• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epaulet & Ilcea: Museum Calf Sneakers & Boots Project 2017

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
MuseumCalfSummer2017_main.jpg

Hey everyone!

We're typically on the Streetwear & Denim side of the forum, but since there's such a great community of shoe aficionados here in Classic Menswear, I wanted to quickly show you our latest project. Last year, we worked with Italy's Ilcea Concercia to offer a range of sneakers and boots in genuine Radica museum calf. The results were really stunning.. and the resulting trainers looked like nothing else on the market. We just launched our 2nd round of pre-orders today (5/30) and the preorders are open until June 13th. You can choose from five styles and four colors.. and we ask for a $110 deposit up front. The full price is $245 to $285 for the sneakers and $335 for the side-zip Combat Boots. You have to dig the styling, but quality-wise, we're not only making the best sneakers for the money, but really the best sneakers period. Each pair is made in Portugal with Italian or German sole units, kidskin liners, and poron cushioned insoles. My factory is second to none, we created our own lasts that scale in US whole and half sizes, and the finish on this Museum Calf is absolutely bonkers. Matching belts are also available for an additional $98.

You can check out the project and see a ton of images here

I'll follow this thread, so feel free to ask me any questions on sizing, styling, or whatnot.

Thanks!
Mike Kuhle, Epaulet

FrogTO

Reaction score
Can you give sizing in terms of CM brands?

Vass in Euro sizing
EG in UK
Etc.

Kierrane

Reaction score
Might you be able to help out with sneaker sizing?

I wear a size EU40 for Saint Laurent's sneakers (both the high-top and low top sneakers, looks basically identical to your fullcourt and tennis sneakers).

SL has sizing as follows:

UK 6 = US 7 = EU 40.

Your sizing chart is different.

Which size would I order from you in this case?

Thank you

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All ugly as sin.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can you give sizing in terms of CM brands?

Vass in Euro sizing
EG in UK
Etc.

@FrogTO

Sure thing! Our last is set to a standard American dress shoe, so it's close in sizing to TTS models here. Some equivalencies would often be:

Epaulet Tennis Trainer size 9
Allen Edmonds Park Ave (5 last) size 9
Converse Jack Purcell Size 9
Vans Authentic Size 9
Alden Tru-Balance & Barrie last Size 8.5
Alden Plaza last size 9
Carmina Forest, Rain, Robert last size 8UK
Edward green (common lasts) size 8UK
Vass (P2 and similar) size 41.5

These are just estimations, and everyone has a different foot shape and a different preference on how they want things to fit, but it's proven consistent over time. We've made and sold about 15,000 pairs to date. Both the sneakers and the boots are fairly easy to fit.. they mold and break in along both the width and the height, and it's easy to further customize the interior fit with their removable insoles. If you're on the fence between two sizes, I'd say to go for the larger one to be safe.

In terms of width, every last is a true medium EXCEPT for the Sport Trainer (German Army Trainer). That is a "E" last. It still works fine for a medium foot, but it will also accommodate someone who takes a wide fitting. The original German Army Trainer was designed to fit a variety of feet and work in Euro whole sizes, so the shape lends itself to working well on both D and E fittings.

Might you be able to help out with sneaker sizing?

I wear a size EU40 for Saint Laurent's sneakers (both the high-top and low top sneakers, looks basically identical to your fullcourt and tennis sneakers).

SL has sizing as follows:

UK 6 = US 7 = EU 40.

Your sizing chart is different.

Which size would I order from you in this case?

Thank you

@Kierrane

I don't have a huge amount of experience with Saint Laurent's sneakers, but I personally own a pair of their low tops from about a year ago. I wear a 42 in them really well, and I take a 9.5 in all of our in-house footwear. So I'd calculate it as such

SL 42 = Epaulet 9.5
SL 39.5 = Epaulet 7

Most guys will take the same size in our sneakers that they were in Converse Chuck Taylors. If you have a place where you can locally try them on, it would be a good guide. But if you're often wearing US7 in a lot of shoes, then I'd advise a 7 in our designs.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Epaulet How are people comparing the common projects achilles and your tennis trainer? Also a 10 on the barrie last so 10.5 right?

@indianshaft Alden is going to be a more reliable guide for sizing, as CP's are done in Euro whole size lasts and have a much narrower toe. If you're taking a 10 in Barrie then go for a 10.5 with us.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked in your affiliate thread but what are your favorite two color/style combos for the sneakers?

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I asked in your affiliate thread but what are your favorite two color/style combos for the sneakers?

@nickrut

Oh man, tough question! I'd say my top two are:

Sport Trainer in Gunmetal
Tennis Trainer in Gold

I also love the Full Court in Gold, but you've got to be a high top guy for that style

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another pic of the Slip-On's... this time featuring the famous #burzanhands pose...

View attachment 793047

Big thanks to its namesake @Burzan ... a man with admirable photography & shoe collecting skills!

Love it! Feeling quite honored seeing you hit the burzanhands haha

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Love it! Feeling quite honored seeing you hit the burzanhands haha

@Burzan haha, of course! And for the record, I'm just the photographer here... my wife is actually hitting the pose. I mean, I do have pretty fingers, but I'm not quite on her level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads