• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dangerous

Reaction score
20210228_133708.jpg

Throwing up the picture in here too. Shark nubuck. Alligator strap.

Amazing single MTO through the very best Skoaktiebolaget.

$350(? 300 euro) for the leather is a bargain.

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise on 74945 last sizing compared to Carmina Rain and various Alden lasts? I take the following sizes:

Carmina Rain: 6.5 UK
Alden Barrie/Trubalance/Van: 7 US
Alden Aberdeen/Leydon: 7.5 US

I think I’d be a 6.5 UK in 74945 but want to confirm. Best fit in the lasts above are Rain and Van.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone advise on 74945 last sizing compared to Carmina Rain and various Alden lasts? I take the following sizes:

I think I’d be a 6.5 UK in 74945 but want to confirm. Best fit in the lasts above are Rain and Van.
Sounds like UK6.5 should work for you. EB will have a slightly higher instep than Rain

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like UK6.5 should work for you. EB will have a slightly higher instep than Rain
Awesome. Thanks. This is a silly question but what does it mean for a last to have a higher instep, practically? Does that translate to more volume, a higher arch, more room across the top of the foot specifically?

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks. This is a silly question but what does it mean for a last to have a higher instep, practically? Does that translate to more volume, a higher arch, more room across the top of the foot specifically?
More room across the top of the foot specifically

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More room across the top of the foot specifically
Got it. I think that will work well, as that is where the fit on my Rain lasted shoes is less than perfect (pressure on tarsal or metatarsal bone of my “thumb” toes?).

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got it. I think that will work well, as that is where the fit on my Rain lasted shoes is less than perfect (pressure on tarsal or metatarsal bone of my “thumb” toes?).
Sounds like you'll really like the fit then. Should be close to perfect

dangerous

Reaction score
Dangerous: that's one aggressive look! How does the leather feel when walking? Supple and easy like calf or thick and in need of a heavy breaking in?

It's super soft and supple. No problem at all; it is really, really, smooth which surprised me a lot since standard shark can be very stiff.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I would say the 74945 has a higher instep and a bit more width at the ball of the foot compared to the rain last

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say the 74945 has a higher instep and a bit more width at the ball of the foot compared to the rain last
I think that should be fine. In terms of lasts being loose, I usually only run into trouble at the heel.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks, I just listed a pair of Armagnac hatchgrain Balways in UK8, 74945 last with instep adjustment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads