• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mallaig

Reaction score
I've been thinking of making a chukka. These are actually really nice; I think EB got some of the best chukks around, but these might be a step up from the other models.
Agreed. When I saw these I thought of the Zonkey wholecuts. I could imagine having a pair made on the 74945 last (a bit slimmer perhaps @jischwar ?) in a navy shell. It would be an interesting alternative to both boot and chukka.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So what's the best place to do single MTO for EB?

I want a low chelsea, could never get enough traction on AM to do GMTO (need 12 to fully cut MTO fee), only one that has stock model I see is CJ (but on the 360 last, so the toe box might be too narrow for me).

EB seems to have 2 low chelsea model (Cary Grant and Cary Grant II, not sure what's the difference), but only "stock" I saw is on suede, so probably have to do single MTO...

and on those, as far as I can tell Cary Grant and Cary Grant II looks identical...

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. When I saw these I thought of the Zonkey wholecuts. I could imagine having a pair made on the 74945 last (a bit slimmer perhaps @jischwar ?) in a navy shell. It would be an interesting alternative to both boot and chukka.
That's exactly what I thought of as well. They seem to look good with heavily textured leather too.

dangerous

Reaction score

I want a low chelsea, could never get enough traction on AM to do GMTO (need 12 to fully cut MTO fee), only one that has stock model I see is CJ (but on the 360 last, so the toe box might be too narrow for me).

EB seems to have 2 low chelsea model (Cary Grant and Cary Grant II, not sure what's the difference), but only "stock" I saw is on suede, so probably have to do single MTO...

and on those, as far as I can tell Cary Grant and Cary Grant II looks identical...
They are the exact same pictures, so that's odd.

Skoaktiebolaget is the way to go for me, mainly because they're local to me.

I like the idea of a low chelsea a lot, but ... yeah. I don't like elastics so they are no-go for me.

Enzo Bonafé can extend the heel stiffener to go all the way to the arch for extra support, which is what I do on all my single MTO-stuff. I underrated that aspect when I got my shell boots from Skoaktiebolagets stock; it just does not fit the same way, and is not as nice, as it is with the arch support.

dangerous

Reaction score
Yeah, but I think there's too many eyelets on that boot to really work with the lacing.

I've been looking at a higher chukka, like the 3838:

I'd get did of the cap toe, but I think that one looks good. I've got quite a low instep for being an EB fan, so I need to see what works best with my instep. I do know, however, that I need my stuff lined for extra arch support.

Mallaig

Reaction score
Yeah, but I think there's too many eyelets on that boot to really work with the lacing.

I've been looking at a higher chukka, like the 3838:

I'd get did of the cap toe, but I think that one looks good. I've got quite a low instep for being an EB fan, so I need to see what works best with my instep. I do know, however, that I need my stuff lined for extra arch support.
Have you considered getting a last tuned to your feet ? I went through that with Lorenzo and it worked out well for me. Like yourself, I have a lower instep. This is what give me confidence ordering more boots from EB.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are the exact same pictures, so that's odd.

Skoaktiebolaget is the way to go for me, mainly because they're local to me.

I like the idea of a low chelsea a lot, but ... yeah. I don't like elastics so they are no-go for me.

Enzo Bonafé can extend the heel stiffener to go all the way to the arch for extra support, which is what I do on all my single MTO-stuff. I underrated that aspect when I got my shell boots from Skoaktiebolagets stock; it just does not fit the same way, and is not as nice, as it is with the arch support.

thanks, and shameless plug, let's see if I can get to 4...

dangerous

Reaction score
Have you considered getting a last tuned to your feet ? I went through that with Lorenzo and it worked out well for me. Like yourself, I have a lower instep. This is what give me confidence ordering more boots from EB.
I have, but I like too many different lasts. The chukka I'll probably get done on 173. My jodhpurs are made on 745945.

I got following pairs:

Spectator boots 173
Brogue cap toe medallion boots 375
Blue double monks 556
Shell hunter boots 74945
Double monk chukkas 74945
Shark jodhpurs 74945

I would probably have to get two lasts done, and I think I'd rather look into St.C at that price point. I'll consider it next time Massimo comes up to Stockholm; $300 ain't that bad.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Lorenzo could get a textured navy shell. What kind of texturing do you think could work ?
Quite possibly. We got some large grain Mahogany shell for a jumper boot. I also think something like Kudu, Bison, Hatch Grain could also look good for a wholecut

gmehra

Reaction score

sorry for the confusion. this model was made for the japanese market and they used cary grant vs cary grant II based on what last was used. not sure why as for other models they use the same model number regardless of the last (perhaps a request of the japanese retailer). anyways its been updated online to only say "cary grant"

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
sorry for the confusion. this model was made for the japanese market and they used cary grant vs cary grant II based on what last was used. not sure why as for other models they use the same model number regardless of the last (perhaps a request of the japanese retailer). anyways its been updated online to only say "cary grant"
great, just pmed you

dangerous

Reaction score
Hi @gmehra!

How would you say the different chukkas differ from each other outside of looks? Better fit for a low instep?

I like the 3838 but having a really hard time finding any pairs made on it.

Do you have any experience of them? Or pictures... I like the idea of a higher chukka.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

• Disposable surgical mask

• White cotton mask

• Linen-lined mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

• Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

• Solid color silk mask

• "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

• Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

• Denim mask

• Face shield

Results are only viewable after voting.