a pair of Timberland boots in US 8.5 and they are way too long and wide for my feet. My size in these should be at least US 8.

My Onitsukas could also be sized 0.5 down, although I think US 8.5 is the way to go in their case.

Since the Carmina's are listed as UK 7 = US 8, don't you think that size 7 might be the correct one???

Thanks

amathew

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the solid lambswool scarves by Johnstons? How is the material?

Trying to choose between either Latte or Claret. Tough choice. I'd get the "Ontario" one, but generally stick with solid scarves.

Last edited:

Todd V

Reaction score
I just got the claret because it can go with any coat -- black, tan trenchcoat, brown leather, you name it. They wool is soft but, hey, it is wool not cashmere. The price was unbeatable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads