• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well you're going to be either 8.5 or 9. Most people are down 0.5 from their G&G sizing. That being said, 74945, in my opinion, has a touch lower instep than the Bonafe 946 and 804 lasts and the same size is a little uncomfortable to me because I have a high instep. So, in my personal experience, if I were to buy something in the 74945 again, I would buy the same as my G&G size. You have no concerns about instep though.

As to toe width, I find the 946 to crowd the toes a bit. I did not have this issue with the same size in 74945.

by the way what other maker do you have for sizing comparison wise (this would be my first EB...)

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way what other maker do you have for sizing comparison wise (this would be my first EB...)

I think I agree with the premise that EB as a brand will generally have a higher instep than, say, Edward Green or G&G. However, within the myriad lasts offered by Bonafe there is variation. Honestly I found the 74945 to very similar in appearance to the Carmina Forest last, but with a higher instep. If you have a normal instep and never find yourself having to increase the size because of the instep of a shoe, I wouldn't sweat it so much. Here's what I wear:

Bonafe 804: 9 UK
Bonafe 946: 9 UK
Bonafe 74945: 9 UK a bit tight on the instep
EG 606: 9 UK (I only have Dovers on this last)
EG 202: 9 UK mostly, sometimes 9.5 UK depending on the shoe (I have trouble with the instep of their chukka boots)
EG 184: can't wear b/c of the instep
EG 82: 9.5 UK (this isn't the greatest last for me)
EG 72: 9.5 UK (only in boots and great with thicker socks)
G&G GG06: 9.5 UK in oxfords (I go F width in boots for thick socks and have an instep adjustment on one foot for chukkas)
G&G MH71: 9.5 UK
G&G KN14: 9.5 UK (instep adjustment on each foot)
C&J 341: 9 UK (these were loafers I had to sell b/c the instep was too tight...length was fine)

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you're going to be either 8.5 or 9. Most people are down 0.5 from their G&G sizing. That being said, 74945, in my opinion, has a touch lower instep than the Bonafe 946 and 804 lasts and the same size is a little uncomfortable to me because I have a high instep. So, in my personal experience, if I were to buy something in the 74945 again, I would buy the same as my G&G size. You have no concerns about instep though.

As to toe width, I find the 946 to crowd the toes a bit. I did not have this issue with the same size in 74945.
They actually are all supposed to have the same size instep. See the below chart from EB (I think these measurements are for a size 8UK) but you can see the relation amongst them. Obviously the last shapes are different and that can play into the taper towards the toe.
FF48DDB7-3F75-4A71-A432-0B8F0A145976.jpeg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
now as embarrassing as it sounds (being the starter of this GMTO), how does 74945 fit, I would say CJ 341 fits me well (348 is too tight in toebox, 236 is too short, or borderline acceptable). In general I just need toebox width (not necessarily wide, but standard to wide would be preferred), not worried about instep.

For reference

CJ 341: 8.5E UK
CJ 348: 8.5E UK (but not ideal)
GG MH71: 9E UK (TG73 and DG70 is too tight in toebox)
AM Chisel 2: 9E UK
AM Soft Square: 9F UK (took wide, never tried to go 9.5E UK, so not sure if that would have been better)

And I know something like CJ Carmina in 8.5 UK definitely does not work

One thing to note when going the GMTO route is that you can have small adjustments made to the last for no additional cost. You can lower the instep, widen the ball and/ or toes so that you don't have to size up and be stuck with a shoe that's too long or vice versa.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hum, looks like I might stick with 8.5 then, I like high instep, but don't need abnormally high

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a similar note.. regarding the 74945 Last, do most of you go with the same size as ur Carmina rain last ?
I do not. I have to go up a half size because my toes get crowded if I take 74945 last. On the top of that 74945 has a large instep so I can only wear boots on this last.
PS. I would recommend that you do not buy unless you can try it on first.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think it's a good starting point with a higher instep.

evangel21

Reaction score

Toebox wise the 74945 is more comfortable than AM's soft square in E width. I find slightly more room to wriggle my toes in the 74945 than AM soft square.

As for the instep, I suspect EB lowers it for non-lace models. I find the instep of my single monks to be lower than my oxfords. Both are 74945 and same size.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads