1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Epaulet shop - Official Affiliate thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Apr 1, 2009.

Tags:
  1. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Hey

What brands would you consider similar to epaulet?

2. GBear

GBear Senior member

Does anyone have experience with the Seaward & Stearn swim wear and their sizing? I am assuming the same size they take in Rivet Chinos. How is the 4.5" inseam length?

3. stlms3

stlms3 Senior member

Alright, so I got it. The bad news is that there was not actually a 38 left. However, I figured I would give the 40 a shot. What do you guys think overall? I will obviously get the sides tailored, and I know the neck is a bit big. But, do you think that over all the fit is good enough to roll with? I feel that it is because I will most likely be wearing it with sweaters over the winter, so it being slightly large in the neck should not be a problem. If you honestly think it is too big though, please let me know. This is the most expensive clothing purchase that I have ever made and I want to make sure that I am not just being biased.[​IMG]

4. stlms3

stlms3 Senior member

So this probably does not work but I noticed that if the buttons were moved over .5", the neck fits noticeably better. Could I have a tailor move the buttons over half an inch or will that ruin the way the jacket looks?

Thank for the help!

5. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

Ugh...I thought the fall was already going to be expensive with all of the Carmina MTOs arriving...are the boots a current Vass design (Osloer or Norweger perhaps) or something you helped come up with?

Did you get a chance to see the Radica/museum calf? I know that they had the dark brown and "gold". I believe they are also expecting a dark blue/navy. I am wondering if it looks like this:

[​IMG]

There is also a pewter which would looks pretty cool as well though I do not think they ordered it in this initial order:

[​IMG]

On the Luchino restock in about 6 weeks,will it just be the green and charcoal or will you get a couple of XLs in the other colors as well?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  6. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

Jeez Louise, the Vass stuff on FB and here looks INCREDIBLE. So much for restraint, looks like I'll be breaking out the plastic after a pretty long haitus for a pair of those.

On the Veneto jacket, stims3 it sounds like YOU think its too big. Since its an outerwear oiece it might not be that much of a concern, but Mike mentioned that they'd be kicking a few new styles of it this fall/winter. I'd wait for the right size. Sure you could have it tailored, and if your heart is set on this specific piece, that would be your answer, but if its not, I'd wait. Moving the buttons would futz with the balance of the coat I think...so I'd stay away from that. Just my 2cents.

1 person likes this.
  7. Wade

Wade Senior member

Cant you special order the double breast veneto in a 38?

8. stlms3

stlms3 Senior member

Nope, I wish you could.

9. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Vass is so superior to Alden and Carmina. This is going to be amazing. I'm hoping the price point is not too high, though.

10. hypomnema

hypomnema Senior member

Everyone says so, but I'd like to know what makes them so much better. I don't doubt it's true, but I'd like to know more specifically why. Can anyone share some first hand knowledge here? I'm pretty much set on getting a pair from EP this fall, but I'd like to know more.

11. digga

digga Senior member

Do the cotton twill LBM jackets need to be washed before tailoring? How much do they shrink?

Thanks!

12. Epaulet

Epaulet Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Vass has three crucial differences between most of the shoe companies talked about here (including Carmina, Alden, Crockett & Jones, G&G, Church's) 1) The shoes are entirely made by hand. From start to finish. The usual shoe factory is loud as hell, and theirs is nearly silent. About 10 shoemakers work there, and every stitch that you see in the shoe's construction is hand-done. Including the genuine goodyear welt. Watching this happen is absolutely mind-blowing, and Vass shoes really hark back to a past time. 2) They source world-class leathers - largely from small-scale tanneries - and the quality is absolutely gorgeous. They actually don't sell or make much shell cordovan because the calfskin and suedes are so exceptional. Their other components are also top-end. JR leather soles are their standard sole pieces. 3) The initial comfort is out of this world. With the hand-construction, you get an extremely durable welt and sole that's relatively very flexible and easily worn when brand spanking new. So there's typically less of a break-in period before everything softens up and fits completely. It comes at a price premium though, as Vass shoes will be significantly more than Carmina, and further more so than Alden. I own and enjoy several shoes from all three of them. But we've put a lot of thought and strategy into building out our shoe assortment, and each brand makes sense for what it is, and represents a great value for its price point.
    Yes, we did see the Museum calf! Ordered a double monk and a surprise boot from their Archives in it. You guys are going to love that! At the moment, there's just a caramel and a dark brown tone available, but you're correct - navy should arrive towards the end of Fall. It's stunning in person.
    Thanks for picking it up! So, me, Dylan, and Matt checked out your pic, and all of us think that the jacket looks pretty good as is. It's an outerwear piece, so nearly everyone who purchased it bought it a bit larger than a standard sportcoat. You can see how Matt and I wear ours here. Both of us definitely have enough room for a sweater underneath. And I'd recommend wearing it with that size allowance because it makes an EXCELLENT Fall and early Spring coat with that. It's warm and water-resistant, so you can wear it in a really wide range of cool and nasty weather. That said, if you want to have it taken in, that should be no problem. It has seam allowances underneath the liner. I'd go to a good tailor - someone who works well with outerwear, but you can absolutely have it taken in if you like. We had a customer in-store who was a true 34, and he did that to the 36 in order to get it to fit. But try it out with a sweater, we think that the fit looks pretty good as is. As Rob said though - I wouldn't advise moving the buttons - that's probably going to mess up the fit. Better to have it professionally altered. The pattern has been retired, so we unfortunately cannot make any more, and it will be a special and long-wearing item - so if your tailor can do the work, I think that it's absolutely worth the investment to get it fitted exactly how you want.
    Nope, not at all. They're garment dyed and effectively pre-washed, so they will not shrink any further. Feel free to tailor it as it is. I'd definitely keep them out of the dryer at all costs to prevent the dye color from fading though.

13. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

are you referring to the Navy being stunning?

for those of you wondering what a double monk in the museum calf will look like (borrowed from the Vass thread)

[​IMG]

I am definitely going to hold off on putting another order in and wait to see what your surprise boot looks like...current MTO is the Osloer in Antique Cognac Cordovan...

14. Epaulet

Cool, that's going to be so freaking boss. And I was referring to ALL of the museum calf being stunning - it's such a gorgeous leather.

15. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

I told you it would be a nice leather to try and source...I know you said the boot is a surprise design but can you at least let us know the color...dark brown or caramel?

16. Epaulet

And quick photos of us from today:

[​IMG]

I picked up some things at Knize - a really classic menswear boutique here in Vienna. It was designed by Adolf Loos, a great Viennese architect. They wouldn't let me take any photos inside, but check out how this place looks:

http://www.knize.at/de/content/1.html

I'm wearing the Aubergine Luchino Polo and Grey Hopsack shorts (we'll get those in about 2 weeks). I also have MTO Jack Purcells on. Seriously, I did it through the converse site. All navy but with a white stripe in the back.

[​IMG]

Dylan and Matt in front of Stephansdom. Dylan is wearing the hardest-working Epaulet OCBD in showbiz. And Matt's taking a day off from Epaulet modeling.

17. Epaulet

And you, sir, were entirely right! :slayer:

The makeup boot is going to be two-tone with dark brown museum calf for the bottom and chocolate suede for the shaft. It will be a very dandy Austro-Hungarian piece. For our other boot, it's a Theresianer high boot in dark cognac calf, all eyes and no hooks. That one should arrive in September.

18. stevent

stevent Senior member

Boots sound amazing!

19. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

Mike, pics look great. The last one seemed strangely familiar to me...
    I've taken a similar one when I was there last summer (albeit without Dylan and Matt [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

20. hypomnema

hypomnema Senior member

Appreciate the comments on Vass craftsmanship. Interesting detail on the sound of the workshop (especially remembering the video you guys shot at Alden here). I'm sure the price - whatever it is - will be worth it, as you guys always have reasonable prices in relation to the quality of what's offered. Thanks, Mike!