• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Yeah, but I think there's too many eyelets on that boot to really work with the lacing.

I've been looking at a higher chukka, like the 3838:

3838_large.jpg

I'd get did of the cap toe, but I think that one looks good. I've got quite a low instep for being an EB fan, so I need to see what works best with my instep. I do know, however, that I need my stuff lined for extra arch support.
Have you considered getting a last tuned to your feet ? I went through that with Lorenzo and it worked out well for me. Like yourself, I have a lower instep. This is what give me confidence ordering more boots from EB.

dangerous

Reaction score
Have you considered getting a last tuned to your feet ? I went through that with Lorenzo and it worked out well for me. Like yourself, I have a lower instep. This is what give me confidence ordering more boots from EB.

I have, but I like too many different lasts. The chukka I'll probably get done on 173. My jodhpurs are made on 745945.

I got following pairs:

Spectator boots 173
Brogue cap toe medallion boots 375
Blue double monks 556
Shell hunter boots 74945
Double monk chukkas 74945
Shark jodhpurs 74945

I would probably have to get two lasts done, and I think I'd rather look into St.C at that price point. I'll consider it next time Massimo comes up to Stockholm; $300 ain't that bad.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Lorenzo could get a textured navy shell. What kind of texturing do you think could work ?
Quite possibly. We got some large grain Mahogany shell for a jumper boot. I also think something like Kudu, Bison, Hatch Grain could also look good for a wholecut

gmehra

Reaction score
So what's the best place to do single MTO for EB?

I want a low chelsea, could never get enough traction on AM to do GMTO (need 12 to fully cut MTO fee), only one that has stock model I see is CJ (but on the 360 last, so the toe box might be too narrow for me).

EB seems to have 2 low chelsea model (Cary Grant and Cary Grant II, not sure what's the difference), but only "stock" I saw is on suede, so probably have to do single MTO...

and on those, as far as I can tell Cary Grant and Cary Grant II looks identical...
sorry for the confusion. this model was made for the japanese market and they used cary grant vs cary grant II based on what last was used. not sure why as for other models they use the same model number regardless of the last (perhaps a request of the japanese retailer). anyways its been updated online to only say "cary grant"

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry for the confusion. this model was made for the japanese market and they used cary grant vs cary grant II based on what last was used. not sure why as for other models they use the same model number regardless of the last (perhaps a request of the japanese retailer). anyways its been updated online to only say "cary grant"

great, just pmed you

dangerous

Reaction score
Hi @gmehra!

How would you say the different chukkas differ from each other outside of looks? Better fit for a low instep?

I like the 3838 but having a really hard time finding any pairs made on it.

Do you have any experience of them? Or pictures... I like the idea of a higher chukka.

Last edited:

gmehra

Reaction score
Hi @gmehra!

How would you say the different chukkas differ from each other outside of looks? Better fit for a low instep?

I like the 3838 but having a really hard time finding any pairs made on it.

Do you have any experience of them? Or pictures... I like the idea of a higher chukka.
they all fit the same just depends what last you use. the 773 last is good for a low instep. they can also do some adjustments to lower the instep during production

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. Model: Cary Grant
2. Last: 74945
3. Leather: deep brown grain (Skoat calls it 8177)
4. Sole: Vibram
5. Construction: Handwelt

1596200345478.png

in this leather
1596200368088.png

Last edited:

Phoenician

Reaction score
i see you have these beautiful burgundy bison leather split toe boots by Bonafe. Can you get any size in these or are they limited to a certain run? Thanks very much!
Douglas

E4D62038-96DA-4872-9C8D-E0E358B45DE2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
now as embarrassing as it sounds (being the starter of this GMTO), how does 74945 fit, I would say CJ 341 fits me well (348 is too tight in toebox, 236 is too short, or borderline acceptable). In general I just need toebox width (not necessarily wide, but standard to wide would be preferred), not worried about instep.

For reference

CJ 341: 8.5E UK
CJ 348: 8.5E UK (but not ideal)
GG MH71: 9E UK (TG73 and DG70 is too tight in toebox)
AM Chisel 2: 9E UK
AM Soft Square: 9F UK (took wide, never tried to go 9.5E UK, so not sure if that would have been better)

And I know something like CJ Carmina in 8.5 UK definitely does not work

CLTesquire

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you're going to be either 8.5 or 9. Most people are down 0.5 from their G&G sizing. That being said, 74945, in my opinion, has a touch lower instep than the Bonafe 946 and 804 lasts and the same size is a little uncomfortable to me because I have a high instep. So, in my personal experience, if I were to buy something in the 74945 again, I would buy the same as my G&G size. You have no concerns about instep though.

As to toe width, I find the 946 to crowd the toes a bit. I did not have this issue with the same size in 74945.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
hum, I said not worried about instep as in I thought all EB has higher instep vs. English...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics