• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

storm_will_pass

Reaction score
Anyone got any insights into the properties of Tarnsjo grain and Horween hatch grain leathers? How it ages, feel/thickness, creasing etc.?

Meyboom

Reaction score
Anyone got any insights into the properties of Tarnsjo grain and Horween hatch grain leathers? How it ages, feel/thickness, creasing etc.?
Those two are very different leathers. Tarnsjo is vegetable tanned, hatch grain is chrome tanned with a print and aniline finish. This means Tarnsjo will develop a natural patina with use over time. It needs very little maintenance. Hatch grain will also age in a specific way but that is due to the finishing of the leather. It is known to be quite prone to scratches and it requires quite some maintenance unless you want to give it a more rugged look.

frighter3

Reaction score

Attachments

• download (1).jpg
    download (1).jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 127
  • download (2).jpg
    download (2).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 115
  • download (3).jpg
    download (3).jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 128
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 126

AWu

Reaction score
Cordovan: 1040 ( 832 ex vat)
Calf : 645 (516 ex vat)

Cordovan seems a nice idea (open to colour options... like col. 4/ 8/ mahogany), while for calf leather I propose oxblood

As to the last, 946 seems not an easy fitting one. Seems 062 can have better fitting?

Lastly can we do a sole like HAF sole on EG + Norwegian chain stitch?

Open to discuss :)

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

frighter3

Reaction score
Cordovan seems a nice idea (open to colour options... like col. 4/ 8/ mahogany), while for calf leather I propose oxblood

As to the last, 946 seems not an easy fitting one. Seems 062 can have better fitting?

Lastly can we do a sole like HAF sole on EG + Norwegian chain stitch?

Open to discuss :)
Norwegian, I think need to pay more.

But I am open to any ideas

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Norwegian, I think need to pay more.

But I am open to any ideas
I'm open to changing the last to 062 and going HAF sole. I MIGHT have interest if we were to go aubergine/whatever EB's closest approximation to black calf...though black is still my preference. Definitely out if we go Norwegian stitching...

The threshold for a waived fee is 4 (or more) orders, yes?

rdsr

Reaction score
For the seamless wholecut GMTO:
I slightly prefer 062 last, but 946 is totally fine as well.
For cordovan, black/off black, navy/blue, and burgundy/red/oxblood spectrums are all fine.
For calf, navy/blue, burgundy/red/oxblood are probably my top picks. Off black could be fine, straight black is a harder sell since I have a pair.
For sole my only concern is with it being too thick; preferably under 10mm which is typically single sole, but HAF sole should work too.
Going to bow out for Norwegian stitching.

frighter3

Reaction score
I'm open to changing the last to 062 and going HAF sole. I MIGHT have interest if we were to go aubergine/whatever EB's closest approximation to black calf...though black is still my preference. Definitely out if we go Norwegian stitching...

The threshold for a waived fee is 4 (or more) orders, yes?
Yup, you are totally right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads