Enzo Bonafe Handmade Shoes.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Chris "Italia", Nov 4, 2007.

1. DonRaphael

DonRaphael Senior member

Basically the SkoAB x Manolo shoe but in dark brown calf. Can't afford it now though, so I need to hold off for now. To my eye, the 804 last looks great with wing tips.

2. hrv123

hrv123 Senior member

So you'd recommend going with the same as my Simpson size in the 2102b? Do you have any other Carminas for comparison?

3. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

One thing to keep in mind with sizing advice is that—this is my personal observation and opinion—the larger the foot, the less accurate the advice might be for you.

If I wear a size 7 UK and someone with size 12 feet gives me advice, even if his foot is shaped the same as mine, the advice might not work for me.

I feel it's because of a general issue with scaling that makers like G&G have brought up: proportions scale differently as the shoe size goes up. Eg., the heel of a size 7 might not be too far off from a size 12, but the length and width might be vastly different relatively speaking.

So for the most accurate sizing advice possible...try to find someone with similar shape AND similarly sized feet. I know that sounds obvious but I don't think many people consider this.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015

4. dalevy

dalevy Senior member

5. Cityplace

Cityplace Senior member

Actually, never thought of this before - but makes sense. I'm generally a 11UK in almost all dress shoes/lasts I've tried and generally don't have the variations in fitting that I've seen on the boards here:

-Carmina Rain (okay fit, slight heel slip in oxfords, but fine in boots)
    - Carmina Inca (slight heel slip)
    - Carmina Robert (nice fit, but only boots)
    - St Crispin's Classic last (almost perfect)

But definitely the Simpson and 2102b fit me the best, grip the heel and allow for toe wiggle room.

Unfortunately I don't have experience with the 804 last.

6. mw313

mw313 Senior member

You are completely right that it is tough for advice from larger feet to work for people with smaller feet. We can deal with a larger variation in sizing because of the increased size of our feet. Sizes are based off of a standard increase in length and width per unit size, but as the foot is larger, the proportion of increase in size becomes smaller. A 1/4 inch increase in length for a size 7 is a much larger increase in size compared to the total length of the foot vs that same 1/4 inch increase to a size 13 shoe.

As a guy with very large feet, I can try on a half or sometimes even a whole size different in length and the fit can feel the same as long as the width size is adjusted to make the measured width the same in actual inches/cm/etc. i.e.: a size 10E vs a 10.5D vs an 11C are all the same in measured width even though the overall length of the shoe is different as well as the heel to ball measurement. For someone of average size they may be able to go from the 10E to the 10.5D and feel that they are fine with either, but slightly prefer one over the other.

In an extreme example of this, like myself, here is how it can work differently and actually make it more forgiving for large sizes to be slightly off in sizing. In Allen Edmonds on the 7-97 last, I can wear a 14A and a 15AAA. They both feel the same to me when wearing them, even though my actual length should be the 14 when looking at where my ball of my foot sits in the shoe. But since that relatively small increase is so minimal compared to the length of my foot, I really don't feel a difference at all. It also makes fitting different when there are usually not half sizes in most brands above a size 12.

This is all just for length and width of the shoe, where there are actually different sizes. It doesn't even go into the variance in proportion of the heel, toe box, etc. when increasing size.

So it is fine to use the general sizing advice that is given on SF, but you need to always take it with a grain of salt if you are a very small or large size. It is best to ask the professionals or at least look for guys of a similar size. if you are a smaller size, this will be very important because your level of tolerance between sizes most likely will be much smaller than you think. If you are a large size, you should be okay to be able to wear the pair without really noticing to much, even if you are a half size off.

7. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

8. sacafotos

sacafotos Senior member

@Leaves

Love them! Can you describe the calf of the derby boot, Betis Ebonis? Looks like a chocolate/wine shade.

9. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Betis is a bit more sporty than the normal "vitello". The color is a proper dark brown hue, maybe the photo makes it look like there's more red in it than there is.

10. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

Final request, any pictures of one of the shoes with peccary face in the wild? :D Bueller?

11. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Ifi can get one more joiner in my proposed Adelaide GMTO with peccary facing, I promise to post some pics of it IRL :)

12. ThunderMarch

ThunderMarch Senior member

Haha,
    I have a feeling MSchapiro might not be able to wait 6months for that picture.

13. MSchapiro

MSchapiro Senior member

I have decided I will leave it to chance. If someone buys my AEs or Aldens I will get the pair ;). One black shoe for one black shoe.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

14. thatisgross

thatisgross Well-Known Member

Here you go :-*
    http://imgur.com/a/DrKuD

With terrible lighting so you can compare to Skoak's ridiculously perfect lighting.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015

15. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Message me deets please!